Wobbling Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Wobbling Problem

Recently took my 2003 BMW K1200LT out for a short trip. Before I left I checked to make sure right air pressure in F R tires. After riding on in city road bike started wobbling on steady speeds or on decelaration. I pulled over at a stop to see if I had in fact had a flat tire as that is kind of what it felt like, but no not this time. I turned around to nurse it back to my house and then at an intersection I lost all electrical. Loosing electrical I think it is probably a fuse somewhere but the wobbling I have no idea what to look for. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what to look for for my problem. Bike is parked in a dry garage with a clean floor and have seen no fluid leaks of any kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Re: Wobbling Problem

You could do a search and find lots of info. I had severe wobbling between 38 and 42 mph especially on deceleration, I found it to be tire wear, new tires solved the problem for me.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 6:04 pm

x2..........Mine just started the tank hammerin' routine.....checked the front and found some cupping to start...........wear bars are close so-o-o-o........will mount a new one this week-end..........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Both Front and Rear tires are new with less than 100 miles on them. Although I did check and did not find any cupping. That was one reason I replaced them as the old ones were definitely cupped
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 8:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Opinions vary. Mine says that one of your new tires (likely the front) has a stretched bead. There is no way that I know of to check for and confirm a stretched bead. There are also numerous mechanical situations which can cause the tank slappers.

post #6 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 10:04 pm
cws

Garage

just do a search on "wobble" and then look at the "similar threads" below also... you'll find the question raised over and over again.... either bad batch of tyres or stretched tyres during mounting, or cupping or something... but its always tyres. Mine eventually went away after 2 new sets a couple of years back, just starting to get it back again on a well worn front (over 20,000km's)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Had a similar problem with my goldwing, turned out it was a bad tire on the front. Brand new, but not round. I put the bike up on the center stand, and weighted the back to get the front tire off the ground, made a gauge out of a 2x4 and a nail for reference, put the nail up against the tire, and rotated the tire, it was easily visible to see the tire was not in a perfectly round rotation. I also had a tire mounted on my old yami, where the bead was not seated properly, and that caused an incredible wobble. Check it out...may require a trip back to the tire seller...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 4:53 pm

new tires 'solve' the wobble..

But in my case the cause was the ball joint at the unilever.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in