stereo upgrade needed. any good installers in the mid atlantic area? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 8:27 am Thread Starter

stereo upgrade needed. any good installers in the mid atlantic area?

My sysyem's pretty poor . any recommendations ? Thanks, Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 9:02 am

Re: stereo upgrade needed. any good installers in the mid atlantic area?

Not sure what you're asking for here what is it that you trying to accomplish?

There really is no upgrade to what the bike comes with what you see is what you've got.
You can add things like starcom1 and other after market products like it that will allow you add other devices that will tie into the existing system.

Regards

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrom999
My sysyem's pretty poor . any recommendations ? Thanks, Allan
Allan, I live just south of Waldorf, MD (in Hughesville). Not sure what you're interested in doing with your audio system, but I would be willing to help you install or upgrade. Personally, I pulled all the audio gear out of my LT. I installed multiple power outlets in the (now much larger) glove compartment to power my GPS and charge my phone, etc.

I use my Android phone with a Sena bluetooth headset for all my audio needs: XM, Pandora, Cloud/MP3 player, cell phone, intercom (wife has a Sena in her helmet also). I did considering installing a Jensen marine type head unit as some here have done. Nice set up, but prefer the "in helmet" type solution. Anyway, I am experienced, nearby, and work cheap (free) if you're interested. I also do tires...

Rick
<><

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
2004 R1150RT (sold)

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Garage

I'm a total spaz when it come to doing anything mechanical and yet I was able to swap out the radio twice! Try it- you will like it!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 9 Old Oct 19th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Alan, Couldn't find much info on you from profile. What bike. What year and all that.

I have a '99 that I've had for just a tad over a year. Have made many modifications to it all done by myself. Never had any thoughts against just diving right in. If someone can design it and have it made... the least I can do is take it apart and fix it like I want it. In fact as I type this... the LT is again naked in the shop with all the Tupperware hanging from bungee cords as I'm working under the Stingray again with a mod or two and just finished installing the Run-N-Lites which make the front and rear blinkers into Running and Flashing lights. A really quick fix for that.

If you will do a search for Jensen 2212 Marine radio, you should come up with lots of pages to look at. My radio along with the XM receiver just up and quit on me during a recent Nova Scotia trip. Couldn't take a little rain I guess . I almost couldn't take it either on the 8th day of rain, but that was over the 27 days we were on the road. I tried the 'tried and true' method of removing the battery connectors for an overnight rest but I guess water had gotten in pretty deep.

Anyway the Jensen is an easy replacement and it's a marine grade water proof radio too. The head unit will fit directly in the place where the present radio with the buttons goes and the amp unit will fit right in under that where the BMW unit goes. It does take a bit of cutting on the top of the Stingray but it's pretty easy. You would do well to check around as I paid only $189 for the radio on line. I also got the Sirius receiver made to interface with this radio as down here in the south, you can imagine what the radio stations carry. The Jensen has inputs for USB - Just plug in a USB drive with MP3's and it starts to play immediately. Input for the mentioned Sirius and all the info and tuning is done right there on the head unit which is pretty easy to see and use. And of course the AM/FM and it's also got it's own Weather band too. You loose the remote radio unit on the handlebars but you can reach whatever you need over a tank bag with no problem. You also loose your Tape Player which I had with the '99 but you might have had a CD or other things in later years.

Alan that's a good point where updating your profile to indicate which bike and it's year would help in getting you pertinent information. There were changes made every year or so in the earlier years of the LT's life between the radios and it's peripherals.

You also have inputs for another source via RCA plugs. Granted there is quite a 'clump' of cables behind the new radio but overall it's a no brainer as the sound quality is wonderful,

On the handlebar remote control unit... since I didn't have usage of it anymore, I removed it all together. In it's place I made up a mount that would move the J&M CB/Intercom/Weather radio from on top of the handlebar down so that the radio is now inline where the remote unit was. This gives me back my line of sight to the left mirror and to the On Board Computer I mounted in the dash some time ago.

Too bad you are a good ways up the coast, but I'd be glad to help where I can. Sure that others will chime in for advice also. You know I just looked... you're only about 850 miles NE from me, gosh just a days ride up and I don't have Maryland yet.

Later

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #6 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of info. I have a 2005 LT. It's got the single changer int the stingray, along with radio aux and comm ability. When I play music through radio or ipod at cruising speed, the music isnt loud enough. is there any way to get loud and clear music at speed? BTW ive checked the setting for increased volume as speed increases. Is a new unit required? new speakers? Thanks again, Allan
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 8:08 am

Garage

Silly question- is the sound all the up on the ipod? That may help the stereo a bit. You can also look at buying a little gizmo call boosteroo. It works like an inline amplifier. It plugs into the ipod and then you plug the cassette adapter into it. I think it's like $25 at Radio Shack.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Not really a silly question ! when I first got the bike I thought I had a bad radio cause it wouldn't play any ipod. someone on the board suggested switching to "aux" setting . But yes, ipod all the way up I will look into boosteroo though. Thanks.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 21st, 2011, 8:16 am

There isn't a whole lot of wattage coming out of the radio that and the oem speakers wouldn't handle anything more. You did raise the wind screen up it helps some but anything above 50 the music gets washed out.

I installed speakers in my helmet along with a starcom1 digital unit.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in