Sticking brake lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dick
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Sticking brake lights

My 99' KLT started to have a problem with the brake light staying on after releasing the brakes. Seems either brakes will cause the problem. Even when I turn off the bike the brake light stays on. I have to mess with the brakes to get the lights to turn off. I have cleaned the rear brake petal switch pluncher etc. But not fixed. Thanks for reading this and helping. Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:39 pm

Re: Sticking brake lights

Relay stuck?

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:31 am Thread Starter

Where do I find the relay I will check it out C-A-D

post #4 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStaske
Hi, Paul - I lifted this paragraph from a post I made a hunnert years ago. Hope it'll help you fix your 'always on' brake light problem. You'll have way much fun doing the fix!! BTW - for more reading material, do a search on "brake light relay" or "brake relay" - many threads on the problem, going back several years. Good luck, Paul.

"BTW - the electrical box isn't all that hard to git to (remove both upper fairings, mirrors, wind wings, stingray, seat bracket and gas tank). Remove just the smaller, lower compartment of the electrical condo (held in place by four philips screws); pull the fuse/relay bundle holder out and twist the bundles over for access to the keeper block that holds the motronic relay alongside the brake light relay. Bit of a pain removing the relay, unless you have 4 hands the size of Barbie's; butt you can see the lever at the bottom of the keeper that'll release the block. With the block released off the holder, you can remove the brake light relay by spreading apart the lug-grippers. Pull the relay spades out and insert the new one - the lugs will snap into the grippers; slide the keeper block back onto the fuse/relay bundle holder; and insert the holder back into it's runner - sliding everythang to the back wall of the compartment. Line up the seal-groove of the cover and tighten down the four screws. BTW - there wuz a coupla dead mini-bugs and some dust/debris inside our compartment, so I blew thangs clean with some canned air. "
lloydster65 likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStaske
Sorry. I haven't had the pleasure to work with it but it should be in the electrical box under the gas tank. Exact location there unknown to me. I would bet somebody on this forum can pinpoint you the one. BTW: There is similar thread at the bottom. Perhaps also worth reading for.

-Seppo

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:40 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is what it looks like when you pull it all out.

On the 2000 there are only the two switches and the one relay involved so it is either a sticking switch (front or rear) or a sticking relay. On the front (in a quiet place) you can hear the distictive "click" of the micro switch as you pull the lever. Likewise on the foot brake, you should hear a distictive "click". The little metal paddle under the adjustment bolt is the lever arm for that microswitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	33445  
lloydster65 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Nov 3rd, 2011 at 11:51 am.
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 2:39 pm

Might as well go ahead and get an air filter and fuel filter to change out while you're in there..

That's a deep trip into the bowels of the LT...And the air and fuel filters are right there....

Not so far as a sprague clutch job.. But you're going in.... Oh, And some fuel line quick disconnects too....

It's not difficult.. Just a lot of parts to take off to get to the relay underneath the gas tank on the right side of the bike...

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

I believe it's the relay since its either brake will cause the issue. I will have to take the bike in since I don't have the time. Thanks everyone if you think of anything else would be great.
post #9 of 25 Old Nov 7th, 2011, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Found out what the problem is, its gummed up switches Front and Back so I ordered new switches to replace. I stopped by the BMW dealer and that was the problem.
post #10 of 25 Old Feb 18th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Does anyone have the part # for the relay. 99 LT
post #11 of 25 Old Feb 19th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I see it is not listed in the parts catalog. Looking at the schematic it appears to have the terminal marking of 85,86,87 & 30 of a standard relay that you can get anywhere. May be able to find one locally at any parts house. Usually though, that is not the cause of sticking brake lights. It is usually one of the switches.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 25 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 5:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The brake switches are clean and give out a nice click when depressed even after removal and playing with them. I do have the relay removed but haven't had sucess troubleshooting it. I'd like to return to the switches but I can't find where they disconnect from the harness. Can anyone tell me where the connection is? "Z Man", thank you
post #13 of 25 Old Feb 20th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you are trying to test the input from the switches to the relay then with the relay out measure 12v (key on) with the switch closed at pin 3 at the relay(green/yellow wire). If you get 12 v therewith th elever or pedal pulled/pushed and it goes away when you release the pedal/lever then the relay is bad. Try checking the relay for a short from terminal 30 and 87 if it is then the relay is bad.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

With both brake fuses in, ignit on and brake pulled/pushed- have12.5 volts at terminal #3. Release brake and get 10.5 volts at term #3.

