Why not polarized sunglasses for riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Cool Why not polarized sunglasses for riding

I seem to remember reading somewhere that polarized sunglasses were not good for motorcycle riding. But I can't remember the rationale. I looked at some today. Seems like a good idea. Comments, ideas. I did search and did not find any reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSuz
I seem to remember reading somewhere that polarized sunglasses were not good for motorcycle riding. But I can't remember the rationale. I looked at some today. Seems like a good idea. Comments, ideas. I did search and did not find any reference.

Hey Eric:

Wear 'em all the time for driving and flying. Absolutely the best option, period. Prescription or not.

Just don't expect to look through a polycarbonate (OEM or National Cycle) windshield with them on - you'll think you are hallucinating!

Never had a problem with viewing through Acrylic, my only problem is that it is 20 times WEAKER than polycarbonate for impact resistance - and explodes into sharp daggers. Not on my scoot - no way.

I'm sure Daved Shealey can elaborate on why we get psychedelic rainbows through polycarbonate!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 13th, 2006 at 8:47 pm.
post #3 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Looking through polarized lenses on a motorcycle will result in some funky interference patterns on the windshield, instrument panel and a gps screen (if you have one). On the LT in particular, replete with its acres of plastic, the effect is quite noticeable and can result in difficulty reading instruments or a gps. An argument can also be made that the patterns on the windshield could potentially pose a safety hazard.

Michael
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT

post #4 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Quote:
The problem with polarized lenses are the following. Road surface conditions are distorted, eg . fluids such as water. oil may not be perceptible. A wet surface may appear dry. Polarized Lenses with brown, Grey green(G-15) are the least discriminate to detail. Amber polarized lenses give you a reasonable read of the road surface. All polarized lenses distort instrument and gps viewing.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

That is interesting. I did take a sample (demo) out to the bike and did not notice any problem with reading the GPS or the dash. This was about noon with sunshine. I didn't know about the rainbows in the windscreen so I didn't check. I have the aero flow windscreen.
post #6 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
The problem with polarized lenses are the following. Road surface conditions are distorted, eg . fluids such as water. oil may not be perceptible. A wet surface may appear dry. Polarized Lenses with brown, Grey green(G-15) are the least discriminate to detail. Amber polarized lenses give you a reasonable read of the road surface. All polarized lenses distort instrument and gps viewing.
Granted, but "glare" is still by far and away the biggest distraction and potential issue... fatigue from glare is also a major safety issue. Serengeti Strata drivers for me or nothing... IMHO Corning still makes the BEST lenses on the market for driving/flying sunglasses, and I include Nikon, Zeiss, Eagle Eyes, Oakley etc. and all the other wannabees in the mix.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 13th, 2006 at 9:31 pm.
post #7 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:58 pm

Quote:
That is interesting. I did take a sample (demo) out to the bike and did not notice any problem with reading the GPS or the dash. This was about noon with sunshine. I didn't know about the rainbows in the windscreen so I didn't check. I have the aero flow windscreen.
Should not be an issue looking through the Aeroflow - it is acrylic.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
----------------
I'm sure Daved Shealey can elaborate on why we get psychedelic rainbows through polycarbonate!
Not just polycarbonate, but often with acrylic also. Any polymer that has stresses in it will do that. If the material is not fully stress relieved after forming, the stresses themselves will affect light transmission and reflection within the material. Polarizing filters will allow light in one plane through with little affect, but will cause gradual reduction of light transmission as the angle of the rays moves from the plane of little restriction toward 90 degrees to it, where the light will be GREATLY reduced.

I won't use polarized lenses for driving or riding. Even looking through many windshields, and tempered glass will cause the "mottled" look.

On the bikes, another issue is that some helmet face shields will look mottled through polarizing lenses.

