Felt I had to put my two cents worth in - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Felt I had to put my two cents worth in

I'm sure this will be long winded, but here it goes . . .
After a full season (finally) on the LT, here is what I think of the beast, some of it good, some of it bad . . .
The 2002 that got into the highway head on:
I found the seat a little uncomfortable, but not too bad. I was only able to put on 3000 km's on her before the pile up, but it impressed me enough to immediately look for a replacement.
The 2007:
I liked the increase in power, especially fully loaded two up. Love the electric/hydraulic center stand. I didn't have any problems putting the first one on the center stand, but lets face it: That hydraulic one is just so damn cool!
I had major issues with the seat. Rather than go out and spend large amounts of money on a custom one, I simply had the seat redone to flatten and widen the seat out, and stiffened up the material. HUGE difference for me.
I wasn't, and I'm still not, happy with changing the upper trim from blace to silver. The black just seemed to have more attitude and looked sharper.
This one seems to be a little finicky going from 1st to 2nd gear, but I just need to be mindful and make sure I'm not lazy on the shift.
I really liked the 6 disc cd changer in the original, until I got this one. I quickly realized that I would have had some major issues with storage capacity for my long trips for my woman and I. I've learned to live with reduced sound quality with an mp3 player. (Sorry, I'm lazy. I don't want to stop all the time to change out cd's in the top compartment lol)
After having the output seal changed 3 times, I'm gonna make some comments on the clutch that might upset a few people, but I hope you will bear with me.
Now, I'm not complaining about having to change the seal! Seals go, that is all there is to it. I work on oilfield equipment so I'm pretty realistic when it comes to items like that. Actually, the first time I changed it probably would have been fine, except I had synthetic oil in the transmission, and I should have changed it over to dinosaur oil right after (I could go into detail, but really, it's not needed I'm sure.)
What I DO have a problem with on the LT's is the pathetic clutch they have. I mean really, you've got this huge garbage barge, that many people are going to load right to the hilt, two up, and they put a single disc, dry clutch in it, and not much of one at that. If there is one thing the Japanese got right, it was putting wet multidisc clutches in their machines. Let's face it, they are damn near indestructable. As any of you know who have done this job yourselves, it is an extremely time consuming process just to get at this thing, and if you make a lot of miles on these bikes, you know that in all likelihood, you will have to replace that clutch at some point. Because it is dry, if you have any kind of oil contamination from the two locations that create the problem, you could end up being stranded a long ways from home.
As for the final drive, it looks like they addressed most of the problems in the later years. I haven't experienced one yet, and if it occurs, I'm probably not going to complain too much, unless it continues to be a problem. I will also be mindful, however, that if the problem reoccurs relatively quickly, that the problem may lie with shop that sets it up (this is one of those jobs I would leave to the "experts" seeing as I don't want to take any chances not having proper backlash.)
Does this make it a machine that is sub-standard to any others? Oh hell no, of course not. You will always run into lemons, no matter what make or model of machine it is. Ride a machine long enough, and parts are going to wear out. I have had incredible luck with Yamaha, but I'm fully aware that at least a fraction of that is LUCK.
All things considered, except for that damn clutch, I consider this to still be the best long haul garbage barge touring machine on the planet.
(I call anything over 750 lbs. a garbage barge, it's not just the LT!)
Now, I turn it over to you to competely tear me apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 11:45 am

Re: Felt I had to put my two cents worth in

Went for a ride the other day with a guy on a Goldwing and one on a Victory. While munching down lunch, we talked about the bikes. They were both very complimentary of the LT's looks, and how much faster it was getting to our destination (I was drinking coffee before the other two got there - seriously).
As we talked about the bikes, my comment was that the one thing I DID NOT like about the LT was the clutch system (dry, and slave valve) and that BMW certainly did fall short when it came to seals. My rear main started leaking at about 60somthing. Just shouldn't happen on this type of bike.
Bottom line, I'll share the heat with you, because I'm right in line with what you're feeling.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 11:49 am

I've finally reached a state of bliss with my 09 the difference was a full custom saddle which cured the extreme hip pain and a set of Wilbers. I couldn't be happier now with the ride ya 3K later to make up for oem equipment.

Think I'm still money ahead a GW was 4K more and a HD cost so much more it didn't really matter.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 12:55 pm

If you have a seal leak look on the bright side, you gained one of those indestructible wet clutches
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2rt
If you have a seal leak look on the bright side, you gained one of those indestructible wet clutches
At the end of the first period, it's New2art 1, RockMonkey no score!
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 1:05 pm

thought you might want to check out RB raceing,s site go to products and check out
bmw clutches they make performance clutches for all LT,s
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobst2
thought you might want to check out RB raceing,s site go to products and check out

The only problem with RB Racing is that they do have the product and they seem to have no interest in making them. It seems like a great idea, but they need to produce them rather than just advertise them.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobst2
I've got friends who have friends who have friends etc etc in the motorcycle industry.
The BMW clutches are vaporware. Most of the other stuff they advertise is legitimate. It's my understanding that they do very good custom racing work on bikes, the the BMW clutches do not, and the word I got, WILL not ever exist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in