Dragon Sleigher - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Dragon Sleigher

Chasing young horns at The Gap. The LT's capabilities 2 up are considerable. Overall poundage is almost twice the weight of any bike we are following in this vid. The ditch cleaner kept our speeds moderate until we got in front of them and onto a cleaner surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQ27mhdmiw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Dragon Sleigher

very cool, thanks for sharing!

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:43 pm

VERY nice riding, man. Can't quite keep up to the serious sport bikes but can blow away any pure touring bike on the market. I've riden that beatiful road many times and love it. This year did it with my wife on her own Ninja 250 and she loved it too. Great video. Thanks.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #5 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I assume this is you, only 2 up LT on the 3rd I could see...

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...eid=255&page=6

http://www.129pix.net/jps/store.jsp?...eid=255&page=7

-Preston
02 K1200 LTC | 94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #6 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Been there and it was great fun. Nice riding!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #7 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=palarimer]I assume this is you, only 2 up LT on the 3rd I could see...
Yes. We caught slow traffic in front of Killboy so I took the time to stretch my 59 yr ole legs. The following day I turned 60--didn't notice a big difference next time you get up that way chk out The Apple Cover Inn in Maggie Valley. We get a rm for $25-30 night. Small but clean and close to food. 60 miles to The gap and 2 miles from BlueRidge Pkwy. Anyone interested contact me before you go. I can usually get away.
post #8 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Nicely done! It's good to see the old girl go through her paces. Was that a door stop in the shape of a Harley that you passed @ 11:06?

2 up no less!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 3:55 pm

Not wanting to be a kill joy .... but .... is it legal there to pass on a double yellow? Seems a tad hypocritical to wear ATGATT and then take the risks you did .... but who am I to judge

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
post #10 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Very impressive! Wife and I were up there just the week before. I keep dragging my center stand. Don't know if there's a way to get the bike to sit taller or not. But yes....the LT does well for a big girl!

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #11 of 36 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Not wanting to be a kill joy .... but .... is it legal there to pass on a double yellow? Seems a tad hypocritical to wear ATGATT and then take the risks you did .... but who am I to judge
I am a firm believer that rules and laws are for those not smart enough to make decisions on their own. It looks to me that he was riding within his limits.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #12 of 36 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I am a firm believer that rules and laws are for those not smart enough to make decisions on their own. It looks to me that he was riding within his limits.
Over the years I guess I've been thru the Dragon 20+ times on my way North. I remember crossing that double solid 3 or 4 times to get around slower traffic that either wasn't watching their mirrors or didn't care and felt that everyone should be satisfied going 25mph.I could wait for them I guess but then I'd be riding home in snow. I won't do it unless I have clear line of sight. So far, by Gods Mercy, perceived abilities have not exceeded actual abilities. That could change anytime thus the armor for the unknown generated by myself or someone else. If that makes me a hypocrite, I plead guilty. Next time any of you are doing 5 over posted with your seat belt on--welcome to the club.
post #13 of 36 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Pleassseee.......

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #14 of 36 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Wink Re: Dragon Sleigher

I'm right there with ya Brian! If it ain't fun then why we doin it? Ride within your own known limits and do it with ATGATT because you cannot control everything around you when on two wheels.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #15 of 36 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Maybe I should clarify my position .... not being judgmental, just think there are responsibilities to a site like this ... being famous of ATGATT, seems the group should promote safe riding ... not doubting anyones abilities and did not call anyone hypocritical ... was speaking more to site responsibility than anything else ... sorry if I offended ... I for one don't ride with ATGATT ... it's a personal choice ... Ralph Nader not withstanding ...

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
post #16 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 1:02 am

I ride the speed limit. Always! Not 5 over but the actual speed limit. However, I do like to get to the limit quickly! I once asked the local LEO if there were any laws pertaining to how fast one accelerates to match traffic flow when entering the freeway. No law to regulate how fast you get up to speed as long as you don't exceed the speed limit.

The double yellow line thing? Hmmmmmmmm. I have been known to pass a big butt Winnebago in the twisties when they are going 10 - 15 mph. Illegal? Oh yeah. Would I whine if I got a ticket? Nope! There are often times when it is safe to pass against a double yellow with the LT when it would not be safe to pass with a car. Is it right to do it? No, but what the heck.

I just thought of a couple times when I have exceeded the speed limit for a few moments. Passing a truck going uphill I have been known to start the pass in 2nd gear and top 100 mph by the time I got to the cab of the truck. Fun City! I do slow right back down to the speed limit!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #17 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 1:57 am

Sweet and 2 up--pretty impressive!

