I purchased the Fix It Before It Breaks trunk handle kit after talking with a gent who had a his handle break. He had always thought, as I did, that heavy handed users with poorly fitting, high resistance trunk latches were the ones that had broken trunk handles.
"Not so." he said. He had always been careful to close the trunk gently without undue stress. His broke anyway.
So.... I order the kit. Impressive amount of engineering design and fabrication for the price.
And I am happy that I now have it installed.
Posted here is my installation experience so others who might run into the same problem might learn from it.
First I would say that I decided to remove the trunk, rather than try to install the kit with the trunk on the bike. Good choice, I wouldn't recommend trying to do the install on the bike unless you've done it before, the bike is on a lift, and you have good lighting. My install didn't prove to be all that easy. Everything was straight forward up until the paragraph 10) "Mounting this Left Inner Anchor Link is a little bit tricky, but not too bad."
I could not accomplish the step described in paragraph 11). The pin the instructions say to push to the left side as far as it will go, wouldn't move left at all on my bike. I could flex the components a bit with leverage, but I was at risk for breaking the very parts I was supposed to be fixing before it breaks.
I lubricated, inspected, for some time. I applied as much force as I dared, and no success. I wiggled, jiggled, and worked the latch as described in the instructions. After a careful evaluation of the latch mechanism and the component that was supposed to be pushed left, I concluded it wasn't going to happen on my bike. At least not without drilling out rivets that mount the latch mechanism to the truck body. Maybe I was just missing something but I gave up risking breaking something and went my own way.
Here's what I did: The modification will clearly weaken the mechanism a little, but I decided that with both the inner and outer anchor links in place, my modification wasn't going to be that much of a degradation.
So a cut a slot to the hole for the pin in the left inner anchor link so I could just slide it up onto the pin. This eliminated the need to push the pin to the left, which just wasn't happening on my bike.
Attached are pics of the pin on my bike, a copy instruction photo showing what pin movement is supposed to happen, and the modification I made to the left inner anchor link.
This was my only problem during installation, and the instructions were complete and clear and worked for all other aspects of the install.