Backfiring on decel with Remus - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:33 am Thread Starter

Backfiring on decel with Remus

I recently replaced the OEM exhaust on my 2003 LT with 60K with a Remus Street Can due to the fact that the OEM had a hole that had rusted thru. I also inserted the pipe in the end to cut down on the drone. When I ride the twisties I always stay in low gear with high RPMs to take advantage of engine braking. Now I get a lot of popping and an occasional backfire when doing that. I changed to premium grade fuel and was considering a RhineWest chip thinking that would solve my problems. After doing a bit of searching on the forum it appears that the RhineWest chip won't really cure my issue. I don't mind spending the money if it will cure my issue but don't want to spend the money if I still have the issue. Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 10:17 am

Re: Backfiring on decel with Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayGee
I recently replaced the OEM exhaust on my 2003 LT with 60K with a Remus Street Can due to the fact that the OEM had a hole that had rusted thru. I also inserted the pipe in the end to cut down on the drone. When I ride the twisties I always stay in low gear with high RPMs to take advantage of engine braking. Now I get a lot of popping and an occasional backfire when doing that. I changed to premium grade fuel and was considering a RhineWest chip thinking that would solve my problems. After doing a bit of searching on the forum it appears that the RhineWest chip won't really cure my issue. I don't mind spending the money if it will cure my issue but don't want to spend the money if I still have the issue. Any other ideas?
Just a thought Keith but it sounds like your mixture has gone lean when was the last time the O2 sensor was changed?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Just a thought Keith but it sounds like your mixture has gone lean when was the last time the O2 sensor was changed?

Are you refering to part #1?

Lambda Monitor sensor L=580MM 1 11781742051 $261.07

Last edited by KayGee; Oct 11th, 2011 at 11:30 am.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 11:29 am

I don't know, I've got a 2000 with a remus and it backfires. Before and after a new o2 sensor...

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartross
I don't know, I've got a 2000 with a remus and it backfires. Before and after a new o2 sensor...
+1... Well, she used to anyway... *sniff*sniff*

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:22 pm

My 99 with Remus and the chip does the same thing. Agree that it could be the O2 sensor.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 5:07 pm

My '03 does that too with the Remus pipe.

You have an exhaust leak somewhere, probably where the muffler slips on the intermediate pipe.

B D R
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:20 am

My '03, with remus complete exhaust system, sometimes backfires, sometimes not.
On its third o2 sensor with no change.............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have both the chip & exhaust on my '01 and it's a matter of how rapid the decel is, air temp etc. some times I get backfire, mostly not although I'm more gentle on the throttle let off except for urgent situations.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:17 am

O2 sensor will cause it to run richer when it fails, gas mileage will really go bad, I know on the K100's when the throttle was fully closed the fuel injection was shut off until RPMs went below 1500, may be different with motronic, a more open exhaust on anything will usually result in snapping and cracking, less back pressure

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I have a 2000 with exhaust and chip and get some backfires as well. Much like BennyBob. Depends on the day, but I notice it normally happens when I downshift into a turn and hit high rpms with a big release of the throttle at the same time.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in