2003 K1200 LTE
2004 Yamaha WR250F
1997 Suzuki RMX 250
1996 Yamaha WR250
1983 Yamaha IT 175
1976 Kawasaki KD 175
2000 BMW 528I M Sport
1997 BMW 540I
2001 BMW 330I
Liv'in The Dream
post #18 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 2:07 am

Did you improve the suspension??? I was just missing the typical sound of the center stand in the video We have many roads like the Gap in the Alps. To be honest, I also like to ride in a way like you did - but when I have a look at the video, I wouldn`t do it there because it is just to busy. You never know about the riding skills of your frontrunner............

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #19 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 4:09 am

I am so unworthy.....

What was the exhaust on the girl..... sounded really quite "raspy" very pleasant.

You made the bike look very flickable.

Loved It.

Stuart

........~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
(Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. Mandarin and Titan Silver
R100RS 1980... The Project...Now sold.
G650 XChallenge.
post #20 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 9:43 am

Very and thanx for the post..........enjoyed it and am looking forward to getting to ride it myself..............very soooueeet...............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #21 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcanara
I am so unworthy.....

What was the exhaust on the girl..... sounded really quite "raspy" very pleasant.

You made the bike look very flickable.

Loved It.

Stuart
03 with stock exhaust. The $79 Nikon Coolpix is handlebar mounted behind the windscreen. I think the mic is picking up intake growl from the front. Those guys we see leaning out over the tank? They're just going to the spurs and listening to the horses winny. Flickable like a 125cc. Its the bike that makes us look good.And at 3mph the LT can sneak up and dose out a humbling FL ICK
post #22 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter
Did you improve the suspension??? I was just missing the typical sound of the center stand in the video We have many roads like the Gap in the Alps. To be honest, I also like to ride in a way like you did - but when I have a look at the video, I wouldn`t do it there because it is just to busy. You never know about the riding skills of your frontrunner............
Wilber front and back. Center stand,kick stand, footpegs,boots,shifter and engine shroud are ground down for clearence. You can do it in the shop but its more fun to do it in the road. I told Wilber to set for aged, semi-aggressive, intermediate rider and I think their definition differs from mine.Although the Wilbers suspend better than the stock shots they eventually cave in to the overall weight of 2 up.Stiffer would be better and allow even higher mph in the corners but that just translates -your going faster when you go down-. It really wasn't busy that monday. At least compared to a wkend. And whenever I can follow some young guns thru they give a heads up to oncoming traffic and I stay far enough back so if one bobbles or bites it I can stop safely, God Willing
post #23 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I ride the speed limit. Always! Not 5 over but the actual speed limit. I just thought of a couple times when I have exceeded the speed limit for a few moments. Passing a truck going uphill I have been known to start the pass in 2nd gear and top 100 mph by the time I got to the cab of the truck. Fun City! I do slow right back down to the speed limit!

Loren
So technically Loren you can honestly say " Not 5 over" cause its more like 45 over
post #24 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Nicely done! It's good to see the old girl go through her paces. Was that a door stop in the shape of a Harley that you passed @ 11:06?

2 up no less!

Loren
No--door stops are faster and more aware of whats going on around them. We talked at the overlook. Smart guy just needs some tutoring in the MC area. Said he knew President Ford well enuf to call hime uncle Jerry. I asked about the Nixon pardon and he said why not, he was never convicted of anything.Why are smart guys always so complicated.
post #25 of 36 Old Oct 28th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Ummmmmmm yeah. But only for a short while. If you average it out over the number if miles I ride in a year...... This ain't gonna fly in court is it?

Nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
So technically Loren you can honestly say " Not 5 over" cause its more like 45 over

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #26 of 36 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 9:47 am

Not bragging here I'm kind of ashamed of myself. But in June when going back up the Dragon there was a Super Moto bike passing everyone and I saw him and I held him off for many turns he could catch me in the turns but I pulled from him on the straights aways this continued until we came upon a Goldwing with trailor crashed. Was plenty of help already at wreck. Rode up a few more turns and advised a trooper of the wreck. He was not to excited about it. I then regained my senses and remembered I'd old enought to know better. I also would not have done this two up or will I do it by myself again. But it did give me a rush of youth.
post #27 of 36 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 12:10 pm

I did the Dragon this past June. I was there at Deal's Gap for almost a week. Had one hell of a good time going up and down the Dragon on my LT. Scraped all the usual stuff including the front of my right boot coming out one of the turns. Coming back down to Deal's Gap, the Gravity Well is one hell of a surprise the first time you encounter it. What rush! Wished it had not of rained so much while I was there. But that just added to the fun! New tent leaked. Was supposed to be seam sealed at factory, but some needle holes didn't get the treatment.