Polarizing lenses are GREAT for glare reduction on snow, and on water, but I used them for driving in the '60's for a while, no longer will do that.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Last time I ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses I told the clerk I did not want them polarized because of the problem with the rainbow effect when looking thru my windshield. She said the glare free coating that they can put on would take care of it and they could still be supplied as polarized. I said I would try it and found right away that that coating did nothing to eliminate the rainbow effect. I took them back and they re-made them un-polarized and problem solved - no rainbows. The effect is really annoying.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #10 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Not just polycarbonate, but often with acrylic also. Any polymer that has stresses in it will do that. If the material is not fully stress relieved after forming, the stresses themselves will affect light transmission and reflection within the material. Polarizing filters will allow light in one plane through with little affect, but will cause gradual reduction of light transmission as the angle of the rays moves from the plane of little restriction toward 90 degrees to it, where the light will be GREATLY reduced.

I won't use polarized lenses for driving or riding. Even looking through many windshields, and tempered glass will cause the "mottled" look.

On the bikes, another issue is that some helmet face shields will look mottled through polarizing lenses.

Polarizing lenses are GREAT for glare reduction on snow, and on water, but I used them for driving in the '60's for a while, no longer will do that.
...and - an interesting article is here: http://www.aoa.org/x1865.xml

I thought the statement in the article that glare causes decreased night vision was especially interesting... especially transitioning from bright sunshine to dusk it could be an even bigger problem.

I've never seen a "rainbow" effect through an acrylic windshield - on a bike or airplane. I HAVE seen the mottled effect through side windows on a car, but not anything in the last ten years - I wonder if the glass manufacturer's figured out a way to defeat that? or maybe Corning lenses just don't do this? I've worn them for 20 years with nary a problem...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I have the aero flow windscreen.
Then you already have plenty of distortion to deal with.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

True, but at a much lower level on the screen. With this one I look over the screen when riding solo. The main distortion now is about 10 feet in front of the bike. A little confusing when stopping in traffic at signal lights. But compared with my previous screen, which had distortion in the top 2 inches and gave me too much wind unless I looked through that top 2 inches, I am a happy camper!

The comment about wet roads apearing dry through polarized lens sounds scary. I think that idea was what I was remembering and my brain filed it as "don't get polarized sunglasses for riding".
post #13 of 57 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I often use that first 10 feet when lane splitting, so that alone was a deal-breaker for me. Glad the screen is working for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:24 am

Yeah ... what all the others said about the rainbow effect and distortion. I had a pair of prescription sunglasses made that were polarized. Was told to give them a try and bring them back if I did not like them. One Sunday ride was all it took to know they were going back.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #15 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:10 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's a great idea if you don't like to see where you're going! Most face shields and windscreens are made out of materials that significantly distort visually when wearing polarized glasses.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #16 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:49 am

Quote:
...and - an interesting article is here: http://www.aoa.org/x1865.xml

I thought the statement in the article that glare causes decreased night vision was especially interesting... especially transitioning from bright sunshine to dusk it could be an even bigger problem.

I've never seen a "rainbow" effect through an acrylic windshield - on a bike or airplane. I HAVE seen the mottled effect through side windows on a car, but not anything in the last ten years - I wonder if the glass manufacturer's figured out a way to defeat that? or maybe Corning lenses just don't do this? I've worn them for 20 years with nary a problem...
I have worn nothing but Serengeti Drivers for the past 30 years. I wore them most of the time when flying, funny, the article states issues with Serengetis that are there with ANY sunglasses. Don't know why they stated Serengetis in the article.

You are right, windshields normally are not bad with polarizing glasses, but some do have a little mottling affect. Rear and side windows are much worse (As I stated, Tempered glass can often cause it), and the worst is the plastic windows in convertable tops!

I did grab an old pair of polarized sunglasses once when I could not find my Serengetis to ride the LT, and glad it was not a long ride! The stock BMW shield is bad with polarizing glasses.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:29 am

Thumbs up A/R Coatings

Quote:
Granted, but "glare" is still by far and away the biggest distraction and potential issue... fatigue from glare is also a major safety issue. Serengeti Strata drivers for me or nothing... IMHO Corning still makes the BEST lenses on the market for driving/flying sunglasses, and I include Nikon, Zeiss, Eagle Eyes, Oakley etc. and all the other wannabees in the mix.
Agree there is a significant preceptable reduction in glare with polarized lenses,,, And Fatigue.. I use amber polarized lenses in all conditions from night driving to bright sun. I have learned to identify various road surface conditions. Another benefit for ones eye wear is the addition of anti reflective surface coatings to the front and back surface. At night the light travels through the lenses reflects off the eye orbit resulting in a glare image on the rear of the lenses.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #18 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:45 pm

