Starting issues... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Starting issues...

I was on a 2000 mile ride that I just got back from. While on the ride, four or five times, my 2005 K1200LT struggled to start, and on one occasion failed to start altogether until I sprayed some engine start into the air intake.

When it failed altogether, the starter turned over fine but it did not fire at all. Then I sprayed in some engine start (attempting to work out "spark or fuel") and it kicked a few times then, with copious throttle on-off application slowly fired and then ran. The next morning it struggled to start, where the starter was spinning, then after about 5-10 seconds it kicked a few times while I opened and closed the throttle, and it sputtered into life. I normally would not use any throttle to start the bike, so its not my "starting technique".

What's weird is that once it starts, it runs fine like nothing is wrong, and then it can go for a couple of days without any starting issues (starts easily with no throttle application). The it struggles again a few days later. It struggled in a very remote location which made me a little nervous...

Any ideas? I did recently change the fuel filter (and I was very particular to ensure it went on the right way), but it ran over 1000 miles before any problem, including a run on the Tail of the Dragon (actually it completely failed to start after that day). I was running in rain all day that day when it failed 1000 miles from home (literally...) but it struggled a few days later in the dry where everything should have been dry. I'm stumped....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Re: Starting issues...

Here is a similar thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47384

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Fuel pump relay..

Failure mode: Won't start till you crank it for a long time....

You crank the engine long enough for the oil pressure to come up and the oil pressure relay to kick in and turn the fuel pump on...

When you turn on the key, Listen for the fuel pump to run.. Betcha when it won't start, You didn't hear it run...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Where do I listen for the fuel pump or is there another way to be sure the fuel pump is running? I thought I heard the pump but the ABS pump is so loud that maybe I'm hearing that.... I did (at the time it completely failed) feel the lower fuel tank and it felt like the pump was starting and stopping when the ignition was switched on and off again, but again, it's possible it was the ABS pump....

And if it's that hose thing that pops off inside the tank, how do I make sure that never happens again? Thanks!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 6:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I think Bob has you on the right path with the relay posting. Relays have a habit of working then not working, then working again. That alone will drive you nuts. Best just to replace them. I don't suspect the hose as once it is off it stays off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in