Lifting frame - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Question Lifting frame

Hey all;

In the middle of a clutch change on my 02 LT. May be silly question, But. When lifting the rear frame where does the front end pivot or does the front wheel roll back a little. If you have it tied down using the forks, is that ok. To me this is the scary part, the rest is just alot of nuts and bolts.
By the way thanks for all the help on this great website.

Zeke.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Lifting frame

I had mine in a Baxley chock. That was not the best choice as I had to watch the pivot point as I raised the frame. Just be careful and keep an eye on the lifting area as my jack would shift as it pivoted up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Don't know if this photo might help or not. You can see that I used straps from the motor mount up front to the lift. There's a piece of steel box tubing between the two rear and upper frame members that I used to jack the back up with. Then I used two more straps to hold that steady.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02324.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	33234  

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 6:06 pm
Super Moderator

When lifting the bike you have the front tied down - thus the bike will rotate around the front axle. I did both a clutch and rear engine seal this past spring here a few things to look out for:

1. I believe you need to take of the reverse switch attached to the transmission off - you need to study it very carefully to make sure you do not destroy it like I did. if you want pictures let me know I can send a few of the switch.

2. You will need to fab a piece of angle iron so you can torque the clutch without having the motor turn over - I can send you mine if you like.

3. You will need the special socket cut out and a 12mm allen wrench combination for several of the bolts on the swing arm - I can send you mine if you like.

4. You will need to support the engine separately upon reassembly and tilt it down to get everything back together - at least I did - this challenged me for a while.

5. Make sure before you put on all the tupperware you start the beast - take it for a ride and look for issues before final placing the plastic back on.

Use this article as refererence . . .

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...er%20Guide.pdf

You are correct this is a big bolting and screwing job!! Make sure you have an organized method of placing everything . . .

Good Luck!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Lifting frame

Thanks Dan.

Thais what I thought, just checking. Thanks for all the other info. Have had the swingarm off a few times, so all those tools I have. Have followed the book exactly to make sure everything is off. Already have the engine supported, just wanted to check all else before the lift. Ive had the tupperware off so many times, i can get her stripped in 30 minutes. Always start her up before they go back on. Dont ask how I know, those damn vacuum hoses. LOL

Thanks again.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Don't even try to remove the reverser switch. Just leave it on the tranny shaft and undo the electrical connector up on the frame. That way you don't risk the damage. It is just too easy to break it and it does not need to come off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in