how do I remove grips for replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Smile how do I remove grips for replacement

now that the beast is under construction might as well replace the crappy stock grips but how do you replace then I don,t mind doing away with the heated element (no use for them in miami)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 9:02 am

Re: how do I remove grips for replacement

I have carefully slit the old rubbers off--not to damage the heating wraps. I would leave them if I was you, you may want to sell the the bike at some point and it is a definite plus.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 9:15 am

Before you cut the OEM off I would suggest you find the ones you want to replace them with first.

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) the bar is a small diameter then most handle bars.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 10:34 am

I just replaced the ones on my 05 LT. I've also replaced the grips on my 01 R1100S. Both have heated grips. Its real easy. Use a razor blade and slice down the rubber grip closest to the switch housing. With your other hand, pull up on the rubber grip as you slice. Try not to cut all the way through the grip if its against the heated grip tube. Just pull away and slice. There may be some glue applied by BMW at the end of the grip and there may be a dab or two close to the switch gear. Just take your time and slice under the grip as you pull. After you get the grip off, clean up any additional grip rubber with the razor blade. I then tape the ends of the heated housing tube with electrical tape. I bought 2 sets of classic EMGO grips from Dime City Cycles. I used the throttle grip from each pack since it has the bigger hole. I slide the grips on with hair spray. It dries and holds like glue. the grips are thick in the middle and make for a comfortable ride and the heat still comes through. Here is a link to the grips if you want to take a look.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-42-28700.html

Bo.
Kennedale, TX.

1995 MuZ Skorpion
2001 BMW R1100S
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Or, for a few bucks, you could just slide some grip puppies over them. I did that to my F800ST, it feels great and the heat still works through them.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

the problem with my grip are the chrome ends are pealing off and the rubber look crappy
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

I saw these on ebay (see picture) they are size 7/8 is that the size for a 2000 K1200LT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A20_resize.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	33328  
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Yes, but you need 2 throttle side grips. Do a search on replace grips and you will find some good info. One of the posts shows how to install Kuryakin grips and they do look nice.

Bo, I'll bet those grips feel good! The web site describes them as "titty cushion" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman
I saw these on ebay (see picture) they are size 7/8 is that the size for a 2000 K1200LT

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 5:24 pm

This is what they look like coming off, apparently melted under the grip puppies. Left side didn't go to pieces but melted to the point it was sliding off, doesn't like to slide back on when its cool though. Electrical tape comes in handy, it is still taped up and works fine. Puppies came off both sides and now the heat transfers better. First snow's a comin tomorrow.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Garage

Soooo.... You are the one that bought the chrome reservoir covers...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Attached to this message is a TUTORIAL (in PDF format) that I created a while ago for the rubber grips replacement.

Although it was written for the K1200RS, the K1200LT has the same basic parts for the grips. To the best of my knowledge, the main difference would be if you would order new OEM Heated-grips (with the wires) from BMW - the K1200LT has longer wires so the part number has to be different.

The main goal of the Tutorial was to offer cheaper alternatives when your rubber grips are worn, but the heating element is still good.

Hope this Tutorial can be usefull to someone here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200RS-Replace-Handlebar-Grips.pdf (339.3 KB, 2199 views)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in