LT Front Collision - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

LT Front Collision

Hi Anyone got an idea if my bike is really badly damamged or has survived with only minor damage? Heres what happened: We hit the back of a car fully loaded with weekend kit and my wife as pillion (at about 20-30km), the car (see the picture) was hit squarely on the rear bumper/Fender and the bike then lifted the back wheel and this caused the front fairing to break the lugs on both the headlamp and the main beam headlamp and pushing the headlamp back into the fairing (thats the damage to the car's boot/Trunk lid).
The bike is going in to the BMW Main dealer in Albi (SW France) for its insurance assessement on Tuesday. I can't see any real damage to the main structure (I'm ignoring the cosmetics) but I am sure the Front wheel is further back than it was to the fairing but the forks etc all look straight with no bends visible. The bike tracks straight and rides perfectly....Any advice welcome so I can be prepared on Tuesday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020730 (2).jpg
Views:	1564
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	33235   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020731 (2).jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	33236   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020759.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	33237  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT Front Collision

The experts will no doubt chime in shortly. based on my limited knowledge and picture #3, I would say that the forks are tweaked at the triple tree at the least. In all likelihood the paralever mounting was damaged and the mainframe is bent. the plastic has to come off to see but you can look up under the front fairing where the fork tubes go and look at the front shock mounting and the paralever (looks like an A-arm on the front end of a cage and feel/look down each leg for any indication of damage. Also when you put weight on the front end, does it compress ans release freely (no noises or binding? Bottom line is the front wheel isn't normally that close to the radiator, something in there is damaged. Front end suspension parts can be replaced, the frame, that would be expensive and the best tech session Europe ever had. Good luck. Glad you and your wife are ok.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm

The front wheel is way too far back, so there is definitely some fork damage, and either the nose cone of the headlight assembly will need to be replaced if the mounting tabs are broken. While this is no minimal damage it is not something that would cause the bike to be totaled.
I am surprised you rode the bike afterward, and even more surprised the bike tracked and rode straight...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the early comments which have confirmed my thoughts, strangely some of you may say! I am still riding the bike and did a 400 mike ride today and completed the tour on the weekend of the collision so a total of about 750 mikes since the accident.

Bike is riding perfectly tracking true and suspension seems fine. I'm hoping that the dealer will repair the bike it's clearly an insurance repair given the comments so far and the fact that it's just had a 36k mike service in the UK which was very expensive!

I can't see any damage to the forks so I assume the closeness of the front wheel to the fairing does mean that there is a bend somewhere else.

He's anyone any experience of this type of accident and what the damage was to their bike or one they know about? I hit the car at about 20 to 30km fully loaded so it what a big thump!
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 8:21 pm

The forks have moved back because the front a-arm is bent back. BMW designed the arm with a creased bend that allows it to bend more in a front end collision. As this part bends it absorbs much of the force that would be transmitted to the frame. The dealers even have a special tool to check if the arm is deformed. Five years ago this part was $350. It takes a few special tools to remove the arm, after removing the gas tank. Figure 5-6 hours labor.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

I hope that's what it is iowalt .....because that would be absolutely brilliant! I've had the bike from new (6 years) and toured all over Europe and I want another 2 or 3 years more before I change it!

Which is the front A Arm the top or the bottom mount on the forks? It's really good having this information as the French dealers don't see many LT's so I will at least be prepared!
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Surpisingly, there my be NO fork damage.

I had a collision similer to this, with similar results. The wheel turned out to be tucked back like that because the nose end of the Telelver arm bent (as it is designed to do in a collision).

Only two parts that *needed* to be replaced were the Telelever arm and the ball joint between the Telelever and the forks.

Nonetheless, while I was in there, for belt-and-suspender reasons I also replaced the Telelever rear pivot bearings, and the plate between the two fork legs which holds the ball joint (by replacing the plate with the ball joint already installed, I avoided having to heat the old ball joint to get the locktite on its fine threads to let go -- a pita which sometimes results in the threads stripping out, no matter how careful you've been.

FWIW, I did the repairs myself, after figuring out how to rig up a bearing puller in place of the factory puller. There was a lot of stripping down of the bike to get down to the Telelever pivot bearings on the lower edge of the frame backbone, but otherwise it was straight-forward work.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:36 pm.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Sorry you went through this and I'm glad you and your wife are ok!

'06 1200 LT
'98 R1200C (squished by semi)
'07 Harley (sold)
'05 1200 LT (sold)
'98 Harley (sold)
'93 Harley (sold, would have given away)
'84 Honda (sold)
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 8:48 am

I'm just wondering why after a collision and the resulting obvious damage, why you continue riding the bike.....?

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Hi thanks all for the info, I have the bike booked in on Tuesday for the insurance assessment so the information on here is useful.

I continued using the bike until I realised there had been some damage because immediately after the accident I thought there was no structural damage. Apart from the short ride to the dealer on Tuesday I won't be using it until I have the all clear from BMW!
post #11 of 14 Old May 10th, 2012, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Hi all, thanks for your input last year, the LT is now fully repaired and in operation again. First full long ride last weekend and it was faultless. The repairs were over 5000 so the damage was extensive, the major replacement parts being the front forks, spring, damper, many trim parts, front a-arm, fronf headlights (both) front mudguard and loads of other things ;-) The bike is now perfect and alsmot back to the day I bought it in 2005. The repairs were done by MotoPlus in Albi, SW France a main BMW franchise. There were absolutely excellent. Once again thanks everyone!
post #12 of 14 Old May 10th, 2012, 1:59 pm

That is good news! Even better is the news that neither you or your bride were injured, other than your pride.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 14 Old May 10th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Ric

I am kind of surprised they insurance company made repairs to your LT instead of writing the bike off. I don't have an idea what an 05 LT is worth but it had to be a pretty close call for them. I am glad you and your LT survived and lived to ride another day. I noticed your last post on this issue was back in October 2011. Did it take that long to repair your bike?

Rick H.
post #14 of 14 Old May 21st, 2012, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Hi all...An LT is France is worth a lot more than I thought, after the repairs I got a Part ex quote....9500 for my LT....that was a big suprise and in France the insurance replacement cost is just that, replacement cost... not market price as in the UK...Whatever though I am very happy (albeit with a little hurt pride!!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in