RT or LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

RT or LT

I have 1999 LT with 23k miles. Wandering to trade to 2005 RT. Is my desision right.
Thanks for support.
Hi, Guys ,reply . I need to make quake derision .
Thanks.

Last edited by Rimas1957; Oct 28th, 2011 at 10:41 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 2:02 am

Re: RT or LT

I have done this the other way around, my RT was an 09 model, I have also owned a couple of gsa bikes and the reason I have changed is Vibes thro the bars, dont get me wrong the boxer twins are superb bikes and the RT has almost everything that is good about the LT, however for me the LT wins it for its sheer road presence and smoothness.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 5:48 am

In my opinion is the LT the smoother running Bike. There are R riders here in Europe they would never change over to a K or even a LT. Both are running under a different concept and you have to set your mind to R or K.
R is more rough two cylinder boxer and a K bike with four cylinders is like I said before smooth and easy.
I would always prefer an LT.
Bought just my second one in California for a Trip here in the states next Year.

Manfred

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 7:38 am

That quake derision is yourses and yourses alone.
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2rt
That quake derision is yourses and yourses alone.
No quarter... I love this sight.

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 7:55 am

Seriously though, about 4 months ago I converted from an '04 RT to an '00 LT and I'm not sure I would ever want to go back. I initially missed the linked power brakes but have adjusted. Other comments about the vibration from the RT's boxer are very true; as you now, the LT is silky smooth. I was also concerned about the difference in weight, but to me, the LT only feels heavy when I'm pushing it around the garage.

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 11:26 am

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I sold my CBR 1000 about 6 months ago and bought an '03 LT. I was planning to do some 2 up touring, but we just found out the wife is preggers so that won't be happening for a while so I'm thinking I want something a little sportier but still comfortable for the 30 minute (highway) commute to work.
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 2:59 pm

I have both an '05 RT and an '03 LT. As others have said they are very different bikes. The extra 260 pounds that the LT carries makes it much harder to handle in the garage or parking lot. On the road those pounds help smooth out the ride. The LT's steering is not nearly as quick or responsive as the RT's, but it is absolutelyconsistant and predictable and I feel the LT is actually steadier in corners than the RT. For one up riding on up to three day trips I prefer the RT. For two up riding of any length or trips of more than 3 or 4 days I prefer the LT.

Dave Granzin
Penn Yan, NY

'03 K1200LT
'05 R1200RT
'00 K1200LT (Killed by Bambi attack)
'04 R1150GS (traded for RT)
'87 K100RS (sold)
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 3:33 pm

I went from the RT to the LT and I find that I do not put nearly as many miles on the LT as I did on the RT. I had both for a while and rode the LT for long distances, but that doesn't happen much any more. I find the LT is just too big for the kind of riding I do now. Mt .02.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 6:53 pm

To help the LT around town I replaced the tour trunk with something homemade that weighs about 30 lbs less with a lower center of gravity and it made a big difference especially at the slower wobble speeds and it jumps up on the center stand pronto. Its not the purtiest thing on the road but on my budget I don't chase after purty as hard as I chase after function.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0909.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	33400  
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 1:56 am

Lt All The Way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 10:15 am

I currently ride a 99 LT and a 08 F650GS and had thought about trading both for a 2012 RT but one ride was enough to convince me to keep what I have and keep saving for the K1600GTL. In a word the RT was loud both engine noise and wind noise. I had just come off of a 3600 mile rode trip trip on the LT and thought a new lighter bike would be the way to go. The RT is not as comfortable 2up or even 1up and the vibes and boxer rattle soon made up my mind. Stick will the LT you won't regret it or save up like me and get the GTL.
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 10:44 am

As said many times before, the LT and the RT are very different bikes. I put many miles on an 05 LT. Mostly highway and longer rides. As time went by I did get better at handling the LT at low speeds. I switched to 2010 RT. Lighter and more nimble. It has good power and handles, for me, much better than the LT. I would take the LT to either coast without thinking twice. I find I can take the RT anywhere. At any time. At idle and under hard acceleration, the RT does "pulse". At highway speed and if the correct gear is selected, mine is very smooth. I have never noticed any unusually loud noises from the bike or the wind. I wear a R1100 helmet and always wear earplugs. I did change the windshield to a Cee Bailey sport for summer riding. The wind protection is a little too good on the RT and does not allow enough breeze to the rider on hot days. Would I go back to an LT? No.
post #14 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks ,Peter. Just wandering is RT higher then LT, I have 30'' inseam.
post #15 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:11 pm

