EHCS Gasket repair method? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 5:29 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
EHCS Gasket repair method?

Anyone got one.....? a way to repair or create a new version of that nasty little formed gasket in the main body of the EHCS?
Had to try refilling mine (again) as it wouldn't go up when the temps got over about 22 C... hydraulic fluid didn't seem thick enough to work, so I used 20W-50 motor oil, and it seemed to work fine... until I noticed it started leaking from around the skid plate. Been using the EHCS all week and just putting a rag under it, its been working fine but I knew there was a leak somewhere.
Finally got to remove it again today, and there was the tiniest little bit of gasket poking out of the edge of the unit. Must have over-filled it.... sigh...
Pulled it all apart and the gasket is complete but has a slightly damaged edge that I guess isn't sealing properly.
I tried putting a little silicone sealant under the gasket where it had popped out to help seal it, but during the initial test after refill I noticed some oil leaking again.

Any ideas what to use to get a proper seal? Is there a gasket goo or liquid rubber sealant anyone can recommend for this purpose?

my wonderful bike lift....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 6:47 am

Re: EHCS Gasket repair method?

20/50 oil blew your seal out. I haven't had one of these apart so I don't know what their using for a relief.

It blew the weakest point. In hydraulics a few things can happen with over pressure, it stalls the motor, blows a seal, splits the housing.

You need a new seal, silicone will never seal it. Even if you were able to seal that area, you will have another failure point using motor oil. Dead head a fixed displacement pump and it will fracture.

Find the original cause of no operation (I would guess you're bleeding flow past a sealing surface, the motor oils flow was restricted through the leak to build enough pressure to operate the stand until another seal failed), repair it, use hydraulic oil.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 9:10 am

Most sealings of the LT are silicone sealings, means fluid sealings from "Threebond". Since I am working for that company as a Sales Eng., I highly recommend you a product what is called TB 1227C. Great working product!!

Throw away the old one and replace it with the product as mentioned. You can get it in catridges.

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 9:28 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is what I did. Cleaned it up and smeared a bit of grey silicon seal on the area and let it cure a few days before I refilled it. Has lasted four years so far.

That happens when you put too much oil in. Only put 125 -150 ml. I use hydraulic jack oil commonly available at all out auto parts store ere on this end of the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oring ooze.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	33386   Click image for larger version

Name:	repair.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	33387  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 9 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Thanks all.
John, it looks like yours blew in exactly same spot as mine did.
I put it back together with a little Selleys roof & window silicone sealant while waiting for seasoned comments , but only put the sealant into the groove under the gasket along that long edge. When I "bench tested" it (minutes later) it seemed to still leak a little fluid but hadn't popped the gasket again, so I put some more silicone along the outside edge and let that cure overnight.
I've used the stand twice now since then, and it doesn't appear to be leaking (yet)... will keep fingers crossed and see if it stays dry outside (and keeps working in higher temps).
I've still got the 20W/50 in it, as the jack oil just wouldn't work when it got hot.
At worst I'll have to rip it off again in a couple of weekends time and try something else.

Rudy, thanks for the product info, I'll see if its available in Oz.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2rt
20/50 oil blew your seal out. I haven't had one of these apart so I don't know what their using for a relief.

It blew the weakest point. In hydraulics a few things can happen with over pressure, it stalls the motor, blows a seal, splits the housing.

You need a new seal, silicone will never seal it. Even if you were able to seal that area, you will have another failure point using motor oil. Dead head a fixed displacement pump and it will fracture.

Find the original cause of no operation (I would guess you're bleeding flow past a sealing surface, the motor oils flow was restricted through the leak to build enough pressure to operate the stand until another seal failed), repair it, use hydraulic oil.
This is not the pressure side of the system. This seal only blows out if you over fill the unit as the "relief" dumps into this area. If it is full then it blows the seal (best case) or cracks the housing (worst case). I had over filled mine before we were able to get the original designer to cough up the fill parameters of 125-150 ml. Mine has been sealed like this for five years. I concur with using hydraulic oil vs motor oil.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
This is not the pressure side of the system. This seal only blows out if you over fill the unit as the "relief" dumps into this area. If it is full then it blows the seal (best case) or cracks the housing (worst case). I had over filled mine before we were able to get the original designer to cough up the fill parameters of 125-150 ml. Mine has been sealed like this for five years. I concur with using hydraulic oil vs motor oil.
It's not but it can become pressurized. Especially if you stall the cylinder, overfilled, and thermal expansion (fluid over relief gets hot) The original issue was loss of operation.Based on that I would say he's loosing flow due to a worn or damaged seal. The 20/50 is heavy enough to restrict the flow past this leak and build enough pressure to operate the stand.

You need to find the original reason why the stand doesn't operate. 20/50 is a band aid that will lead to future problems.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 6:48 am

Yet another reason to love my 00! I am glad not to have these frustrating issues....yet

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 4:42 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Well, so far its fingers crossed and 3 days in no further sign of leaks, and with about 130ml of 20W-50 in it, its still working OK.
I definitely overfilled it when rebuilt 2 weekends ago, causing the blow-out. My bad.
Have rebuilt it several times now, without ever finding out why the Marzocchi pump couldn't be re-tightened as expected after the first pull-apart without adding an additional paper gasket ( it locked the gears up without it). All the seals appeared to be fine, my initial problem was the motor was stuffed.
Waiting for the temps to get back into the mid 20's to see if the heavier oil does its job, where the hydraulic fluid couldn't.....

And despite the issues, I love having the EHCS, and so does my back that's already had 1 operation years ago...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in