2006 Centerstand, Bike Week, Accessories - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:58 am Thread Starter

2006 Centerstand, Bike Week, Accessories

Just took my 06 LT down to bike week in Daytona, first long ride since buying and made the trip with some die-hard Gold Wing riders. To start it off, I didn't even make the departure from our meeting point without my first problem - the electro-hydraulic centerstand would not retract into its normal position. So, after the "I told you" looks from the GW guys, I pulled it up manually and away we went. Then, on the second day my bike started leaking fluid, on GW guiy joked my air conditioning was leaking - as it turns out it was hydraulic fluid from the center stand - now it does not work at all. Anyone else experience this?

Second observation was that it was frustrating to tour all of the motorcycle shops and see virtuall no accessories for the BMW's. We all like to personalize our bikes and so while the GW guys had ample places to shop and buy, I was without much to chose from ! Frustrating!

On the flip side, the bike runs like a dream, and performed flawlessly short of the centerstand issue above. It handles awesome, purrs like a kitten, and was solid in handling and maneuvuring the highway and stop and go traffic alike.

I would like to add some highway pegs though so wondered if anyone out here has experience with any that are comfortable and have a clean install. Seems like it may be a "stretch" to get ones legs around the frame out to highway pegs, any feedback greatly appreciated. I am 6'2" so it is not like I do not have the reach but would like others opinions!

Now if we could just get more accesories out there by Kuryakin, etc.!

Thanks all - Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:00 am

Look at the Mick o pegs. Far more comfortable the the jpegs
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:08 am

Yeah, lack of accessories has always been a problem. Back in the early days of the Goldwing I mentioned this to the dealer I used at the time hoping to spark interest in carrying something besides rain suits and motor oil. I got a grumpy 'if you want a motor home go buy one, that's not what BMW's are about' as a reply. It has certainly got a lot better than the days of after market fairings and car stereos tywrapped to the handlebars but with the relatively small market share BMW holds I wouldn't expect to see catalogs full of chrome goodies like Harley and Goldwing riders get to brouse through. But then, that's not what BMW's are about :>)

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:13 am

Highway peg choices include Jpegs (regular and XL), Mick-o-pegs and Highway Ottomans. Lots of threads and photos on this site discussing all three of these products. Each has its proponents and opponents.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:18 am

I use the J-Pegs & I would strongly suggest the "Suburban Machine Drivers Peg Lowering Kit", & "Back Up" backrest. Hwy pegs are no good without a backrest.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Having problems with the centerstand is not common.. It will be covered under warranty and I'll bet you never have another problem with it...

Mine was not retracting all the way up so a couple of shots of WD-40 and it works like a charm............Regards Pete
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:14 am
Super Moderator

The centerstand problem has happened to a few people, including me. I thought they had addressed it in 05 but I guess there's still some bad ones in the warehouse. They replaced mine at the 600 mile service because it was puking fluid; I tihnk it failed on the rack during the service. The replacement has worked flawlessly since then (over a year).

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 8 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:32 am
kip

daytona

i too noticed a lack of stuff for the trusty beemer at Daytona

i was forced to look more at hineys and such in lieu of beemer parts....

actually tho.....there just isnt anything my LT needs cept to be on the road.....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in