Center Stand Procedure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Center Stand Procedure

Iím going to put my pride aside for a moment and ask if there is an easy procedure for lifting my 03 LT onto itsí center stand? Iíve only had the bike a few weeks but would really like to check my fluids which the book says to begin by putting it on the center stand.

Iím 5í9Ē and about 180lbs and always considered myself to be in pretty good shape but for the life of me I canít seem to get this darn thing up on that stand. Every time Iíve tried it feels as though the bike is going to go over on itsí right side so I give up. Come on guys, whatís the trick to doing this? Sorry to ask such a simple question but Iím getting nervous about having not checked any fluids in a month. I did use the search function here but didnít find anything relevant. Maybe I just need to swallow my pride some more and ask a friend for some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Re: Center Stand Procedure

I use a 6inch long piece of 2X4.

I put the 2x4 behind the rear tire and back on to it while sitting on my LT.

Just as the LT starts to back over the 2X4, I use my left foot to push down the center stand. As she goes onto the 2X4 she mounts herself onto the center stand.

Never been able to get her on the center stand manually.
Never been able to pick her up by pushing my back against her.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Wow. Here is something I do not understand. My --99 LT is *really* one of the lightest machines I have had to get on the center stand. In fact I have always wondered what is that powered stand needed for? It is not question of mass or power. Lifting the bike to center stand is matter of techniques. I did not scan this site for proper description of the needed techniques but there must be... If nobody comes up with relevant link, i will write a description of how to do it....

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by C-A-D; Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:24 pm.

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 2:40 pm

one of several threads...
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...t=center+stand
post #13

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Steve,

Check the link Mike posted, it will be very helpful.

One word of caution I would like to throw in. You said it starts going to the right? It should center up on the 2 feet with out going very far to one side or the other. These center stands have a bit of history for breaking at the crossbar welds. If that has happened, it will not stand up. Check it out closely to make sure it is intact . With the bike on the side stand, lay down on the floor on the right side and pull the center stand down as far as you can and inspect it. There are some threads on broken centerstand with photos.

Good luck,

Found it http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...erstand+broken

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Steve try this...it works for me.

Stand beside your bike. Right hand on saddle bags...left hand on handle bars. Start putting the center stand down. Lean it to your right (away from you) till you know that BOTH legs of the center stand are on the ground. Pull back with your left hand and put all your weight on the center stand. It will go right up....
If you only have one of the legs of the center stand on the ground, the bike of off balance and will not go up. Again, both legs of center stand must be on the ground.
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:25 pm

It can be a real lift when we've got the top case on, full up & loaded.

So here's what WE do......

My left hand on the left grip, right foot on the center stand pedal, push the pedal down firmly & hold it down, right hand goes on the side case grab handle.

My wife grabs the right side case handle and we lift up & back. The bike pops right up.
Sometimes even rocks backward. (never scary though)

Keeping downward pressure on the center stand pedal, before you start centers the bike up,
keeps her level. Maybe that feels weird to you if you're used to using the side stand only.

Rand.
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 4:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I know I read this on one of the threads here but cant find it so I'll try to regurgitate it ...

With the bike on the side stand in gear stand next to the left side of the bike, place your right hand on the lift assist handle next to the drivers seat, and your left hand on the handle bar

Push down with your right foot on the center stand tilting the bike to the right so both of the center stand feet are in contact with the ground.

Bend your right leg at the knee slightly still holding it on the center stand

Pull in the clutch as you Pull back on the handle bar while straightinig up on your right foot which is pushing down on the center stand at the same time your left foot comes off the ground shifting all of your weight to the right foot. (Think like your kicking your right foot into the ground)

The bike will come right up. This always works for me but I notice I need to be wearing a pair of shoes with a solid sole, Tennis shoes or sandals just won't work, work or bike boots do the trick. (...and no I don't ride in sandals.. but I did try to move the bike around while working on it wearing them and placing it back on the center stand was a nogo )

-Preston

-Preston
Ď02 K1200 LTC | í94 K75 RT | '02 R1150 GS

post #9 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 5:02 pm

First put it on the side stand.

Stand her up straight and use your foot to push down/lower the center stand. Rock it side to side a little to be sure both legs are making contact with the ground.

Now step down on the center stand briskly as you pull up on the handle. Works best on firm level ground like asphalt.

Once you get that down, try riding straight off of the center stand. Works best if it is aimed slightly down hill. Start her up and be read to go, in 1st gear. Lean back so the rear tire contact the ground, lean forward suddenly and as she comes off of the center stand, let the clutch out and you are on your way. Plan it out so you don't go shooting into traffic or the side of someones car.

