New DICE Duo - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 11:58 am Thread Starter

New DICE Duo

I just installed the new DICE Duo, in place of the CD changer. There was no problem with the install and the unit works great. One of the new features is that you can dictate how long you want the DICE unit to charge your Ipod after you turn the key off. (5 min to 2 hours). The problem that I am having is with the sound. There is a buzzing noise in the background when playing music through the Ipod. The buzzing is only apparent when the bike is moving. There is no buzzing when playing the music with the engine off. Also, there is no buzzing when using the FM or single CD player of the radio. The buzzing is only when accessing the DICE unit. I have been trying to get a response from the tech people at DICE, but am still waiting. Any ideas out there......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: New DICE Duo

Sounds like you are picking up the leakage from the ignition (Spark plug wires) might need to put a choke on the cable from the I-pod. or try one on the power line and see if that suppress it enough

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Sounds like you are picking up the leakage from the ignition (Spark plug wires) might need to put a choke on the cable from the I-pod. or try one on the power line and see if that suppress it enough
Yes, you may also want to experiment with rerouting the Dice cables and/or Dice unit. Also, how and where you tapped power. The noise can be RF from high voltage sources or can originate on the 12 volt line. The more separation the better. Take a good look at the cables and connectors. A damaged connection, especially the shield wire can also contribute to noise.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haawg
I just installed the new DICE Duo, in place of the CD changer. There was no problem with the install and the unit works great. One of the new features is that you can dictate how long you want the DICE unit to charge your Ipod after you turn the key off. (5 min to 2 hours). The problem that I am having is with the sound. There is a buzzing noise in the background when playing music through the Ipod. The buzzing is only apparent when the bike is moving. There is no buzzing when playing the music with the engine off. Also, there is no buzzing when using the FM or single CD player of the radio. The buzzing is only when accessing the DICE unit. I have been trying to get a response from the tech people at DICE, but am still waiting. Any ideas out there......

I just went through the same thing. I have had my Dice installed for a few years now but it started buzzing a few weeks ago. I narrowed it down to either the Dice itself or the cables going to it. I had no buzzing over the radio or the intercom...only the Ipod. The buzzing would stop at a standstill. It was not RPM related since it did not change with throttle.

I took the entire unit out and used contact cleaner on the connections and then blew them out with air. I reinstalled the wiring and wrapped some light foam around the dice unit in case it was vibration related. I am not sure which of these fixed the problem, but it is back clear like new.

I actually think the culprit was the power lead to the Dice unit at the connector.

I hope this works for you also.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 5:26 pm

Hey guys, this may sound silly but I am new to the KLT and well, what is a dice unit.

Rich
2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2002 K1200LT
1988 Honda Hurricane 1000 (sold 1990)
1986 Honda Nighthawk S (sold 1988)
1985 Honda Interceptor 500 (sold 1987)
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 9:13 pm

Dice is an interface unit used to integrate an iPod to the LT factory sound system. You remove the CD changer from the right saddle bag and replace it with the dice unit. You will be able to control your iPod from the handlebar controls. Do a search on the word dice and you will find accounts with variable levels if success.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in