K1200LT 2000, Starter motor won't shut off? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:56 am Thread Starter

K1200LT 2000, Starter motor won't shut off?

It has been a bad day. My starter motor suddenly started staying on when when I use the handlebar switch to shut off the engine. When I turn the key off it stops. Any ideas of what could cause this? I am thinking a ground fault perhaps?

I am in Fort Wayne IN and our only BMW dealer gave up the line. Has anyone had any luck with repairs by non-BMW dealers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Re: K1200LT 2000, Starter motor won't shut off?

NEVERMIND on the starter issue. Repeatedly pushing the starter button solved the problem. I WILL be installing a new relay. My starter button is trashed so I am going shopping for a new starter side cluster!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmclay
It has been a bad day. My starter motor suddenly started staying on when when I use the handlebar switch to shut off the engine. When I turn the key off it stops. Any ideas of what could cause this? I am thinking a ground fault perhaps?

I am in Fort Wayne IN and our only BMW dealer gave up the line. Has anyone had any luck with repairs by non-BMW dealers?
I know from some other early LT issues that a low battery can cause the starter relay to stick.. Normally the failure is more catastrophic.. melting wires and battery meltdown !.. but I want to ask you about battery condition and charge level ?? If a partial stick of the start relay occurred.. I wonder if this could be the cause.. The later LT's have a relay with a safety circuit inside that prevents the contact point stick if the voltage is low.. This sure sounds like a starter relay problem..
PS My riding buddy and I live in Lafayette IN and I am not afraid of most any repair or service procedure :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana

post #4 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:06 am

Hey.. say posting.. make sure the battery is not so old as well.. !! and Beautiful bike.. !!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #5 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:27 am

here is a link to a thread about 00LTs:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=2000LT

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:30 am

Hmm. Sounds like starter relay BUT shouldn't starter keep on running even though one turns the key off if it really is the melt down relay (?)

Stupid Finn.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmclay

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 12:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D
Hmm. Sounds like starter relay BUT shouldn't starter keep on running even though one turns the key off if it really is the melt down relay (?)

Stupid Finn.....
True but he did say his starter switch was also messed up and he plans to change out that switchset. That could be the cause and not just the relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Well, this morning sucked. The starter running problem has been going on for a few weeks now and I have a BRAND NEW BATTERY! It's never the easy stuff, is it?

While screwing with the bike trying to get the starter to stop running the bike fell over and the starter button was RIPPED OFF and the black plastic casing was broken too. It seems the only way to fix is to replace the whole assembly new for $431 just for the right side cluster or buy just the switch cluster piece that faces the driver for about $100+ from EBay if you can find one in good condition. Does this sound accurate? I haven't figured out how to remove that front piece but it must be possible because I saw the parts on EBay.

If someone could point the way to
1. Disassembly procedure to get at the relay
2. Disassembly procedure to replace that right cluster

I sure would appreciate it. I'm nervous but not scared.....or should I be?

post #9 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
PS My riding buddy and I live in Lafayette IN and I am not afraid of most any repair or service procedure :<)
Thanks for the great advice. Sadly, I don't think it is a bad battery as it is brand new adn been on a trickle charger too but I haven't tested the battery yet either. I joined here to see if I could meet some fellow Hoosiers to ride with. If I can't solve this on my own I might hit you up in the spring. Fort Wayne no longer has a BMW dealer . I'm on my own....

post #10 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
here is a link to a thread about 00LTs:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=2000LT

Best
Bob
This is showing as a dead link......

post #11 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The starter relay is in the relay box under the fuel tank. There are some shots of what it looks like.

To remove the switch set. You see the big phillips screw facing you - pull that. Now look in the back side where the hole is and there is a tiny phillips there -pull that. Underneath there are two scews one chrome and one black the removes the bottom cover. Then you have to remove the bar covers and the fuel tank as that wiring goes down into the electronics box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronic box.jpg
Views:	5221
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	33433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old relay.jpg
Views:	2471
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	33434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay out.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	33435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimp connector.jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	33436  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 7:24 pm

If you do get a new starter button setup any chance that I could have the old one? My kill switch is broken and I am wondering if I can cobble yours onto mine.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #13 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:21 pm

Dead link?

Well, guess that isn't helpfull!

Here you go:
"For the 2000LT you want to make sure it has had the defective chip in the computer change to one that does not have hesitation during hot wx; make sure the stock defective starter was changed; make sure the crash pan for the tranny was installed. Look carefully for seepage where the clutch housing meets the tranny.

Oooooh! The speedo, by design, reads too high. Doing 80 on the speedo meat I was going around 72. This is a simple mod to fix that. However it takes a long time to strip the panels of to get to the back of the speedo.

BMW came out with “new” cables for the throttle, new rear disc to help get rid of the screeeeaching from braking.