The following is just my experience:

I wear Bolle' polarized non-prescription sunglasses. I do experience the "rainbow" effect with my GW windshield (kinda "cool" looking and not a problem since I look well over the shield) but not my HD windshield. A small corner of both my Roady XM screen and my Timex watch also gives me the rainbow effect. Otherwise no problem with any of my gauges, GPS screen, Nolan clear faceshield, GW status screen. I also have not experienced any problem in regards to "wet" road surfaces while riding.

regards
post #19 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 1:17 pm

Polarized or not, like everything else, is up to the individual. I have ridden with both types, and I think the polarized lenses are definitely better for fly fishing. My choice for riding however, is non-polarized, with a G-15 tint. The polarized lenses interfere with reading the LT's radio display, as well as the Sirius, and more importantly, make reading the road surface dicey. Wet surfaces, regardless of liquid, are very difficult to discern.

Others have mentioned the various anti-glare coatings, and with one very important exception, these have worked well for me. The exception is that the anti-glare coatings don't accept anti-fog preparations worth a damn, at least, not for me. YMMV.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #20 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Cool

Thanks for all this great info folks. I've been riding with polarized sun glasses and have wondered what that rainbow effect was along the curve of my windshield. One post mentions Seringettis and later on Corning - are the Seringettis made with Corning material?

Thanks again.
post #21 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Thanks for all this great info folks. I've been riding with polarized sun glasses and have wondered what that rainbow effect was along the curve of my windshield. One post mentions Seringettis and later on Corning - are the Seringettis made with Corning material?

Thanks again.
Yes, Serengeti Eyeware was a division of Corning. I think they sold out to another company, but the lenses are still Corning. The Serengeti "Drivers" lenses are still one of the best sunglass lenses available. I have worn nothing else for about the last 30 years. They are "photochromic", and will darken in bright sunlight, then lighten when the light level goes down.

edited: Serengeti now offers polarized drivers lenses. I have never tried them, always have had just the Drivers and Drivers Gradient lenses.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Last edited by dshealey; Mar 14th, 2006 at 4:17 pm.
post #22 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Howdy, Folks.

Free advise from the disreputable old geezer and worth every cent:

Well, I now am wearing bifocal progressive lenses for driving so I can read the XM receiver display. The only clipon sunglasses I've found that fit the new cheaters are polarized. Only polarized lenses I've ever had. Always used RayBan Aviators going back to my aviating and sailing days. I find that the gear position and clock display are blocked with the polarized lenses if I have the Schuberth (sic?) visor down in the way. Also, when looking through both the visor and the stock BMW windshield I will get a bit of the rainbow thing. Also, the XM and the GPS displays are partially blocked. Now, if I could find nonpolarized lenses, I would switch. I always found that with an adequate, optical quality sunglass (remember the RayBans?) that day long reflected glare was never a fatigue problem. My eyes are particularly sensitive to strong, bright glare and sunlight.

I think it's a matter of personal preference and habit.

Squintin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #23 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:37 pm

I have a pair of Bolle and Costa del Mar. I wouldn't ride without polarized glasses. Rainbow, some...not to the point of distracting or dangerous. The only gauge I've had "disappear" was the one on the gas pump when I was filling up. I always have to take the glasses off to see the amount.

Keith
post #24 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:40 pm

Howdy, Keith:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyDukes
I always have to take the glasses off to see the amount.

Keith
I bet it's the sticker price of that tank of gas more than the lenses. Before I look at the pump counter, I take a firm grip on the scooter and make sure I don't have anything expensive in my hands and my medical insurance card is on top of the stack of cards in my wallet in case I faint at the cost.

Gaspin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #25 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
---------------- My eyes are particularly sensitive to strong, bright glare and sunlight.

Squintin' Karl
My eyes are also VERY sensitive to bright sunlight. If I have to spend more than a few minutes out in the sun, and do not wear sunglasses, I will have big problems. Watery, burning eyes, and then a headache.

