What's the old girl worth? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:37 am Thread Starter

What's the old girl worth?

I hate being one of those that joins a list and immediately just asks for advice, but that's what I need (and maybe someone here would be interested anyway - what better place?). So, I have a 1999 K1200LT bought in Dec. 99. Only owner. Now, please don't chastise me for the low mileage, but the bike has just over 20K miles on. Since the mileage is so low, I've done really nothing major (like final drive or anything). Just routine maintenance. It's been tipped, but never crashed, and is in great shape. Sure, it needs oil and fluid changes. Tires are OK, though probably about 5 years old. I'd have no hesitation to take this thing on a long ride. I just don't ride it anymore. Bought with two up in mind, but my wife really just doesn't ride with me. I have other bikes I ride (BMW, KTM), and am thinking about a new 1200GS.

So, wondering what this thing is worth. I suppose I could get a lot more just parting it out, but that would be a travesty, parting out such a nice bike. I don't believe there's anything not working on it. About the only thing I added are some PIAA lights unobtrusively mounted under fairing, and a (can't recall brand name) shelf above dash to hold GPS/radar detector. Also I have an Aeroflow headlight guard on it.

I don't recall even what was an option at the time I bought it, but it has a CD changer. Would anyone even care about that anymore?

All paint is in beautiful condition.

Thanks for reading and any advice. And if you're interested, lemme know! :-)

Jim Bessette

Last edited by jimbes; Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:38 am. Reason: Never finished writing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:10 am

Re: What's the old girl worth?

The other question is if it is the standard, icon or custom model. That will make some difference but the best thing I can tell you is to look at ebay and see what they have been selling for.

I would guess your looking 5000 to 6500 top from what I have seen on ads.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:29 am

I've got a '99 too. It's been repainted in White, has zero extras except the passenger arm rests, ABS Not working, Radio not working and the CD player taken out. It also had some cracks in the passenger seat and backrest. It had 64,000 on it when I bought it about a year ago. I paid just under $4000.

I've put over 10k on her. Haven't fixed the ABS or the Radio or the seats. But I'd take her anywhere. What an awesome ride! Even without the extras, she is still a solid bike in ride, "feel", and looks. I shocked someone just the other day when I said it was a '99 model.

I don't know what you could sell it for, but that's what I just bought mine for back in January. THought it might help a little. Good Luck!

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:34 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Just checking NADA on a Icon model it listed from Low $4100 to High of $5000. I sold my 2000 with 70K miles last June for $4500.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Ya, I was going to say $4K for your settle for price.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 2:39 pm

The latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News just came out and has their annual issue of used bike prices. I don't have my copy with me or I'd look it up for you but if you can find a copy on the newsstand you could use it as a starting point.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Garage

Having BEEN in the market for a new LT in the recent weeks, I had my eagle eye out for anything that ended with "LT"...

As most above pointed out, the old girl ain't worth what she used to be. I purchased Barbara with a boat load of add-ons for 6K 80K miles 3 years ago. For the lineage alone she was worth it. Add the rest of the stuff and it was good sailing...

I've seen everything from 5K upwards to 10K for '99-'02's for some reason most are like you. In that they are all low mileage puppies. It all boils down to what you want for her and how long you are willing to keep her in the barn. Priced right, everything will move. Priced too high and it will sit until that one sucker comes along...

I was able to score an '05 27K with a lot of oem and aftermarket accessories for $9,2. I had the cash... He needed it... DONE...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Got my 2003 LTE with 35K miles for $5,250 a couple of weeks ago.
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Purchased my '99 just a little over 1 year ago down in Tallahassee. Everything worked and it was in great shape. Mileage was 18,324 and the only thing I saw was the really bad windshield. They agreed to replace the windshield with a ZTechnic and I walked out the door with the bike for $4200.

Yes I was smiling!

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Just my two cents....I wouldn't ride on 5 year old tires, especially with the amount of sitting that bike has done. I just purchased an 04GT with 1500 miles (yep) on it and changed tires immediately
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecaz
Just my two cents....I wouldn't ride on 5 year old tires, especially with the amount of sitting that bike has done. I just purchased an 04GT with 1500 miles (yep) on it and changed tires immediately
Heck, if you aren't very careful, you could end up with new tire purchase and they'd be 5 years old. Nothing like the old sun to kill tire life. If the bike was sitting on the center stand with the weight off of the tires, I don't see what is wrong with 5 yr old tires, if not cracked or bulged ?
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdrz400
Got my 2003 LTE with 35K miles for $5,250 a couple of weeks ago.
That's a steal! Paid $7400 for the same one with 44K on it.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in