Replacement Handgrips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Replacement Handgrips

One of my handgrips is falling apart. I saw on line where Clark BMX Bike Grips fit perfectly but everything is overseas. Anyone know of a stateside distributor or another grip that will fit. I do not want to pay BMW to replace everything which seems to be there fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Re: Replacement Handgrips

Some have used tennis racket tape and re-wrapped them. Lots use Grip Puppies, I do. But the slickest I've seen is Kurikan (not spelled right), that a few have put on theirs. But not cheap.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Garage

search the archives. I replaced mine with Küryakyn grips. There are also "grip puppies" If you order the replacement (non heated) left grip its cheaper. Remove the plastic inner and use it however you wish..

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:39 pm

I use the Kuriyakin's as pictured before and love them. Better grip and more comfortable and the heat comes through just fine. Be sure to know your diameter before purchase.
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm
Super Moderator

If you want to stay with stock BMW grips and save a few $$$ read on . . .

Last time I needed to replace my grips that were worn out I bought two left hand non
heated grips from BMW they were $17 at the time - so that was a few years ago!
Part now is $24.25 and some dealers knock off 12% . . .

Once I received them I pulled the grips off the handles - carefully cut the grips off my
existing heated handles and then slipped the new grips back on the original handles.
The left one is a little shorter that the right one but if you tug and pull it is not noticable.

See pict below!!

This idea came from a previous poster and I am passing it on . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:22 am.
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 5:58 am

I also used the BMW unheated grips. The important thing to remember is"cut carefully" as you don't want to hurt the heated part of your old grip. Wasn't hard though and I've had them on for 3 years now and they keep my hands nice and warm.
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I "third" the nomination of using the BMW not-heated replacements.

Easy fix.
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 3:35 pm

What size do you buy. I understand they come in 1" and 7/8"

Thanks
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Garage

Cut and paste from Here.... ....

Re: Installing the Kuryakyn ISO grips on the LT:

First, you have to special order a set of #6240 1" universal grips, BUT with 2 right hand grips! I ordered them straight from Kuryakyn, but first time they sent mt two LEFT hand grips instead. The left hand grips are 1" inside diameter, the right ones 1 1/8". You have to have two 1 1/8" grips.

Next, CAREFULLY cut off the stock rubber grips, being careful not to nick the heater wires. This can be done on the bike, you do not have to remove the grips.

Then, use 1 1/2" heat shrink tubing, and shrink it onto the heater sleeves starting at the inside and working out, being careful to heat it evenly around the bar to get a good even and tight shrink. I learned from my installation though, put a little smear of some type of adhesive down the length of the heater sleeve for the heat shrink to adhere to. I did not do this, and because my throttle was hard to turn, it would slip back and forth a few degrees after installation. I ended up drilling and pinning mine with a piece of 1/8" diameter stainless steel.

The left grip will need two half circles filed or "Dremeled" in the metal sleeve to clear the attachment screws that hold the assembly to the handlebar, or else they will be PERMANENT!

You will also have to Dremel away the "outside" portion of the plastic flanges on the inside ends of the heater sleeves. Let's try this again: The flanges are too thick, and will stop the grips from being pushed far enough to close the gap between the ends of the grips and the control housings. You will be removing the half of the flange toward the bar end. Leave about half the original flange thickness. On the left one, leave the squares around the mounting screws. This allows the rubber inserts of the grips to be pushed all the way up to near the switch housings on the bars.

On the left grip, remove the grip's rubber inserts and cut out small square sections to clear the square sections of the heater sleeves where the mounting screws are.

Check fits and be sure grips can be pushed up the way you want them.

Wrap one thickness of Scotch 33 electrical tape on top of the heat shrink tubing if needed to get a snug push fit of the grips over the sleeves.

Cover the bike with plastic in case any glue drips (it will).

Put a liberal amount of the supplied glue around the end of the handlebar sleeve, and on the inside of the grip. Be sure you have the grip positioned the way you want it, and push it on with a smooth motion, not stopping untill it is where you want it. Once the glue sets (it is like Krazy Glue, and sets pretty quickly), you will not be able to re-position it.

the grips come with pieces of "spacer" material which is used in most installations to stop the grip at the right position when pushing them on with the glue in place. I did not think it necessary, as the rubber inserts stop against the flanges on the heater sleeves. After I installed them, I was afraid that not using the spacer material would allow the rubber inserts to be pushed down at the ends of the bars, because the bars are shorter than the inside of the grips. Thankfully, this was not the case.
If I was to do this again, I would cut the spacers to size as the instructions say and use them.

Sounds a little troublesome, but if you take your time getting everything just the way you want it before the glueing process, all will be well. Once you start the glueing though, there is no going back!

After I installed them and rode with them for a couple of days, I thought that I would miss the throttle rocker that I use on long trips when the cruise control cannot be used. Kuryakyn makes a metal "throttle boss" that is clamped on the end under the end cap. I purchased this and installed it, seen in the pictures I posted earlier. works great.

A little trouble to go too, but I am glad I installed them. I have wanted larger diameter grips since I got the bike, and I like these even better than the "cruiser" grips on some LTs.

David Shealey
'01 black LTC "BAT BYKE"
San Diego

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I checked on the non-heated BMW grips but somehow they didn't excite me 50 bucks worth. Went to a local dealer and got some grey Renthal mx grips. The left was a tight fit but some soapy spray cleaner stuff helped them right on. Fairly nice as they are but grip puppies in the mail to go over them anyway. The only thing I have to live with is the gap between the grip and the Master Cylinder but I think I'll get over it.
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I "forth" the nomination of using the BMW not-heated replacements. But the price of them has sure gone up

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 19 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Here is the site I found where a guy used BMX bicycle grips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsiRex5gasQ
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 5:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3BUD
Here is the site I found where a guy used BMX bicycle grips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsiRex5gasQ
Doesn't look too shabby. Price is right.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
I bought two left hand non
heated grips . . .
Silly question time, why 2 lefts instead of a left and right? I think I will try this before going with the big-bucks heated grip replacement. I just wish the diameter of the grips were larger like my R1200C.
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2012, 2:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The "left" non-heated grip has the correct diameter to fit over the existing heater elements. The "right" non-heated grip also contains a plastic throttle tube, which makes it cost more. Since you don't need this throttle tube, you can get away with two plain "left" grips and save a few $$.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2012, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
search the archives. I replaced mine with Küryakyn grips. There are also "grip puppies" If you order the replacement (non heated) left grip its cheaper. Remove the plastic inner and use it however you wish..

When it's hot do your Kuryakyn grips get any warmer than the stock bmw grips get. Whit all that metal it appears they would.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
If you want to stay with stock BMW grips

This idea came from a previous poster and I am passing it on . . .

Right on Dan

I did this a few weeks ago, worked great.
The only thing different is in step 7, I used a Liberal amount of contact cement on them to avoid them moving when warm... instead of spit...

http://rhhall.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...33492_zLJVps/1

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #18 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 11:36 am

I just replaced mine with Progrip 719's. Worked fine on my '99, no damage to the heaters.

Note that the 719 grips are open end, not closed end. I installed bar-end fillers just for the look.
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 24th, 2012, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve
When it's hot do your Kuryakyn grips get any warmer than the stock bmw grips get. Whit all that metal it appears they would.

Just the contrary...they are not hot at all. it seems more air goes through them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in