B D R
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Ron Miller had a thread/post some time ago about getting the LT on the centerstand. Seems like an ergonomics expert told him to step on the lever with his LEFT foot while facing the top case. Prevents you from wrenching your back, which I believe was the problem Ron was having. Standing on the lever with the right foot, the bike goes past you and you have to twist to keep up with it. That can cause back injury.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:43 pm

I have the same problem but solved it by driving the bike up 2 pices of 3/4 inch plywood, one under each tire. Now put it up on the stand...its easy since the bike is higher and needs less leaverage on the stand pivot.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 5:21 am Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It seems that getting this thing on the center stand is sort of like weight lifting. Technique is sometimes more important then strength. I guess Iíll need to work on my technique because my strength isnít going to improve at my age. Finally Iíll be able to check my oil.
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 5:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Ron Miller had a thread/post some time ago about getting the LT on the centerstand. Seems like an ergonomics expert told him to step on the lever with his LEFT foot while facing the top case. Prevents you from wrenching your back, which I believe was the problem Ron was having. Standing on the lever with the right foot, the bike goes past you and you have to twist to keep up with it. That can cause back injury.
+1 Ron's advice helped me a lot with this one. Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated. DAMHIK

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated. DAMHIK
Yeah! That always helps!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #15 of 24 Old Oct 14th, 2011, 11:53 pm

I park my '02 with the front wheel on a 3/4 inch thick board.
The center stand trick is easy! I have no idea what to do
when one of the tires is flat.
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

I would just add to use the left bag handle not the lift assist handle under the seat. Make sure left bag is closed and latched. This will save your back. Also pull the clutch in or have it in neutral for the lift. Once you get it figured out it's pretty easy to put up on the center stand.

That being said I try to position the bike before the lift so if it did fall it wouldn't hit anything except the ground. The windshield could take a pretty good hit and cause a lot of damage if it fell against something.
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:47 am

I just came home from a ride out I couldn't answer you before because I didn't even know how I do it.
Set the Bike in Place on the Side stand. Get off push the bike in upright position step with your right foot on the arm of the center stand, left hand on handle bar right hand on the grab rail under the seat, level the bike out on the Center stand, pull on the rail and step with your full body weight on the center stand arm. Quite easy have only 170 lb my self on body weight.
Should work on you also.

Manfred
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 9:06 am

the scary part was the feeling getting of the bike to the point where both feet of the center stand touch the ground. for the first few times i had someone as a safety on the right side.they never actualy had to help but was handy till i got the feel.also haveing proper boots on makes a diffrence.i notice just moveing it around the shop in running shoes it is alot harder to pop it up.the stand lever is quite long kind of jump on it while pulling the handel. if you have someone there pratice it several times.it took about a dozen times to get used to the feeling.( p.s. on level ground if the ground slopes away from you it can & will go over.)
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 9:48 am

Biggest thing is make sure both center stand feet are on ground. This thing is very easy to put on center stand compared to many bikes i have had. On my Concours I mustget bike rolling backwards a few inches before I step on center stand and lift HARD.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a 295 LBS. hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar on my bike, so I don't put it on the center stand very often. I have to stand on the center stand on my right foot , right hand on side case grab handle, & left hand on handle bar. I then lean my body as far to the front of the bike as I can , & extend my left leg out as far as I can too. I then jerk back pulling my left leg back as I do, & pulling on the bar & the grab handle with all I got... Sometimes it takes a few tries , But when I get all my 15 stone moving & pulling at the right time, I can get it up.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #21 of 24 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 7:27 pm

The problem is spring sag. Stock springs have poor temper and will sag which reduces chassis height. Jack up your preload all the way and that may help. The 2 X 4 under the rear tire will do it.I solved my problem with ohlins shocks and new springs. I raised my ride height and the center stand is now a piece of cake.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 7:12 pm

My 03 was so dastardly even the guys at the Dealership couldn't make her budge. Took her home and lubed the joints on the center stand (WD40). Pops right up now. Until you get the knack park close to something on the right so it can't fall far , like a wall (not mommas car) Or have a friend spot you.
post #23 of 24 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Hi,
One thing I will mention that I do is to open the seat up so I can get hold of the assist handle properly. Do all of the other things mentioned and the bike will come up easily.
I am only 5ft 9inches tall and weigh just under 170lbs and am 70 year old and I can now do it easily.
Trouble with using pannier grab handle is you are not then standing in the correct angle and it makes the lift harder.
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2011, 9:01 am

Center stand? That's EASY. Do what I do:

1. Park on side stand and dismount
2. straighten front wheel, keep bike in gear
3. Left hand on clutch handle/grip, right hand on rear saddlebag handle
4. Pull in clutch to allow rollback
5. Release clutch
6. Have servants put your bike on its centerstand

Always works

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in