I had RayBans in the 1960's. I found the Serengeti Drivers to be MUCH better for me though. You should try a set, think you would love them.

They are not cheap! If you like the limited selections available at Costo or Sam's Club, they are usually around $60. Otherwise they will be $85 up.
Here is one source, with some info on the brand.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/serengeti-sunglasses.html

They are precision ground glass optics, not plastic.

I just did some searching, and found that Serengeti is now a Bushnell Precision Optics company. I thought Corning had sold, but did not know to whom.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #26 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Hi, David:

Quote:
I had RayBans in the 1960's. I found the Serengeti Drivers to be MUCH better for me though. You should try a set, think you would love them.

They are not cheap! If you like the limited selections available at Costo or Sam's Club, they are usually around $60. Otherwise they will be $85 up.
Here is one source, with some info on the brand.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/serengeti-sunglasses.html
If I were to ever go back to wearing simple sunglasses, then I would most certainly look at the Serengettis. The cost is not any worse than RayBans. Unfortunately, when I looked at the link you posted, I did not see any listing for clipon Serengettis. Darn.

Thanks,

Peerin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #27 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Hi, David:

If I were to ever go back to wearing simple sunglasses, then I would most certainly look at the Serengettis. The cost is not any worse than RayBans. Unfortunately, when I looked at the link you posted, I did not see any listing for clipon Serengettis. Darn.

Thanks,

Peerin' Karl
No clip ons unfortunately. They do sell prescription Serengetis, but I would have to go with Progressive, since they do not do Bi/Tri focals. That would be out of my price range though, between $4-500!!!

I do have an option that I use though, and it works exceedingly well! I still have the pair of stick on bi-focal lenses I bought at a pilot's fair about 6 years ago. They are now in about the 5th pair of Serengeti glasses.

You put them in wet, position them, and let them dry. They will not loosen until you need to remove them later to put in new glasses.

If you could do with bi-focal sunglasses, try these!
http://www.neoptx.com/

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #28 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Because the GPS screen is polarized just opposite of glasses and it makes it darn near impossible to read the screen well

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #29 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Howdy, David:
Quote:
do have an option that I use though, and it works exceedingly well! I still have the pair of stick on bi-focal lenses I bought at a pilot's fair about 6 years ago. They are now in about the 5th pair of Serengeti glasses.

You put them in wet, position them, and let them dry. They will not loosen until you need to remove them later to put in new glasses.

If you could do with bi-focal sunglasses, try these!
I looked at the web site and that's a very clever idea. I'll definitely look into should we manage to keep the house and the LT.

Appreciatin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #30 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
The following is just my experience:

I wear Bolle' polarized non-prescription sunglasses. I do experience the "rainbow" effect with my GW windshield (kinda "cool" looking and not a problem since I look well over the shield) but not my HD windshield. A small corner of both my Roady XM screen and my Timex watch also gives me the rainbow effect. Otherwise no problem with any of my gauges, GPS screen, Nolan clear faceshield, GW status screen. I also have not experienced any problem in regards to "wet" road surfaces while riding.

regards
My experiences also...been wearing either Maui Jim or Bolle polarized for over 10 years now...no problem at all. The mottled effect only seems to be noticeable when looking into the rear windows of other cars..
post #31 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Because the GPS screen is polarized just opposite of glasses and it makes it darn near impossible to read the screen well
Which model? My Garmin 2610 screen is crystal clear with my Bolle' sunglasses.

regards
post #32 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Wish, I had seen this post before getting my sunglasses. It is a pain.
post #33 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Unhappy glass sunglasses

