what protectant to use on the seats? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

what protectant to use on the seats?

Are our seats leather? And how do I take care of them? And the soft padding around the rear speakers? Are they leather to? Dont feel like it to me.

What about the plastic? Normally I wash it down with soapy water like any bike. But what if I just want to remove bugs form the windshield and faring between washes? Is windex ok to use?

My bike is a 08 LT if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Re: what protectant to use on the seats?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...,+16+ounces.do

Freaking awesome stuff doesn't leave the leather all slick

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

If you have a stock seat it is NOT leather.
NEVER use Windex on the windshield. Warm Soapy water is the best to clean all of the bike.
DO NOT use High pressure water on the Radio or dash / speaker area
After it is clean you can polish the plastic.
I like to use S100 on the windshield & the front of the bike. It makes cleaning off the bugs easier.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I find that "Protect-All" works great on the vinyl all over the bike...seats, knee pads, and speaker housings. You can get it WalMart in the auto section usually near the RV items.

http://www.protectall.com/

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:49 pm

To keep the vinyl soft and supple, never use anything harsh ( windex may have ammonia), do use a UV protectant as sun can do more damage than anything else. Many products on the market.
+ 1 for water and soap only for the windscreen. For dried bugs-just lay the wet rag for a few minutes, than wipe.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
To keep the vinyl soft and supple, never use anything harsh ( windex may have ammonia), do use a UV protectant as sun can do more damage than anything else. Many products on the market.
+ 1 for water and soap only for the windscreen. For dried bugs-just lay the wet rag for a few minutes, than wipe.
And wipe down when dry with a microfiber cloth saturated in isopropyl alcohol.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Garage

I remember back in The Day when I applied a liberal amount of Armor-All to the relatively flat seat of my Norton Commando 850. Made it nice and shiney!

Caught 2nd gear and the fat part of the torque curve before I realized that I was just about lying flat over the seat as the bike rocketed out from under my crotch

It's been Soap and Water on my seats from that point on...
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
I remember back in The Day when I applied a liberal amount of Armor-All to the relatively flat seat of my Norton Commando 850. Made it nice and shiney!

Caught 2nd gear and the fat part of the torque curve before I realized that I was just about lying flat over the seat as the bike rocketed out from under my crotch

It's been Soap and Water on my seats from that point on...
Awesome! Did the same thing when I was a teen with my YZ125 - caught air on a jump and looked like Superman laying across my seat holding on for dear life! That's why I use a nice vehicle soap and warm water.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 5:05 am

Many years ago I had a GoldWing Executive and started going to the GoldWing rallies. After going to a few there was one particular outfit, a 1200 Interstate and Hedingham Child/Adult, which all stood out due to its permanent shine. Upon asking the owner how he did it, come rain or shine, he told me the trick is regular furniture polish which has a silicon / beeswax base. The advantage to this kind of product is that it can be used everywhere on the bike without any issues at all and it even helps to keep the windscreen clear in the rain. I have used it since only ever occasionally applying 'car polish' when there is a difficult area to be polished. Househoud furiture polish is a cheap and effective solution, personally I use the hand pump variety as you can get refills as opposed to the aerosol types.

1999 BMW K1200LT "Galatea"
1976 MERCEDES-BENZ 280S "Lady Genevieve"
1993 MERCEDES-BENZ S320 "Lady Audrey"
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 5:18 am

I've never treated the vinyl on the seats of my 2000 other than the annual soapy water wash.

Some vinyl protectants (amorall, sunofagun) can make the seat really slippery, but might be good occasionally if the bike is parked outdoors. YMMV.

For the windshield and tupperware: dishwashing liquid and warm water for bugs when at home.
Pledge furniture polish with a terry cloth towel when on the road.
Plexus works well too but the stuff is 'spensive and Pledge works well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in