Alterations To Driver's Seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 1:00 am Thread Starter

Cool Alterations To Driver's Seat

I read an article in the blogs or a thread regarding the alteration of the driver's seat which was referred to as "the log" I am finding after 46 years of riding that I have found the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden thus far. I find that the K1200LT seat is the down fall of all good things related to the model. I have ridden "professionally" ?? as a law enforcement officer for more years than I wish to admit. I have spent countless comfortable hours in the saddle of Harley Davidson's ( my least favorite M/C of all time) as well as Kawasaki s, Honda's and Suzuki's. I must admit that I find the high centre of the driver seat to be the most uncomfortable that I have experienced. The "log type" seat creates pressure on the bottom of the spine and causes numbness in the buttock and thighs in a very short period of time. I read a blog that described how to remove and alter the padding in the K1200Lt but I cannot locate it for the life of me. Short of buying a custom seat or having one made ....can anyone assist me in my quest to locate this thread regarding alterations to the seat? Eternally grateful for any help. From an old time copper with a million miles in the saddle!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 5:45 am

Re: Alterations To Driver's Seat

Years ago I modified my seat by drilling out the rivets holding the vinyl covering on and pulled the vinyl back toward the rear of the seat. I then repeatedly pinched and pulled off chunks of foam until I had seat contour I was comfortable with. This changed the seat from a "log" to a "bucket", although it did reduce the amount of foam. I also use either a BeadRider or AirHawk seat cushion at times just to change the seat over long rides.

I just didn't want to spend hundreds on a custom seat and then find out I didn't like it.

This modification would be more complicated if you have a heated seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveheartRandy
I read an article in the blogs or a thread regarding the alteration of the driver's seat which was referred to as "the log" I am finding after 46 years of riding that I have found the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden thus far. I find that the K1200LT seat is the down fall of all good things related to the model. I have ridden "professionally" ?? as a law enforcement officer for more years than I wish to admit. I have spent countless comfortable hours in the saddle of Harley Davidson's ( my least favorite M/C of all time) as well as Kawasaki s, Honda's and Suzuki's. I must admit that I find the high centre of the driver seat to be the most uncomfortable that I have experienced. The "log type" seat creates pressure on the bottom of the spine and causes numbness in the buttock and thighs in a very short period of time. I read a blog that described how to remove and alter the padding in the K1200Lt but I cannot locate it for the life of me. Short of buying a custom seat or having one made ....can anyone assist me in my quest to locate this thread regarding alterations to the seat? Eternally grateful for any help. From an old time copper with a million miles in the saddle!!
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am

I bought an 09 LT and after about a month of driving I was ready to sell the bike because the seat was that bad some people swear by it. I could last maybe 15 mins before I had to get off the bike.

The problem wasn't shape of the seat that I could deal with its the piss poor foam they used. After a short amount of time the foam would deform and compress down to the point you were riding on the hardpan my hips and back would hurt so damn bad I could barely walk.

One of the reason that Harley seats are so comfortable is that the foam doesn't compress all that much you want a seat that fits your rear you don't want a seat that deforms after heating up.

Do yourself a favor and have someone make you a custom saddle I did and I couldn't be happier the saddle made all the difference. I could have done what you wanted to do but I don't have any knowledge of the kind of foam to use.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveheartRandy

This might be the link you're referring to.
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

Don
2009 R1200RT
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetdon
This might be the link you're referring to.
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php
That's a pretty good guide. The two most important tools listed there are the electric carving knife and the 3M Foamfast 74 glue. From my experience doing wheelchair seating, those are the two most important things to have on hand. Don't scrimp on the glue, but for the carving knife, sometimes cheaper is better for getting the blades to flex to contours you might need. I am seriously thinking about modifying my seat over the winter because I'd like to do an Ironbutt 1600K next year. The stock shape of the seat is way too convex and does not distribute pressure evenly enough. If I go ahead and do it, maybe I'll try to take some pics and post them here.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 5:47 pm

Re: Alterations To Driver's Seat _YES PLEASE!