I have a 30 inch inseam. I could comfortably get the ball of one foot to the ground on the LT with the "soft touch/comfort seat" seat. I could touch both feet to the ground with a little effort and got used to sliding a little to one side to get a foot planted better. With the RT and the standard seat in the low position, I can reach a little better than I could on the LT. The main difference it that the RT is much lighter.
post #16 of 22 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

I sold my LT and bout RT. Now i like on the wings. Wait is different , more power, and no stress . More i ride more i like this bike. I found what i need.
Anywhere big respect to LT.
post #17 of 22 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Congratulations. I think.

I only regret that my LT commute to work is only 15 minutes. An hour would be better. I have a constant grin on my mug the last 2 hours of my 12 hour shifts knowing that I get to ride the big fat LT home and my co-workers have to drive their stupid cages home.

Losers!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Nov 21st, 2011 at 1:40 am.
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 5:12 am

The R1200RT has two available front seat segments. Many came with the taller one. The lower one is about an inch shorter. It's pretty close in height to a stock K1200LT seat height. So if the bike you're looking at has the tall RT seat, it can be made lower.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 9:32 pm

Go for it good rt lighter almost as good as lt
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 6:37 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgg155
I have both an '05 RT and an '03 LT. As others have said they are very different bikes. The extra 260 pounds that the LT carries makes it much harder to handle in the garage or parking lot. On the road those pounds help smooth out the ride. The LT's steering is not nearly as quick or responsive as the RT's, but it is absolutelyconsistant and predictable and I feel the LT is actually steadier in corners than the RT. For one up riding on up to three day trips I prefer the RT. For two up riding of any length or trips of more than 3 or 4 days I prefer the LT.

+1 I went from an RT to an LT. I ride mostly two up.

Marvin
2003 K1200 LTC
1967 Honda SS125
1964 Honda 90
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
post #21 of 22 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
As said many times before, the LT and the RT are very different bikes.
+1 for TWheels! I have an '03 LT and just bought a '99 R1100RT (only 19,000 miles!) and I love both of them. The RT has an aftermarket Sargent seat, so it is very comfortable on a road trip, but for me it's best as my jaunt around town. The LT is incredibly comfortable and smooth for the long road trips.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #22 of 22 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

I have a 1998 R1100 RT and a 2005 K 1200 LT. I have ridden almost 100,000 miles on the RT since 2004 and nearly 20,000 on the LT since 2008. Bought the LT for passenger comfort. We call it the Queen Bitch bike. If you do a lot of stop and go traveling in hot weather, the RT isn't the bike you want. The RT needs air movement or the headers will heat up and glow. The LT is liquid cooled so it can sit and idle in a traffic jam in the hot summer. I am 6' 3" and 210# so the height of the seat is not a problem. I had a custom seat made for the RT by Rick Mayer and I shimmed the front of the seat so that the seat wouldn't angle towards the tank as much. We have ceramic beads on the LT for comfort (Bead Rider) http://www.beadrider.com/. The LT is heavy at very low speeds and when trying to do a quick u-turn. I like the RT for at home maintenance. The LT has more integrated or electrical complications. The LT's air filter requires you to remove the gas tank to access. Earlier comments about the K bike's smoothness versus the RT are accurate. Cruise control comes in handy on the LT. I rode the LT 960 miles one day in 16 hours and only stopped because I was home. The LT has less ground clearance than the RT. So you can't go curb hopping on the LT. The LT is a heavy pig when you have to pick it up by yourself. The LT's side stand needs level ground and the bike in a gear to prevent rolling back off the side stand. If you ride much off pavement, stay with the RT. If you only ride pavement and long trips with a passenger, pick the LT.

Dean
North Central Iowa
1998 R1100 RT - 103,000 miles
2005 K 1200LT - 58,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in