If it still has rubber brake lines those MUST be replaced. Most go with steel lines. Figure on replacing the stock shocks every 22K or so. Count on replacing the stock low beam with a HID.

Make sure the cruise control works. It’s a real PITA to track down why it doesn’t work.

The stock seat got me wiggling around after 30 mins or so.

Since the front and rear brakes aren’t linked, changing the brake fluid is easy.

The first thing I did to mine was getting Speed bleeders for mine.

I took out the CD changer, use a cassette adapter and run my IPod into it.

Yup. The plastic screen on the radio fogs up. There are many posts on how to clear it up.

Changing the rear pads to “HH sintered?” improves braking and possibly gets rid of the brake screech?

2000s came with a stock tool kit—very handy.

You’ll find an answer to just about any question you come up with on this site.

Best from Gorham Maine.

Ooooooh!! The 24K maintenance is EXPENSIVE!! It involves taking the gas tank off. Easy to do but the time it takes to remove all of the panels and then put them back on is a black hole that you shovel time into."

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #14 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:33 pm

You will find people in your region by looking in the Mid West forum:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

It takes a while to get used to this site--there is just so much info and so many people now.

If you can take a pix and post it, more people will know what parts you need.

You can look on line for parts schematics and parts numbers. It will help you see what has to be removed to replace the switch and relay.

MAX BMW has on line parts schematic.

Trying to get the torx screw driver into the recessed bolts under the handle bars used to take me HOURS!! Buying a small mirror on a stick reduced it to minutes.

Trying to remove the screws under the clutch and front brake controls on the handle bars was a real PITA without the small mirror.

Some where in this site are good directions on how to replace the throttle cables that will walk you through taking that switch assembly apart.

Bob

post #15 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:41 pm
Super Moderator

How about some picts of the broken parts on the handle bar - I have spares and pending what's broken I could give you the repair parts!! Just "paying it forward" . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #16 of 34 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:40 pm

I have a stupid question. As this is a new K1200 lt owner and he hears what he thinks is the starter still engaged. On my 99 Lt I had a bad ABS relay that kept the ABS motor running even if the switch was turned off and it sounded like a starter motor running. Is it possible that it is an ABS relay. On mine the battery was bad and week that cause it to fault and stay on. The dealer changed a relay under the tank. Maybe in the same area of the photos that John posted. A year later I was having ABS malfunction light problems again and found that there is a relay on the front left of the ABS unit under and to the left of the battery. With great difficulty and scared hands I removed the old on and put on a new one and have not have any problems since.( knock on wood) That was about 5 yrs ago.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #17 of 34 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 7:06 pm

I think it is time HOST a SERVICE party.

If your weather is like ours, you will have ready by spring.

Lots of LUCK.George
aka MT Helmet
post #18 of 34 Old Aug 25th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Garage

My 2000 has starter keeps running once in a while
fix is hit starter switch once or twice.

I read there is a starter relay upgrade that fixes it
post #19 of 34 Old Aug 25th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post

Install the Ford relay and forget about it. If it sticks once it'll stick again with possibly catastrophic results. Could even lead to a complete meltdown and fire. Fix it now!

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #20 of 34 Old Aug 26th, 2014, 10:15 am

Quote:

Fix it immediately! Before you get total meltdown / permanently stuck relay causing potentially real big problems! So new relay - Ford or original...

post #21 of 34 Old Oct 19th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Garage

I had the exact problem once in a while

Symptoms, while running , lights etc are off, try to turn off, starter runs.

Hit start button a few times then everthing works ok
Related to second wire on starter relay

Replaced relay with $10 ford relay
Starts better, reverse much more powerful, almost too fast

Tied the 2 wires together
on old relay were tied through resister, not sure about second wire use
Cannot see voltage on it, if I put it on I connector on ford relay, starter would run when shutdown, tied together no issues
post #22 of 34 Old Oct 19th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Garage

The starter button terminal on starter I have on s terminal on ford relay.

What does the other blade terminal go to?
post #23 of 34 Old Oct 19th, 2014, 11:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmclay View Post
NEVERMIND on the starter issue. Repeatedly pushing the starter button solved the problem. I WILL be installing a new relay. My starter button is trashed so I am going shopping for a new starter side cluster!
That bike is exactly the same as mine.
post #24 of 34 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 3:38 am

Quote:
I had the exact problem once in a while

Symptoms, while running , lights etc are off, try to turn off, starter runs.

Hit start button a few times then everthing works ok
Related to second wire on starter relay

Replaced relay with $10 ford relay
Starts better, reverse much more powerful, almost too fast

Tied the 2 wires together
on old relay were tied through resister, not sure about second wire use
Cannot see voltage on it, if I put it on I connector on ford relay, starter would run when shutdown, tied together no issues
NOTE. Note sure but starter relay shouldn't have anything to do with reverse being more powerful. See zeilers note on this in other thread:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...s-rebuild.html

post #25 of 34 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Garage

I saw someone said, maybe not this thread, starter motor goes in reverse.
It cannot, since one pole is grounded, the reverse gears reverse the power for reverse.