As to my speed running the Dragon, I ran it up to 50-55 in the straights when I could. Took the twisties in 1st and 2nd gears to keep the power on. The old girl did her paces with style and grace! It was the most fun I have had in a long time. Looking forward to going again. Maybe even taking the wife next time. She would love to do it in her Miata.

Great video and loved the sound of the engine as you shifted through the gears. Looking forward to next year!
post #28 of 36 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 3:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

" And whenever I can follow some young guns thru they give a heads up to oncoming traffic and I stay far enough back so if one bobbles or bites it I can stop safely, God Willing"

Now there is the difference between a hot-headed squid that thinks he can ride and someone that has ridden a few laps in the world. You don't crowd each other when you are playing chase...
Super smooth riding and great video. I bookmarked it so I can have some winter entertainment. Just makes me want to get out and ride though
Samir, I will say you have one heck of a riding partner to ride those curves at the no-chicken-strip speeds you had going.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #29 of 36 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Smile Re: Dragon Sleigher

Thank you. I can't ride anymore but at least I could pretend. I could even pretend that I could ride that good.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #30 of 36 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Now there is the difference between a hot-headed squid that thinks he can ride and someone that has ridden a few laps in the world. You don't crowd each other when you are playing chase...
Super smooth riding and great video. I bookmarked it so I can have some winter entertainment. Just makes me want to get out and ride though
Samir, I will say you have one heck of a riding partner to ride those curves at the no-chicken-strip speeds you had going.[/QUOTE]

Doug: We all enjoy appreciation now and then so thanks for the kind words. JC Whitney sells those "STAY PUT" riding companions that velcro in and also will deflate and slide under the bike when it tips over to help it back up when its reinflated with a mini compressor. . Seriously though no one appreciated your post more than my wife because until now I'm the only one that has expressed to her what a good job she does back there. We all know that 2 up is a team effort and from monitoring traffic and road hazards around us to rubbing my shoulders thru that armor she has been more than a passenger. And now that she has learned to pick her inside foot up its not costing us so much to have a new heel installed. Really honey, its nails not gum causing your heel to stick to the motel rm carpet. She wants to go back 60 miles and look for it and I'm thinking-OH YA we'll get those boots to match one way or the other. Thanks again Doug you've got a cool playground almost in your backyard. If you ever want to see what your LT looks like from behind at the Dragon--call

Last edited by Samir; Oct 30th, 2011 at 8:37 pm.
post #31 of 36 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
VERY nice riding, man. Can't quite keep up to the serious sport bikes but can blow away any pure touring bike on the market. I've riden that beatiful road many times and love it. This year did it with my wife on her own Ninja 250 and she loved it too. Great video. Thanks.
Thats a bit of a hike for a 250--hope she trailered it there
post #32 of 36 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz56
Thank you. I can't ride anymore but at least I could pretend. I could even pretend that I could ride that good.
Jeff: You're not alone, we're all just pretending. The truly good ones are making a living at it, the rest of us are just chasing after that " personal best". I often wonder if a SUV in a left turn is on its way to me and I can only pray that my wife is not on the back if and when. If I was to survive I don't know what I would replace it with because its the only thing I have found that delivers exhilaration and is legal. Sometimes I lean way forwards while Pam leans over me operating throttle and clutch and I work shifter and brake. My wife has had 27 years to learn to trust me. If you think you could learn to trust me in a shorter period of time I know you would fit fine behind me. We would have to practice before taking on any Dragons.We've got until the snow melts to think about it. Sooooo--about the front end of that toy your riding now. Does it ever see any air?
post #33 of 36 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 3:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"...no one appreciated your post more than my wife because until now I'm the only one that has expressed to her what a good job she does back there. We all know that 2 up is a team effort..." quote

I ride 2-up 90% of the time and my spouse has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions with a timely weight shift. ...and I have ridden 2-up with one who does NOT know how to ride and it is not nearly as much fun...

And yeah, I likes me backyard...

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #34 of 36 Old Oct 31st, 2011, 11:29 pm

Wah, wah, wah on crossing the double yellow. See more below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pdq555#p/u

Nice ride and video Gary. "Just Ride"

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #35 of 36 Old Nov 1st, 2011, 12:02 am

PERFECT example of a safe double yellow pass. As quickly as these things accelerate you could easily have passed that pick up x 2.

Finally, watching the video I know without a doubt you were having a good time. All one has to do is watch the tach bouncing around between 5K to 7K+ to know yu are having a party!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #36 of 36 Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Wah, wah, wah on crossing the double yellow. See more below.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pdq555#p/u

Nice ride and video Gary. "Just Ride"
Fun and safe ride John although the wet makes me tentative, wish I could have been there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in