Cannisterectomy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:14 am Thread Starter

Cannisterectomy

Recently performed the cannisterectomy on my 2004, k1200 LT. The directions were perfect (thanks). It has been about a month now, and the fuel gauge continues to read 3/4 full when refueling (kick stand down, leaning left). At the low fuel light engagement, refueling takes 4 gallons. Any suggestions ? Or should I just give it more time for the fuel tank to adjust from the vacuum caused by the canister clog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:27 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Cannisterectomy

Sounds like you have a bent fuel sending unit tube. When the canister clogs it causes the tank to collapse in on the tube bending it. Some have been able to remove the unit , pull it apart & fix the tube from the inside. You can also just pick up a good USED ONE HERE

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 12:35 pm

I had my fuel gauge sending tube get bent from the fuel nozzle, I did the canisterectomy anyway, and pulled the sending unit to straigten it out. I had seen photos of someone straightening out the tube with the guts pulled out of it. I couldn't figure out how to get the float and stuff out of the tube. Luckily the tube was pretty soft, and I was able to straighten it out sufficiently by pushing on the outside of the tube and working it back to round. How do you get the stuff out of the tube?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkmark
Recently performed the cannisterectomy on my 2004, k1200 LT. The directions were perfect (thanks). It has been about a month now, and the fuel gauge continues to read 3/4 full when refueling (kick stand down, leaning left). At the low fuel light engagement, refueling takes 4 gallons. Any suggestions ? Or should I just give it more time for the fuel tank to adjust from the vacuum caused by the canister clog?
Anthony,

If you pull your fuel sending unit....float tube.....and it's bent, it's relatively easy to straighten, but there are some not obvious tricks involved, including how to extract the float assembly from the tube housing. It's held in place by a crimped collar that I had to sharpen a long screwdriver to straighten, then re-crimped for reassembly once the repair was done.. I was lucky in that a wooden handle for a post hole digger I have was the right diameter to slide the bent tube over and use as a mandrel for pounding out the dent using a plastic mallet.

If you get the float assembly removed and on a bench,m and it "is" dented from the vacuum syndrome, and can't figure it how to fix it, send me a note and we'll arrange to talk a bit on the phone. If yours is reparable and not something you're comfortable trying to fix, we can talk off list about sending it to me. If it is reparable, I'd be happy to help. It took me an hour to figure out the tricks to fixing mine and 15 minutes to actually do the repair.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in