My MSF teaching recommends against wearing glass lenses. Polycarbonate lenses are supposed to be better and are more apt to be ANSI approved. But how good are the optics of polycarbonate lenses? The inexpensive polarized plastic lenses do leave you with the distortions and missing text issues. And we have to deal with scratching too. Any discussion on the merits of glass vs polycarbonate in light of the safety issue? Any recommendations for higher grade optical quality polycarbonate lenses? Thanks for any insight (no pun intended).
post #34 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:36 pm

stirring the pot

I have the perfect solution for the rainbow effect from the windshield with polarized glasses...don't look thru the windshield. I much prefer to see the crazy drivers out there by eliminating the glare.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #35 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride1
My MSF teaching recommends against wearing glass lenses. Polycarbonate lenses are supposed to be better and are more apt to be ANSI approved. But how good are the optics of polycarbonate lenses? The inexpensive polarized plastic lenses do leave you with the distortions and missing text issues. And we have to deal with scratching too. Any discussion on the merits of glass vs polycarbonate in light of the safety issue? Any recommendations for higher grade optical quality polycarbonate lenses? Thanks for any insight (no pun intended).
I have had three BAD accidents, totaled two LTs, and was wearing Serengetis in all of them. I am still wearing the ones I had on in my last 80 MPH tumble, was wearing my normal Arai 3/4 helmet at the time, shield was ripped off of it, and my sunglasses still have a pretty bad scratch on one lens. I have never had a lens break in them, and have dropped them on hard surfaces many times. They seem to be very shatter resistant, but not rated as safety glasses by any means.

I would rather have the really good optical qualities for the great many hours I rode than the break resistance for a couple seconds. You just cannot get the optics and photochromic quality of the Serengetis in anything plastic.

Just like my decision to wear 3/4 helmets, better comfort weighed against possible less protection. I was fortunate in that in all my accidents my helmets protected me VERY well.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #36 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:56 pm

I was a huge Serengeti fan before switching to Maui Jim a number of years (and $'s ) ago. I have had minimal rainbow effect. I'm in agreement with Dave that comfort and optics trump the "saftey" of a plastic lense. I work, play, motor, sail...essentially live outdoors. I flat, will not give up my polarized glasses. I'd literally feel naked without them.

The disappearing LCD problem is not the issue it used to be. There has been some type of change lately with high end screens. This was an issue on sailboat instumentation, (sailors wear shades) You could see the screen by tilting your head 90* to right of left. (try it at the pump) I think the new screens are oriented differently or sumpin'?

I bet Dave knows the answer to this one too!
You're a pretty smart feller Shealy!
post #37 of 57 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Quote:
I have had three BAD accidents, totaled two LTs, and was wearing Serengetis in all of them. I am still wearing the ones I had on in my last 80 MPH tumble, was wearing my normal Arai 3/4 helmet at the time, shield was ripped off of it, and my sunglasses still have a pretty bad scratch on one lens. I have never had a lens break in them, and have dropped them on hard surfaces many times. They seem to be very shatter resistant, but not rated as safety glasses by any means.

I would rather have the really good optical qualities for the great many hours I rode than the break resistance for a couple seconds. You just cannot get the optics and photochromic quality of the Serengetis in anything plastic.

Just like my decision to wear 3/4 helmets, better comfort weighed against possible less protection. I was fortunate in that in all my accidents my helmets protected me VERY well.
I think David said it very well - there is no comparison in optical quality between glass and plastic. My thinking: if the impact in a crash is bad enough to fracture the glass it will be the least of your problems - they will probably end up in the ditch and not on your face. They are extremely tough.

I chose the Strada Serengeti Driver lenses - they are crazy expensive ($500 +) in prescription - but my choice as a professional pilot. They are almost impossible to scratch over a lifetime of use due to the very specialized glass Corning uses. One of the very few bonuses of getting (cough, ahem) older is that your prescription tends to stabilize so you don't need to spend a wad on new glasses every year, so the $$ start to make sense.

One caveat however - if you have a fairly radical prescription the lenses can get VERY heavy - which can cause a lot of reference pain from the pressure on the nose pads - especially if you choose an "aviator" type of style.

Sigh - tough choices... but for me looking over the windshield is always my priorty.

Unless the ground speed is over 200 mph...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:11 pm.
post #38 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I would rather have the really good optical qualities for the great many hours I rode than the break resistance for a couple seconds.
It seems the same argument could be applied to polycarbonate versus acrylic windshields.