Yes, please cut yours up in the name of science. I am in need of a budget upgrade as well. I already have the Electric knife that I used to make a cheap change to my R1100RS a few years back. I used SunMate brand Memory foam from http://www.sunmatecushions.com/dsi/
I put a thin Pudgee GEL pad on top. I did not want to have to replace the vinyl cover, so It was not as thick and comfy as I would have preferred but I never bottomed out either. Sorry I did not take another pictures of the "ghetto mod" before I sold the bike.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGrant
Yes, please cut yours up in the name of science. I am in need of a budget upgrade as well. I already have the Electric knife that I used to make a cheap change to my R1100RS a few years back. I used SunMate brand Memory foam from http://www.sunmatecushions.com/dsi/
I put a thin Pudgee GEL pad on top. I did not want to have to replace the vinyl cover, so It was not as thick and comfy as I would have preferred but I never bottomed out either. Sorry I did not take another pictures of the "ghetto mod" before I sold the bike.
I was thinking about Pudgee for the ischial areas as well. I have some REALLY old scraps of Pudgee sitting around my shop, and my only concern is that over time they've begun to tear and crumble sort of like feta cheese. I'm wondering how it will hold up over time in extreme temperatures. I have a piece of Pudgee and a square of medium SunMate memory foam sitting on a cold window sill right now as an experiment.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 9:43 am

I had a well known company redo the seat on my 05 by putting a firm layer of foam on top of the original soft foam, it did not work, it still felt like I was sitting on a log, and they tried to fix it twice, I finally sent it to Russell, what a difference! It's worth the money!

05 Dark Graphite LT
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
I was thinking about Pudgee for the ischial areas as well. I have some REALLY old scraps of Pudgee sitting around my shop, and my only concern is that over time they've begun to tear and crumble sort of like feta cheese. I'm wondering how it will hold up over time in extreme temperatures. I have a piece of Pudgee and a square of medium SunMate memory foam sitting on a cold window sill right now as an experiment.
Visco has a "half life" depending on exposure to heat, light, indentation force, etc.

Unless you are using 3M brand Confor visco foam (made in the USA by EAR Specialty Composites) you are throwing your money down the drain - just about all other visco comes from - you guessed it - CHINA! It tends to oxidize and turn into powder rapidly - in as little as two years. I've literally seen it "draining" out of the bottom of Brand X seats in that amount of time.

3M visco ain't cheap, but it can last up to ten years and has superior cushioning, damping and flow properties compared to any other foam. It also comes in a multitude of densities and thicknesses to build specific, engineered composites.

Confor foam

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 1:15 pm

I've never done the LT seat, but did my FZ1. Took the vinyl cover off (was held on with staples, not rivets), then used a black marker to identify what and where I wanted to cut. Also took side view photos as I went along for reference. I used a fine 3" sanding disk on a die-grinder. Take it easy, material comes off fast. I got a very nice pocket carved into the seat, stapled the cover back on, and had what I thought was a real nice seat.
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Unless you are using 3M brand Confor visco foam (made in the USA by EAR Specialty Composites) you are throwing your money down the drain - just about all other visco comes from - you guessed it - CHINA!
That may be true, but as far as I can tell from SunMate's website, they do all of their manufacturing in Leicester, NC. *shrug*
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks much to all who responded. The link sent by two members IS the one that I had seen previously. From all the responses I can see that this is a real issue and NOT just my fat ass. I have seen the RUSSELL seat on another KLT and I believe that the design addressed the lack of support on the outer portion of the seat and also provided a definite pocket in the center of the saddle. The unfortunate detail is the$$$EXPENSE!! Owe well, I like the bike so may have to pay for the comfort. Thanks again to all.
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 4th, 2011, 10:33 pm

I have the Russell and believe it to have been WELL worth the cost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in