I'm not understanding the 85,86,87 and 30. The relay and relay receptacle are marked 1,2,3,and 5. 4 is blank. At the receptacle, red is #1, Brown is #5.

Tried getting a relay at an auto parts. No go. Checked 2 BMW dealerships. They don't know which relay it takes, but 2 likely candidates are on order. It'll be at least 3 days, so in the meantime I'd like to isolate the brake switches and test them, while also saving a 100 mi round trip if either is faulty.

I'm still grappling with it and appreciate all input.
post #15 of 25 Old Feb 21st, 2012, 10:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The 85,86,87, & 30 are standard US markings on relays and they relat to BMW relay markings as 30 - 1, 86 - 3, 85 - 5 and 87 - 2. If you can find a relay at an auto parts store that will physicaly match up with yours then it should work. Terminal 1 should be hot all the time (key off). Terminal 5 is the ground for the relay coil. Terminal 2 goes to the brake lights. There should be zero volts at terminal 3 with no brake switch made. I believe you are seeing a leakage voltage from one of the switches if you see 10.4 volts and that is enough to operate the relay.
lloydster65 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 9:29 am

I've had a switch with an internal short that was intermittant, very frustrating and actually found it when it acted up while on the road - disconnected suspected clicking switch with bike running, brake light on - rear on a K1100 which is easy to get at - it only liked to act up when it got hot from engine heat

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #17 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 8:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well, today pin #3 drops to 0 volts when brake is released. Continuity check of relay shows no fault. I love electrical problems. Sensitive to temp, humidity, time of day and the day of the week. I'll be replacing the relay when it arrives, then at least, can reassemble. Will speak up when the results are in. Thank you John Z and Gary.
post #18 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

Bet it's not going to be the relay. Probably one or both of the Micro Switches need replacing. Just went through this identical problem on my '99 and it was one of the switches even though we could hear the click on and the click off. The relay checked out as fine. Go figure.

Good luck though.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #19 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
I love electrical problems. Sensitive to temp, humidity, time of day and the day of the week.
Not to mention what color corduroy pants you are wearing and whether you hold your tongue just right as you fiddle with the contacts.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 25 Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 10:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

T.connell- I hope it's not the switches. Those things are expensive. But maybe the clicking I heard were the whales communicating at the lake. It's 6 miles away but I have sensitive ears.

Deputy- I had my game face on too and I thought I was the only one left still wearing corduroy.
post #21 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 3:24 am
Enjoy The Ride

It was the relay on my LT causing the brake light to stay on. I bought one at Advance Auto Parts for a few $.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #22 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:22 am

Any auto parts store will have one of these. They are commonly called lighting relays. If you want a good one (Echlin) you can get one from NAPA for a whopping $9 full bore retail price. Might save you a trip.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I see it is not listed in the parts catalog. Looking at the schematic it appears to have the terminal marking of 85,86,87 & 30 of a standard relay that you can get anywhere. May be able to find one locally at any parts house. Usually though, that is not the cause of sticking brake lights. It is usually one of the switches.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #23 of 25 Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
Deputy- I had my game face on too and I thought I was the only one left still wearing corduroy.
You are!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #24 of 25 Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

The Napa relay is an Echlin ECH AR614

No other problems apparent. I'm back on the road. Thank you all for the information.
post #25 of 25 Old Feb 5th, 2016, 3:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So, here it is, 4 yrs later & l had no brake lights. I ohmd out stop light relay & nothing was out of character. I replaced the relay & the brake light is now acting as it should. It seems a bit much to install 2 relays in 4yrs. I don't know, maybe something is cooking the relay. Regardless, it's being reassembled now. I may need to attend a tech session on relay troubleshooting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in