Silly seat question. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Silly seat question.

Ok guys, this might sound like a stupid question, but I am a bit ignorant about some of the features of the K1200LT bike we got a couple of months ago. It is a `07 storm gray with the light grey heated seat color. Question is , is it the soft touch seat? or the regular seat? would love to know how to tell the difference without having to go touch another bike`s seat. I`m 160 lbs and don`t really bothers my specially since the longest ride we did was from Tampa to Daytona non stop with a 1 and half hour stop and go accident on I 4 and same the way back, but I`m having some lower back issues that trigger this pain down my left leg (Sciatic nerve pain) that was caused at work lifting stuff. And want to make any adjustments needed as preventative measures. I never had a back pain from riding a motorcycle, but who knows, after this episode would like to know I did all I could to make my riding a pleasure, specially since we are planning long rides in the future. Any help or ideas will be greatly apreciated.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 1:58 pm

Re: Silly seat question.

Hi, doesn't matter if soft touch or the normal seat if you can't sit on it I would recommend to use a Corbin, Rick Meyer or other custom made and fit to your but seat. I have had the same problem couldn't solve it and bought a Corbin, pain is history.

Manfred
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 8:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The soft touch seat has stiching in the surface. the standard seat does not. Neither fit my butt. I went with a Russel day long never looked back.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:02 pm

+1 corbin seat. very comfy. after 7 hrs on the bike no problems in the butt dept.

93 katana 600 wrecked
82 v45 magna sold (never should have)
80 xj650 maxim sold but not forgotten
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 3:28 am

I was very fortunate to pick up a second hand Bill Mayer seat. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 6:51 am

Not a silly question at all BMW makes a damn fine motorcycle but they haven't a clue on how to build a seat.

The foam they use deforms after a very short period of time and gets worse if that's possible as time goes by which kills your back and if you're like me my hips to the point that I could barely walk after a half hour on the bike.

Do yourself a favor and get a custom saddle ya it costs a bit more but that problem you're having with the seat isn't going to get any better.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. Guess I have the soft touch with the stiching on both sides of the top surface. I will give it a try in the next couple of weeks on a long ride since this is the first time after a back injure. Money is not a issue soooooooo if you can recomend somebody in the central florida area that can match this light grey color it would be good. I mean central florida because I don`t know if they have to take some measurements or what they do ( NO I WILL NOT LET THEM TOUCH MY BUTT ) . Or if they can do that anyways without taking measurements I can have it done anywhere in the states providing you can racomend a reputable place capable of matching the color. Once again thank you for the fast responses.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 11:28 am

I still have the stock seat. My lower back pain went away wirh the addition of a Bakup (sp) backrest. It made all the difference in the world. Bought it used for $100.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 11:31 am Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea also. I will look into that as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in