Hopefully the new ZTechnic windshield will solve both problems.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #39 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 6:16 am

Optics-Glass-plastic

Snip> I think David said it very well - there is no comparison in optical quality between glass and plastic
__________________________________________________ _________

Optical quality of OTC sunglasses may be questionable. However FWIW Prescription eye wear in plastic is equal to glass. Visual acuity is equal. Prescription Polycarbonate lenses can create depth perception and visual field variations compared to glass or plastic. PC lenses although the most impact resistant scratch the easiest. The three lenses have different index of refraction. The index difference affects lens curvatures both on both front and back surface. Glass 1.523, Plastic 1.49, PC do not recall the index but greater than plastic and glass, Which accounts for different lens thickness in RX eye wear.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #40 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 7:08 am

Im not sure, I was told that some time back and when I got my first pair of glasses I asked about that and the doc told me also some dashs' in cars were polarized, he said they done just the oppistie of glasses, why well heck I have no Idear

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #41 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
It seems the same argument could be applied to polycarbonate versus acrylic windshields.
Not for me. I look through the sunglasses all the time, always over the top of the windshield. If my sunglasses get hit hard enough to break, I probably will have far worse things to worry about. If a windshield shatters in an accident, those long sharp shards could be deadly. So far though, the sunglasses have scraped my nose pretty badly in the first accident, stitches required above my eye in the second from them jamming up against my eyebrow, and in the last accident they got a pretty nice gouge in the right lens, just out of my main field of view so I am still wearing them, after straightening out the frame.

Those are some TOUGH lenses!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #42 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:18 am

Quote:
Not for me. I look through the sunglasses all the time, always over the top of the windshield. If my sunglasses get hit hard enough to break, I probably will have far worse things to worry about. If a windshield shatters in an accident, those long sharp shards could be deadly. So far though, the sunglasses have scraped my nose pretty badly in the first accident, stitches required above my eye in the second from them jamming up against my eyebrow, and in the last accident they got a pretty nice gouge in the right lens, just out of my main field of view so I am still wearing them, after straightening out the frame.

Those are some TOUGH lenses!
David....a couple of things. I too prefer tempered glass lenses, but for a reason not mentioned. Polycarbonate lenses are great, until they inevitibly become lightly scratched. It takes very little scratching (yes, I always used lens friendly wipes or soft cotton) to create havoc when riding at night. The dazzle, starbursts, etc. associated with those miniscule scratches greatly add to the strain of an already- stressful situation. The glass lenses, being much harder, can be wiped with anything short of wet-or-dry.....no scratches!

Your tip about the stick-on magnifying lenses was great! Last night I visited my local Walgreens, which sells them for $9.95. Using them now, as I type. I CAN SEE, I CAN SEE!!!! Now I can read the map on the tankbag without lifting the chinpiece and looking under my specs. Now that I'm pushing 60, I guess it's time for bifocals (duh), but for now, this cheap bastard is happy!

Hope to see you riding again.....

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #43 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrosie
David....a couple of things. I too prefer tempered glass lenses, but for a reason not mentioned. Polycarbonate lenses are great, until they inevitibly become lightly scratched. It takes very little scratching (yes, I always used lens friendly wipes or soft cotton) to create havoc when riding at night. The dazzle, starbursts, etc. associated with those miniscule scratches greatly add to the strain of an already- stressful situation. The glass lenses, being much harder, can be wiped with anything short of wet-or-dry.....no scratches!

Your tip about the stick-on magnifying lenses was great! Last night I visited my local Walgreens, which sells them for $9.95. Using them now, as I type. I CAN SEE, I CAN SEE!!!! Now I can read the map on the tankbag without lifting the chinpiece and looking under my specs. Now that I'm pushing 60, I guess it's time for bifocals (duh), but for now, this cheap bastard is happy!

