LT Too Easy to Turn? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

LT Too Easy to Turn?

Background: I've owned a bunch of bikes of all sizes, and have ridden a few miles over the years. (30+ bikes, 190K miles). I've also had a bit of on-road professional rider training, and consider myself a decent rider.

Issue: I find it more "difficult" to hold a clean, consistent turn radius with my LT than other bikes I've owned. The counter steering forces are "so" light that, compared to other bikes, large or small, it turns too easily.

This weekend I did about 100 miles on reasonably technical back roads just to focus on turn techniques, and was able to put the bike where I wanted in turns......start point, radius, apexing where I wanted, etc. But.... it seemed to require more concentration than I"m used to. Maybe I'm just getting older. Again......I'd describe what I'm experiencing as ....it turns too easily.

My bike is a '99 with 96K miles but has a set of almost new, low mileage,used, shocks just installed, everything in the steering and suspension is OK, tires are in good shape and at the right pressures.

Comments and critiques welcome.

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Re: LT Too Easy to Turn?

Steering dampner???

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Go faster. It's like the old Husqvarnas, the harder you ride the better she handles. Just pin the ears back and let her go.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 2:01 pm

The LT is under sprung from the factory with new shocks. Throw a set of Ohlins on her with a stiffer spring rate and keep the revs up around 5K in the tight stuff.
01 LT on Rails even two up.............

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
The LT is under sprung from the factory with new shocks. Throw a set of Ohlins on her with a stiffer spring rate and keep the revs up around 5K in the tight stuff.
01 LT on Rails even two up.............
Or you could add better springs to the existing shocks assuming they are not shot and save a lot of cash.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Jeff, just for grins see if you can get a hold of a post 2005 for a ride and see if the changes that were made in the later model years makes a difference?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I agree, new shocks or springs is like night and day difference in the way the bike handles. I changed my shocks at around 50,000 miles. Don't know why I waited so long.
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I would guess shock, damper but also the big handle bars don't require much force to counter steer like some bike.

But I also notice if I don't give it a bit more throttle coming out of a long turn it will tend to move out of its line. My bike likes the revs up and keep pushing the revs up a bit through the turn and the line is always perfect then, unless I look in the wrong place during the turn and then all bets are off.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 7:44 pm

I came from cruisers....BIG cruisers. When I rode the LT it was downright scary. I too felt that the steering was terribly light. After spending the last two years on it I feel very comfortable with it. So much so that when I ride my cruiser, I can't stand the heavy front end steering on it. It's like driving a new sports car vs. driving a '50 Ford with manual steering. Maybe there's nothing wrong with it...it might just be a comfort issue. I got some good understanding on the issue when I read an article about positive, negative and neutral steering. The LT seems to lean toward the neutral which can feel odd if you're not used to it. Good luck.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 5:18 pm

Never gave this much thought until I saw this thread. I find the same characteristics on my 09LT. So over the past couple days I really had to work on finesse to hold a smooth turn. It took some practice but you must be very light on the handle bars. Even while using the throttle manually, one would not think it is impacting, but working the throttle can break the smooth maneuver. Cruise control on a level curve helps provided no accel or deceleration takes place. When I get a chance to ride another bike...I will try the same.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2011, 2:55 pm

My friend Randy, who is smarter than I am, once suggested that the reason BMW's (Flying Bricks and R Models) turn so easily is because of the gyroscopic effect of their engine designs.

Did you have a gyroscope when you were a child?

Think about a spinning gyroscope and how hard it is to turn it in a direction different from the direction of its rotation. BMW's have a lot of mass within the engine that is rotating on an axis perpendicular to the direction the motorcycle is traveling. That makes it easier to lean the motorcycle from side to side, as compared to a bike (V-Twins and upright 4's, etc.) in which the crank and flywheels are rotating in the same direction the motorcycle is traveling. In the latter example, the gyroscopic energy created by the rotation of the engine fights any effort to lean the motorcycle and to go any direction other than straight ahead.

Randy's theory made sense to me. I hope I explained it well enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in