What will fit this gps mount? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

What will fit this gps mount?

What are my options of gps units that will fit this mount?

And does that funny looking plug let the gps sound come through th stock wired bmw headsets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: What will fit this gps mount?

Garmin Street Pilot series 2610, 27xx and I think there was a 28xx also. All out of production now but they do show up on Flea bay and some other MC web sites.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Garmin Street Pilot series 2610, 27xx and I think there was a 28xx also. All out of production now but they do show up on Flea bay and some other MC web sites.
correct on 2820 also.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:16 pm

2820 is a great GPS for this mount.

Easy to use, is BT and holds a few audiobooks for listening pleasure. Also water-proof.
Does fad out in direct sunlight.

Need to get new maps every year, but is the one I have had for 4 years and has worked flawless for long trips.

Saw one on ebay for 70.00

Bowdon
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

So does that plug just supply power to the gps? Or does it also let the sound come through the radio speakers and or stock headsets?
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 5:28 am

That plug "could" do line out sound from the gps so you could hear GPS instructions through your headset via the intercom. It could also be power only depending on which part was used. Usually the MC mount version had a audio out plug that split out from that one and you would use another cable to the audio in for the intercom.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosel
So does that plug just supply power to the gps? Or does it also let the sound come through the radio speakers and or stock headsets?
I don't know if it works with the speakers, never tried it, it does play through the corded headsets. It will mute the music and comm for commands then return to regularly scheduled programs.
My bike has the NAVIII, fits that mount. It's a Garmin unit, probably one of the models mentioned above.
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 11:03 am

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...5&rnd=03252011

77_0340 - RETROFIT KIT NAVIGATOR II

That one connector powers the unit and takes the audio to a cable ending with a female.

I do not want to look down at my radio to see a GPS.

My GPS is mounted on an after market shelf at the top of the "dash board". I prefer looking slightly to my right to see my GPS. But, if I have to change a setting I have to use my throttle hand.

So, I recently moved it to the left hand side. I haven't been able to go for a ride since I moved it.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 7:03 pm

That is the power end that fits into the slot of the GPS.

2820 does not have a battery, its only powered with that cable.

Regards,

Bowdon
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 7:31 pm

BMW/Garmin made two units to fit that mount. The Navigator II and Navigator III. The II unit is out date and no longer supported by Garmin, the III is still supported by Garmin. Both units are available sometimes on EBAY. Expect to pay upwards of $300.o for the III unit. The good part about that mount is it is fused in the fuse box under the seat. Both units work quite well. Hope this helps you.
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 1:44 am

To be exact, that mount is NOT a BMW Nav II or III mount. It is a standard Garmin 2810 or equivalent. BMW Navigator mount has the extra four buttons on the left side of the mount.
Therefore, since the mount is Garmin and not BMW (which of course is also made by Garmin) I presume that the cable is also standard Garmin.
This leads to the doubt that the cable with all the pins is only using two pins +12V and ground, therefore it is only supplying power to the GPS unit, no sound or anything else.

Original BMW Nav II / III harness has a connection to BMW Intercom for receiving the GPS voice commands. For non-BMW intercoms there is a separate 2,5 mm female jack that supplies GPS sound to Autocom, Baehr etc. However, the GPS units at that time were not designed for music listening and thus there was no stereo output from GPS.

If you find it hard to find an older Garmin / BMW GPS you can use the base mount for a new Garmin Zumo 660 (or BMW nav IV) , for instance.
You just unscrew the four allen screws and install a Zumo mount instead.
However, you need to replace the existing power cable with the Zumo harness. That has all the outputs (and inputs) for connecting it with your bike intercom as well as with your cell phone if you wish.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #12 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 6:13 am

The connector shown in the OP picture supplies 12V+, 12V-, Input to the NAVIII if you have the mount with the left side buttons, and audio out. It doesn't have an internal speaker or battery.

With the car kit option it uses an external speaker attached to the power plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA200098 (Medium).JPG
Views:	24
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	33279  
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:08 am

I just took that mount off my 09. I still have the 2820 garmin that fits it. Only had power to the unit, no sound.

Installed the 665 in its place. Had to make spacers to off set the bump on the back of the garmin mount to the bike mount. Hooked the power up to the same plug and have keyed power to the unit.

Still looking for the right connections to wire the sound to the VOICE 2 with out using the plug on the front.

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincaron
I just took that mount off my 09. I still have the 2820 garmin that fits it. Only had power to the unit, no sound.

Installed the 665 in its place. Had to make spacers to off set the bump on the back of the garmin mount to the bike mount. Hooked the power up to the same plug and have keyed power to the unit.

Still looking for the right connections to wire the sound to the VOICE 2 with out using the plug on the front.

Are you geting rid of your old 2820? If so I might be interested.
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 5:48 pm

yes I am. PM sent.

Quote:
Are you geting rid of your old 2820? If so I might be interested.

post #16 of 19 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

How do I get to where the power wires run up to the gps? I mean back under the plastic behind the radio. Do I have to remove all the tupperware to get to that area? Or does the top piece come off some how for access to where the wires hook up under there?
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 9:26 pm

Pins 7&8 (the top two in your picture) are speaker - and speaker + for line out sound of the garmin street pilot. The MC cable had a second cable split off for sound. The automobile cable people would cut off the and and had both sound and power in the one cable. I use the line out for the voice out for Betty to speak. For music on the 2820 you want the other dedicated sound out external plug to get stereo. For power I connected to the battery (it had an inline fuse) so I could turn off the bike and not have to turn off the GPS at gas stops. Also handy to power the device and check weather and alternative routes without having to turn on the ignition. I routed my power and intercom cables under the gas tank when I had it off for maintenance. But I had my street pilot mout on a BMR shelf above the instrument panel with the cable going throuh the map light. So yours would be different.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Last edited by mwnahas; Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:34 pm.
post #18 of 19 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 9:28 pm

You have to take the part that holds the radio (the stingray) out to get to these wires. To do that you have to take both upper side panels loose to get to the screws.

Lift up the seat, there are a couple of screws down there, open the glove compartment door, more screws there. The screws next to the steering head, one on each side.

Remove the mirrors and the lower wind deflectors, there is a screw behind each one.

You also have to pop the side panels loose from the top mounts they fit in to.

Not to hard just kind of complex. Mark where the screws go when you take them out and be careful putting the side panels back on. There is a tab to get back in place along the top edge.

Or just call me, it's easier to talk you through over the phone then me trying to type it all down.

Kevin

post #19 of 19 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 3:15 am

Quote:
How do I get to where the power wires run up to the gps? I mean back under the plastic behind the radio. Do I have to remove all the tupperware to get to that area? Or does the top piece come off some how for access to where the wires hook up under there?
Just as a side comment:
Since your bike seems to be the facelift model it has a factory installed power output for gps. It can well be that the previous owner had the gps powered from there.
The plug is located behind the three connectors on the left side of the radio stngray.
If you don't find a counterpart for the power plug (since it is prewired for the BMW navigator) just cut ff the plug and replace it with a type you can find both parts.
Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in