Anyone know what the wires to strater relay go to.

I know Snarter button, 1st blade connector
The starter and power

2nd blade connector?
post #26 of 34 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 5:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I saw someone said, maybe not this thread, starter motor goes in reverse.
It cannot, since one pole is grounded, the reverse gears reverse the power for reverse.

Anyone know what the wires to strater relay go to.

I know Snarter button, 1st blade connector
The starter and power

2nd blade connector?
If you are referring to the ford style solenoid the second small connection was used for ignition on old vehicles before all the electronics. Just tape over it.
post #27 of 34 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 6:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You must use the old relay to trigger the new starter relay and leave the starter button wiring alone. You can do this even with a sticking old relay as the current draw of the Ford relay will not cause it to stick. Just remove the starter relay output wire at the terminal junction behind the battery and run it to the trigger for the ford relay. Ground the other terminal then run a new wire from the Ford relay to the battery and one to the terminal. Don't even have to go into the relay box to do this. There is a reverser controller that feeds reduced voltage (on that same terminal) to the starter motor for reversing as well as bumping up the RPMs for more alternator current. The reverser controller is a $1,500 part you do not want to risk blowing it up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #28 of 34 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Garage

as I said above
BMW k1200lt starter solenoid

1st connector Starter
2nd connector Battery Positive
3rd Connector Start button
4th conenctor Unknown

Does anyone know or have a schematic for the starter circuit?
post #29 of 34 Old Oct 20th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

1st connector Starter
2nd connector Battery Positive
3rd Connector Start button
4th Connector :

Brown/Green/White and it goes through the F-R switch to the reverser controller. It interrupts the ground to the starter relay when you have the bike in reverse so you don't go backwards too fast and the controller then gets the starter signal and feeds a reduced voltage to the starter motor for reversing. All this stuff is interconnected and messing with it will only cause grief down the road.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #30 of 34 Old Oct 21st, 2014, 9:52 am

Garage

OK so resistor needs to feed the 4th wire, then it slows down reverse
I get it

No I do not want old relay in loop at all, that was the problem, for previous owner and me.
post #31 of 34 Old Oct 21st, 2014, 5:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
OK so resistor needs to feed the 4th wire, then it slows down reverse
I get it

No I do not want old relay in loop at all, that was the problem, for previous owner and me.
You don't understand there is NO resistor. What you are measuring is the transistor in the reverser controller that is presenting a resistance. This transistor provides the ground for the original starter relay.

The controller is what should drive the starter motor for reversing. It has three 10 mm wires that are black and the terminal color is what determines where it goes. The red terminal goes to the battery plus, the black one goes to the starter junction (to feed the starter motor), and the last one is a brown terminal that goes to the ground junction.

If you want to bypass the original starter relay that is OK just use a regular relay with the wires that were stock in place of it but use its output to trigger the Ford relay. That way you will have proper reversing. You have a $1500 box on that bike to manage the reverse speed and you are bypassing it for the sake of $200 relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #32 of 34 Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 1:20 pm

Red face Re: K1200LT 2000, Starter motor won't shut off?

Please pay attention to jzeiler, my bike has been in Mexico for five years before I purchased it, went like a bat outaa hell the first time i tried reverse, bypass wiring had been done which led to reverser meltdown, battery drain and then starter hang up . Seven months later, two wiring harnesses and a used reverser, newer starter relay I am back and running.
Jeez what a mess, I will never try to bypass anything again (no i did not the first time) as it truly will break your heart when it smokes a bunch.
post #33 of 34 Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 1:30 pm

Garage

OK guys will use your advice.

Looks like the Old relay Pos that I did not use but taped up, I will send to new relay, then I will connect the 4th wire as it was before, through the resistor.

How come nobody has a schematic of this wiring?
Is there a book I can buy at dealer, or a cdrom?

2000 K1200LT & 86 K75 for fun again

Prev rides
1992 BMW K75
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400
1985 Goldwing
1977 Yamaha RD400
1982 Honda MB5
1979 Yamaha XS 650

if it ain't fun, don't own it
post #34 of 34 Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 7:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is a diagram in the Clymer manual and BMW has a CD with all bikes on it. The one I have covers 1993 to 2006. SLP2, 06737703031 is the PN. But it is not that easy to use to track down issues with as it groups circuits and they are not all complete. Hard to follow circuits that interrelate. Wish there was just one big sheet!

I wasn't trying to bust your chops man, just trying to save you from a fate others have already had.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in