2002 K1200LT Integral ABS Bleeding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2011, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

2002 K1200LT Integral ABS Bleeding

I have a K1200LT and have a similar problem. I blew the rear brake hose that is behind the kick plate on the right side by the rear pedal. I have the integral ABS, servo assist, etc.

I installed the new line and I have pumped and pumped the rear brake. I can't find any instructions on bleeding the ABS module. It looks as if there is some type of intervenous fill spot under the front seat off to the left. that runs down into some other brake lines that trickle to the front and the back. There are also 2 bleeder valves on the other side of this. When I hit the brakes you can still hear the pumps trying to do their job. Hopefully, this means that the pumps have not burned out due to the lack of fluid.

Naturally, I blew the hose on a Saturday night 700 miles from home and rode back with the front brake only.

I filled the one half of the reservoir under the rear seat. The other half was still full.

Could anyone provide some easy to follow and print instructions on how to get the brakes bled and primed so I have the rear again and no air in the system? I cannot get any resistance in the rear brake pedal at all.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2011, 10:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 2002 K1200LT Integral ABS Bleeding

There are two separate circuits for front and rear. Control and wheel. That reservoir under the seat has two chambers. The front one is shared between the rear control and the rear wheel circuits. The rear chamber is for the front wheel circuit only and the handle bar reservoir is for the front control only.

Sounds like you need to bleed the rear control circuit. You should have the factory manual to help you throught it. There is a sequence to bleeding the three ports on the ABS unit that are control ports. You never can just use front brake only on the 2001 and up LT. You pumped the rear reservoir dry by using the front brake as they are linked and it was puhing fluid at the rear wheel as well.

First thing you need to do is push fluid from the rear caliper up to the reservoir with a syringe. Once you have done that you can bleed the control circuit with the key OFF. No pumps here.

Port #1 is the short nipple on the inboard side (at the base of the round black thing). Port # 2 is the short nipple in the side of the unit on the outboard side (look between the pipes for a recess). Port #3 is the tall nipple on the inboard side. Order is 1,2,3 and then 1 again until all air is out from pushing the pedal with the key off. It helps to have a 7mm wrench that has been bent 90 degrees.

Then (make sure to keep the reservoir full) turn on the key and pump some fluid out of the calipers (have the pistons pushed all the way back). This should eliminate any residual air frum the push fill you did earlier.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks,

I appreciate the info. A buddy of mine went to a dealer and had them print off the procedures. It was 25 pages long. I have yet to look it over. I prefer the readers digest condensed versions. I'll bet step one is to place the bike on the center stand.

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is not that hard but I highly recommend the tubing and bag that "SpeedBleeder.com" sells for $6.00. Link

Hold the bag elevated and this becomes a one man job. Just take your time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm

hi there, bit of a long shot as this is an old post but did you sort this issue in the end? I have exact same problem, brake hose burst soi ve replaced it and now have absolutely no pressure on rear pedal. I back bled from rear caliper and that went through no problem filling up reservoir with no air bubbles so im fairly happy the wheelcircuit is ok. Trying to bleed the control circuit is being difficult, ive spent hours trying to bleed from the 3 bleed nipples and not even getting air come out let alone fluid. At a loss now and getting more and more frustrated. Any help would be appreciated
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 3:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You may have to loosen the hose at the hard line end for the control circuit, then pump until fluid is present then tighten again. The rear control is one of the hardest to bleed. I tried pushing fluid from the ABS to the master cylinder but that did not work as well as it did on the fronts. Might be worth looking at the routing of the feed hose to the MC behind the foot plate, it could be pinched and not letting fluid get to the MC. Which hose blew and did you replace all the lines?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in