manual center stand -- is there a trick? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up manual center stand -- is there a trick?

Fellow Beemers,

I have recently purchased an '02 K1200LT. Previously ridden GoldWings for the past 10 years. Love the Beemer!
But the manual center stand is impossible!!
Is there a trick to it?
Or is there an aftermarket center stand that is easier to use??

Many thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:37 am

Re: manual center stand -- is there a trick?

How to put your 99-04 LT on the center stand...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:23 am

Wink Re: manual center stand -- is there a trick?

John, besides the thread that Ron posted, there are several relative threads shown at the bottom of any page you may be reading. Lastly, if the '02 LT you purchased has high mileage it could very well be the rear shock sagging. This will make it extremely difficult to put on the Center Stand. If it does not already have them, consider a set of aftermarket shocks for any LT with over 65K miles.

HTH,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:41 pm

Before I replaced my shocks I carried a 3/4" thick plywood block. Roll the rear tire up on the block, then put the center stand down.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:49 pm

My 02 K1200LT had about 50,000 miles and I was told by the local shop that the shocks were still good and did not need to be replaced. Leaving my driveway though, there was a noticeable drop as my bike hit the street and I probably did need new shocks. My new K1600GTL does not drop nearly as much for comparison.

My 02 would still rock back pretty easily onto the center stand when I used the proper technique. It is a coordinated movement of pulling up on the side handle or rear side case and stepping on the center-stand thing that sticks out. I only weigh about 150 so if you are any heavier, it should be that much easier.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 1:00 pm

I tried using Ron's method, but it just felt awkward for me. I still face mostly into the bike just a touch to the rear and use my right foot, but I use the handle on the side case as Ron suggests. This made it much easier to use my weight on the stand and balance the bike overall. I only pull on the handle enough to get the bike moving up and use my weight on the stand to finish. If you aren't 6 foot and 225 pounds you might be more comfortable using a different method. Grabbing the grab handle below the seat always felt like it was too low and too far forward. I believe Ron also champions the Hyperpro springs as the best "bang for the buck" for the weak saggy BMW springs. I would have to agree as I did this 13,000 miles ago and I am very happy with the result.

John

2002 K1200LT
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:19 pm

I just got a 2000 K1200LT a couple days ago. I couldn't get it on it's center stand for anything. I was trying to do it, while it was on the side stand, because I was scared of dropping it. Took it off the side stand, and did it like the manual says.

I have so much reading to do.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:36 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

The easiest way for me to put the LT on the center stand with good shocks or bad, was to grab the left handle bar with left hand to stable the bike. Right hand on the grab bar under the seat and push down on the center stand with my body weight and pull up a little with the right hand.

The trick is to push down on the center stand using as much power that you need from your right leg. Don't struggle with it. It will go on the center stand without a lot of effort.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm

Had a flat tire along the freeway at night a few weeks ago, bike was too low to put the side stand down and I couldn't even remotely get close to lifting it up on the center stand. With a flat tire you are SOOO far away from that rollover pivot. Almost got to the point of just laying it down because all I could do was either sit on it or stand there and balance it. Finally I started it and nursed it off the hard shoulder onto the wrong way down sloping berm, but it was soft so I kicked out a hole with my boot deep enough to put the side stand down. At home I also do the board thing, put a 5/4 piece of decking behind the tire and reverse up on it, not too high to still put the side stand down.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had a flat on the Alaska Highway between Tok and Delta Junction back in 2004. Failing to find anything to put under the back wheel, I only got the bike up on the center stand by using my using my little 12 v air pump to inflate the tire and raise the bike.

Motor On ,/'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in