Where to get new parts for repair? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Where to get new parts for repair?

Thanks to everyone's great help here I decided that I have to replace my starter relay. I am studying up on how to remove the plastics and find the relay.

#1 Do I have to REMOVE the gas tank to get at this starter relay?

#2 Where would you recommend I get the starter relay and is it a KIT or just a new relay?

Thanks again for all your help!

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:19 pm

Re: Where to get new parts for repair?

I like Bob's BMW in maryland, good people and good service. They also stock parts I thought would have to be ordered.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 6:00 pm

Garage

Try Denise at Bentonville cycles, Bentonville, AR. 479-273-1807. Personal service and fair prices.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 3:37 am

You got the parts info so I'll answer your other question. Yes, you do have to remove the tank. Make sure you find the post that tells you how to install the new relay. It's a little different so you have to bust off a chunk of plastic and attach a wire to an existing wire.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...+starter+relay

2nd post

While you are in the neighborhood be sure you check your air filter.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 8:20 am

Fuel filters are inexpensive compared to the time to take the tank off to replace the little bugger.

If I remember correctly the price of the kit to replace those defective starter relays will take your breath away?

I see a lot of LT being parted out on eBay. Consider asking one of the strippers how much for a relay?

I remember some people using a relay from a pick up truck--think they relocated it?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 8:24 am

Well. It suddenly occurred to me that a forum member was parting out his LT, a 99 or 00?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/shoswell/m.h...id=p4340.l2562

He might have the updated relay in his bike?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 4:05 pm

You do have to take the tank off to replace the Relay. The early model LT's had a problem with the relay sticking open, and you can purchase a relay the cures that problem, but it costs about 3 times more too. I had mine stick when I let my battery get low one time. I suspect there are few dealers that are going to have that relay in stock, so you might try Indy BMW. I have had them order parts and ship them to me. If you need help replacing it, my buddy Billd and I live in Lafayette.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 4:08 pm

BTW, since you have to take the tank off, it is a good time to replace the fuel filter, and replace the air cleaner. It is also easier to flush the radiator with the tank off, and if you haven't put quick disconnects on the fuel lines -- a good time to do so.
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
If you need help replacing it, my buddy Billd and I live in Lafayette.
That is a very kind offer. Thank you! I figure I will use the late fall early winter time here to learn how to take this thing apart, fix what I need to, do the services that need done, then put her in storage until spring. However, when Spring comes around, we have got to get together for some riding!

post #10 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 10:55 pm

if you elect to install an original style relay, you may consider using it as a pilot relay to run a ford starter relay to actually do the starting, thereby eliminating any future problems with contacts arcing and sticking on the oem starter relay. It's a pretty cheap and easy way to avoid a future problem.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in