RT as a 2nd Bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 9:12 am Thread Starter

RT as a 2nd Bike

I've had my LT since I bought it new in 2007. I commute on it almost every day to work and a recent move of my workplace to a new location puts me through heavier traffic.My wife and I both love it for touring but it can be a handful at low speeds and in traffic. I'm considering buying a new 1200RT as a solo bike to ride to work since it is quite a bit lighter and can be equipped with most of the features that I have become accustomed to. I would of course still keep the LT for road work.

Does anyone else have both? Would an RT be noticeably better at low speeds and in traffic. I considered an F800 but I have a good portion of high speed freeway travel in all weathers and it has virtually no wind protection or amenities.

TIA, Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 9:23 am

Re: RT as a 2nd Bike

I have been pondering the same question as I don't do nearly as much 2 up riding as I had anticipated when I bought the LT. (New ladyfriend has 2 Beemers of her own) Been thinking about finding an RT or RTP as a 2nd addition although the garage is gonna be quite crowded.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 9:30 am

I ride an LT, but I've been pondering the possibilities and looking for an RT to expand my stable too.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:26 am

I own both bikes and I love them both. I still ride the LT many more miles than the RT but I plan to keep both. The LT is considerably more comfortable but the RT is much more sporty and fun to ride. I love interstate touring, really long rides and riding 2up with my wife, the LT is the hands down, best bike I have ever owned for that kind of riding. But when I want to go out alone for an hour or two and blow off some stress, I love riding the RT through the canyons and back roads. The RT is also much better for around town or short errands. Either bike is great and I would highly recommend either, but both is better.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:34 am

I kinda like the combination of an LT and a GS.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:36 am

I had both for a while when I first bought the LT. For the long haul and 2 up the LT is by far the most comfortable. However for traffic and short runs I'd opt for the RT. I don't ride long distance anymore and I find that I put many more miles on my RT when I had it that I have on the LT. I find that the LT is just too much to handle for me in tight spaces and parking lots. Due to a recent laydown in a gas station lot to avoid a car backing out in front of me, I have decided to sell the LT.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:44 am

I have an LT and a GS for my one up riding. Often ride the GS to work which is a 40 mile commute each way.
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Bruce: I have an 03 LT and a 2000 Rt. I save the LT for the long stuff and use the RT for shorter rides. I can't speak for the new ones but my Rt is easier and cheaper to maintain and it helps keep the miles off the LT. In my case both bikes share the same oil filter and lubricants throughout. The LT takes some readjusting after riding the RT all winter here in Florida. If you have the garage space- cash flow and permission, jump.
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 8:27 pm

I sold my RT and bought the LT, the LT is the perfect bike for my wife and me but the RT is a fantastic bike, much lighter, quick, great brakes, very easy to maintain if you are a DIY. It is tall and can feel top heavy but that disappears and soon as you let the clutch out.

There are great deals on used ones and it won't be such a hit if you decide it's not for you.

If you're looking for a commuter/work bike consider an R1200R, you can add the same bags. Then there is the GS.

Whatever you decide, you can't loose with a boxer.
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:52 am

I have both. They make a great combination. I do prefer the LT's comfort and have no problems with the big beast even in Los Angeles traffic. They are both amazingly nimble for big bikes. You'll find most passengers prefer the LT.
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I have both. My RT is a 1998 R1100RT-P so it is not as refined as a brand new bike. I will say I absolutly love to ride it and it is much easier to handle in town. Maintenance is a snap. Mine has "city bags" so it is much more narrow than the LT and is my choice for Sunday morning rides on mountain curves. I would suggest trying to rent one to see if it is the right choice for for a purchase.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 12:49 pm

I have a 1998 R1100RT and a 2005 K1200LT. The LT was purchased for the comfort of the passenger. The LT has the advantage for passenger comfort. If you do a lot of in town stop & go driving in the hot summer time; you may want to inquire if the RT would give you overheating problems. As long as you are moving air over the cylinders in the RT, you'll be fine. If you gave me money, I would buy a RT. There is a little more valve maintenance on the RT. The RT is much easier to handle and has a fun personality in the curves. Like posts above have listed, consider a GS if you want to get off the pavement.
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 20th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As others have stated, the RT is a nice change from the LT. My RT is probably a little older than you're thinking of getting, but I use it for more local riding and still get all the wind/rain protection and a really nice ride. I drool over the newer models, but really like keeping the older stock running like a top and on the road.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in