Wiring Accessories - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Wiring Accessories

I bought an RCU shelf and was wondering, where is the best place to get power for accesories, namely the gps?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Re: Wiring Accessories

First thing I would recommend is to purchase a Centech AP1 Fuse Block. You can find this listed at many good motorcycle sites under electronics or lighting. It has 5 circuits that are fused. I think it has 2 circuits that would be on all the time and 3 that are hot when the bike (key) is on.

I have mine on my '99 LT and one side connects directly to the battery via hot and ground and then you have 10 connectors on the ground side and 10 on the hot side. Each fuse handles 2 circuits. The great thing about this is that it sits under the seat so if anything goes out I know I only have one place to look and that's the Centech box. The fuses are removable without removing the Centech cover, but the cover has to be removed to get to the lugs that hold the component you are wiring in. The cover keeps all the wires coming from the hot side and ground side separated. It's easy to work with and you'll find them anywhere from about $35 up to about $60.

I think I got mine from Whitehorse Gear sometime back. Really like this well built piece of work. I have a good many electrical extras on my bike and they all end up here in the fuse block so I don't have to try an remember if something had an inline fuse and it's up under the front of the bike or under the top box. I just raise the seat and take care of business. You know most times when something like a fuse blows you are out at night and it's misting rain. Never while you are home in the driveway.

Good luck on the install

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 12:51 am

Garage

I taped into the map light just under the RCU shelf and ran a cigarette lighter 12V receptacle onto the shelf. Has powered my nuvi for the last four years with no problem.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:32 am

I spent hours rummaging around the Mouser site for the connector I wanted so that I could use the map light.

I turns out it is called a piggy back push on connector.

The only ones I could find are crimp on. But, I discovered that I can push the plastic insulator of the connector, solder the wire to it, and then push the insulator back over the connector.

The piggy back has a female on one side. The female flat part has an extension with a 180 degree angle which results in a male connector.

I attached my GPS wire to the piggy back connector, stuck the map light female on to the male, and then plugged the female on to the light male.

If you are interested in the piggyback connector I can look up the Mouser part number for you.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piggy back 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	33243   Click image for larger version

Name:	piggy back 003.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	33244  

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 12:51 pm

My map light was blocked and not usable so it made a great place to get GPS power. However, having a Centech or equiv fuse block is mighty handy anyway for future gizmos. When I installed my fuse block I ran a couple of 'future' lines while I had the tupperware off. I can have both switched and direct power without messing with the original wiring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in