-tom
Hi, Tom - quick note for ya. I too had the polycarbonate lenses in my tri-focal sunglasses. They were really scratched so bad, that they were becoming practically useless at anytime other than a cloudy day! Then, one day I saw an ad on TV for some miracle solution that you just wipe on your glasses with a Q-tip and the scratches disappear!! Snake oil, I said to meself, butt ..... sometime later, I wuz refilling a bottle of Brillianize and thought just for sheets and grins, I'd see what the chances are of that ad's procedure working on my scratches. Viola!! No kidding, the scratches disappeared in short order and over the next few days, were a pleasure to wear again. The cure doesn't last very long; a temporary fix for sure, butt it worked - I suspect it has somethang to do with a large amount of silicon filling in the scratches temporarily, cuz Brillianize seems to have a lot of silicon in it. Anyway, I used the Q-tip/Brillianize process for several months before hitting my annual eye checkup appointment. New lens now; prescription has changed and I'm like you "I can see, I can see"!!
post #44 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrosie
David....a couple of things. I too prefer tempered glass lenses, but for a reason not mentioned. Polycarbonate lenses are great, until they inevitibly become lightly scratched.
I agree. My normal glasses are plastic lenses, and do last quite a while, but do get little light scratches pretty easily, and as you say, not all that noticeable, until NIGHT driving!
Quote:

-tom
Hey, that is great to know! I have to go to Walgreens now and get a couple more pairs. They are fantastic items. I got mine at a Pilots Fair, but had just put off ordering extra ones on the internet only because of "just doing it". But now that there may be a local source, no more excuses for not upgrading my spare sunglasses! I am 63 now, and wearing Tri-focals. So upgrading good sunglasses to bi-focals for such a low price is a no-brainer.

I hope to get another bike when (IF?) we get our home sold and move to the TN/NC area. Unfortunately, my wife does not want me doing LD riding again, she has had three bad phone calls, so she is understandably concerned. Even if I do not do LD riding, I would still want another LT though. After nearly 5 years of commuting on it, plus the LD riding, I see no reason to get anything else. That bike just "FIT" me like no other could. Really curious to see what the next generation LT is going to be though.

The GS is also a possibility

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #45 of 57 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 1:08 pm
Ted

Quote:
I hope to get another bike when (IF?) we get our home sold and move to the TN/NC area. Unfortunately, my wife does not want me doing LD riding again, she has had three bad phone calls, so she is understandably concerned. Even if I do not do LD riding, I would still want another LT though. After nearly 5 years of commuting on it, plus the LD riding, I see no reason to get anything else. That bike just "FIT" me like no other could. Really curious to see what the next generation LT is going to be though.

The GS is also a possibility
This is great to hear, David. I really thought that "Santa" was going to bring you one this year - good to see it's on the horizon!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #46 of 57 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 3:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Could be. But then some of us would disgree with that argument.
post #47 of 57 Old Mar 16th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Thumbs up Good Choice

Quote:
Serengeti Strata drivers for me or nothing... IMHO Corning still makes the BEST lenses on the market for driving/flying sunglasses, and I include Nikon, Zeiss, Eagle Eyes, Oakley etc. and all the other wannabees in the mix.
Good choice on glasses Ron and they ARE NOT polarized either. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #48 of 57 Old Feb 27th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Garage
Re: Why not polarized sunglasses for riding

Old topic !!!

I have used polarized sunglasses for years and years. I noticed an issue when looking at my watch from time to time but when riding my '98 R1200C there was nothing digital in front of me to cause me any issue.

Now, with the 2016 R1200RTW - plenty of LCDs to try and look at. My sunglasses have to go and this thread has given me several options to look at.

Thanks!!!!
post #49 of 57 Old Feb 27th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Well let me chime in here. Last month I ordered a new pair of prescription glasses, actually 2 because the second pair was half off. These are nice glasses, transitions bifocals that get lighter or darker depending on how bright it is. When choosing the second pair, the lady who was helping me suggested I get some driving glasses with some anti glare coating. I chose a nice titanium frame with small lenses so they would fit nicely while I'm wearing my helmet. $300.00+ later and a week go by when the glasses arrive. It is then I discover they are almost useless for my intended purpose because when I'm looking through most plastic screens like the helmet's face shield, it looks like there are green stripes and shapes on the shield. If I'm looking through nothing or glass they are fantastic.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #50 of 57 Old Feb 28th, 2017, 1:00 am

Just confirming what others have already stated. I learned a long time ago that I could not use polarized glasses due to the "rainbow effect".

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in