A Mind Of Her Own? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

A Mind Of Her Own?

Hello guys. Hope I have reach all of you in good health and enjoying your bikes better than ever. Just wanted to ask a question about something that happened to me on my trip from Tampa to Daytona on Biketoberfest weekend. Just after passing Orlando there was a nasty accident on I 4 and traffic was horrible around 1 and half hour of stop and go traffic, cars overheating on side of the road and people pushing bikes down the Interestate to the nearest exit. At some point after a hour of stop and go trafic the bike`s radio spiked loud and the speedo niddle spiked to 20 mph, all in a fraction of a second with both feet on the ground, The bike was running a bit hotter than usual just pass very little the middle of the bar wich is normal specially under the traffic conditions at 2:00 pm, and the idle got a bit unstable fluctuating about 50 rpm right under 1000. I know everybody had experience gostly behaviors at some point on cars and bikes, but I figure I pop the question just to see the reaction. I know that BMW never had the best electrical systems in the world (at least on cars) I can tell you that being a mechanic for over 25 years. Any comments will be apreciated since there is a world of knoledge and wisdom in this site. Thank you all.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 7:38 am

Re: A Mind Of Her Own?

Well, crawling along for 1 1/2 hours in the heat what you experienced doesn't seem that unusual.

The idle fluctuation maybe because you were pretty much in a hot soak condition and FI doesn't like extended idle periods. The manual even notes to start the bike and ride. This one I would leave alone.

The speedo and audio, maybe just a glitch in the speed sensor or wiring. I would think the audio spiked because it saw a speed increase and compensated for it. Look for the common link between the two rather than two separate problems. If you really want to look for a one time split second glitch I would focus on the speed sensor circuit, actually I would ignore it unless it kept happening.

Good Luck
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 9:18 am

I have had the unstable idle when running hot but never the spike. I'de check for loose battery and other connections that may have loosened from the expansion/contraction that will occur from the heat.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Thank for the reply guys. It makes lots of sence about the audio increasing with the speed. I`ll leave it alone unless it happens again. I will also do a load test to the battery with my Midtronics MDTEXP800 battery tester and analyzer just to be safe. I know that on previous experiences with cars if a battery gets a bad cell the gauges start to act up, specially in newer cars. Thank you.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in