FixItBeforeItBreaks install experience - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 9:03 am Thread Starter

FixItBeforeItBreaks install experience

I purchased the Fix It Before It Breaks trunk handle kit after talking with a gent who had a his handle break. He had always thought, as I did, that heavy handed users with poorly fitting, high resistance trunk latches were the ones that had broken trunk handles.
"Not so." he said. He had always been careful to close the trunk gently without undue stress. His broke anyway.

So.... I order the kit. Impressive amount of engineering design and fabrication for the price.
And I am happy that I now have it installed.

Posted here is my installation experience so others who might run into the same problem might learn from it.

First I would say that I decided to remove the trunk, rather than try to install the kit with the trunk on the bike. Good choice, I wouldn't recommend trying to do the install on the bike unless you've done it before, the bike is on a lift, and you have good lighting. My install didn't prove to be all that easy. Everything was straight forward up until the paragraph 10) "Mounting this Left Inner Anchor Link is a little bit tricky, but not too bad."

I could not accomplish the step described in paragraph 11). The pin the instructions say to push to the left side as far as it will go, wouldn't move left at all on my bike. I could flex the components a bit with leverage, but I was at risk for breaking the very parts I was supposed to be fixing before it breaks.

I lubricated, inspected, for some time. I applied as much force as I dared, and no success. I wiggled, jiggled, and worked the latch as described in the instructions. After a careful evaluation of the latch mechanism and the component that was supposed to be pushed left, I concluded it wasn't going to happen on my bike. At least not without drilling out rivets that mount the latch mechanism to the truck body. Maybe I was just missing something but I gave up risking breaking something and went my own way.

Here's what I did: The modification will clearly weaken the mechanism a little, but I decided that with both the inner and outer anchor links in place, my modification wasn't going to be that much of a degradation.

So a cut a slot to the hole for the pin in the left inner anchor link so I could just slide it up onto the pin. This eliminated the need to push the pin to the left, which just wasn't happening on my bike.

Attached are pics of the pin on my bike, a copy instruction photo showing what pin movement is supposed to happen, and the modification I made to the left inner anchor link.

This was my only problem during installation, and the instructions were complete and clear and worked for all other aspects of the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix it before it breaks 001.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	33286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix it before it breaks 004.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	33287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fix it before it breaks 002.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	33288  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 3:18 am

Re: FixItBeforeItBreaks install experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
............ I could not accomplish the step described in paragraph 11). The pin the instructions say to push to the left side as far as it will go, wouldn't move left at all on my bike. I could flex the components a bit with leverage, but I was at risk for breaking the very parts I was supposed tobe fixing before it breaks.
Did ya think to mic the shims to see if the factory had over shimmed it?????

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 6:48 am

I did mine last year, look good except the power lock does not lock properly. locks the buttom but not the flap, you can lift and open the trunk. Leave nothing in the rear for now.

Tried to push the screwdriver in both sides as stated on the install papers, but no go.

I was going to try to take it apart and try again.

Bowdon

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 7:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I installed my kit a few months back with the trunk still on the bike. I created a few new cuss words that day trying to remove the circlips. The rest of the installation went fairly well except when I put in the allen bolts. I guess reading the directions to the end would have helped as I have an area on one side where the bolt head made a mark in the paint. Oh well Dr. ColorChip should take care of that!!

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:29 am
Sit

My install a few months ago went pretty easy as well, once I took the trunk off the bike-just makes it that much easier. My only real issue was with the main support block or what ever it is called that you slip into place that helps support everything. Mine would not fit, but a few passes with a file in a couple of spots and it slipped right in, smooth as silk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:44 am

I installed mine several months ago with no issues except I tried to install it on the bike w/o a lift. That didn't work too well. Took the trunk off and it was so easy....

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 3:05 pm

Back in 2010 during our 4th Annual BMWKLTIBMIIOF- meeting we had made a group purchase of these sets and we acually had a small production line for installing the kits. The bike owner removed the trunk and carried it to one of the two tables we had reserved for the operation. I was the head surgeon and I had an assistant as we installed between 15 and 20 units during less than two hours. After we gained some routine it only took us about 3 minutes to have the set installed staring from the point when the trunk was upside down on the operaton table.

All of the units fit without extra hassle but having extra pair of hands available did help somewhat.

This is really a first class product!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 29th, 2011, 3:39 pm

How about this kit for FREE?

Cut a sheet metal plate the length of the latch and about 1/2 and inch wide.
Drill a small hole in the plate through each corner
Drill matching holes in the latch corners using the plate as a template
Use stainless button head screws and locktite to fasten the plate to the latch.
Add a center hole and fastener if you want to over-engineer it.
Stainless steel screws will bite nicely into the soft zinc latch and hold forever.
Mask off your trunk and spray paint it all black.

Your latch will last and you will spend less than $2

I did this repair after one corner of my latch broke off, I've use the latch for the last 5 years this way and I found all the materials in my scrap parts box. You can do this before or after your latch breaks. It a lot easier if your latch does not break first.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 30th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandmelanie
How about this kit for FREE?

Cut a sheet metal plate the length of the latch and about 1/2 and inch wide.
Drill a small hole in the plate through each corner
Drill matching holes in the latch corners using the plate as a template
Use stainless button head screws and locktite to fasten the plate to the latch.
Add a center hole and fastener if you want to over-engineer it.
Stainless steel screws will bite nicely into the soft zinc latch and hold forever.
Mask off your trunk and spray paint it all black.

Your latch will last and you will spend less than $2

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in