Went down yesterday - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Went down yesterday

Gretchen and I took a Sunday ride yesterday and when we got close to home, I pulled in for gas. After filling up, we left the pumps and headed toward the exit, a pickup truck started to back out in front of us and I had to brake pretty hard to keep from T boning him. Down we went, it started to go and I couldn't hold it with both of us aboard. We both fell off the right side. Gretchen landed on her knees and I on my right elbow. We are OK, she is a little stiff and I have a sore foot (don't know why).

The LT is scuffed a little, the mirror is scraped, the Darius foot board is broken, and the chrome strip on the side case is scuffed. We drew quite a crowd at the gas station and lots of offers to help get the bike upright and checking our condition which was nice. The guy in the pickup stopped, ran over to see if we were OK but never said sorry or anything like that.

When we got home, I told Gretchen that we would not ride 2 up anymore. I am 68, she is 72 and we are just not as agile as we should be. I have to admit that I am always extremely tense when we are 2 up and although she loves to ride with me, I think it is best to quit. I don't ride long distances anymore and am going to sell the LT. I can still have lots of fun solo on my Triumph which is much better suited for the kind of riding that I now do. Short trips to town to have coffee with a bunch of old farts and to the store.

I am in the process of connecting a sidecar to the Triumph and hopefully Gretchen will ride in it, she says not, but the dog will go anytime.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Re: Went down yesterday

I'm sorry this happened to you. It's scary, especially with your bride on back. Maybe this was just an unfortunate accident and it's not time yet to go solo. I guess I just wanted you to know that other's have felt that helpless/guilty feeling. This is a good place to share that.Take care.

'06 1200 LT
'98 R1200C (squished by semi)
'07 Harley (sold)
'05 1200 LT (sold)
'98 Harley (sold)
'93 Harley (sold, would have given away)
'84 Honda (sold)
post #3 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your escapade.
This is exactly why I attached a Hannigan sidecar to my lt. At 72, riding is a bit of a chore with a heavy bike like these are, besides that, the rig is a whole lot more visible to others on the road.
Best of luck to you both.
Les

post #4 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 3:40 pm

My heart goes out to you and your wife and I'm glad to hear that neither of you were seriously injured. I understand the concern about having your wife on board and it's something I think about it EVERY time my wife is behind me.
Nick

2002 K1200LTC
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert (project bike)

Newton might have figured out gravity a lot sooner if he’d ridden a K1200LT
post #5 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 3:48 pm

OK Bill, Calm down, Step away from the LT..

There's not a reason you can't ride two up on a lighter bike..

I got rid of my LT because it was just too much almost all the time...

When we go on the Rt it's not an issue at all...

Perhaps your wife would like a Spyder.. My wife loves hers and rides solo now...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Sorry to hear you went down. I'm only guessing that even a younger man would have gone down in the same circumstance, so don't go beatin' yourself up.
I was going to suggest the same as John - a Spyder. Last year when my legs both went numb, first thought was my bikes, and decided I'd get one. Got feeling back, so never had to decide. Day's comin' though
post #7 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 4:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bill, so sorry to hear of your mishap, but glad everyone is alright with just some bruises. Agree with previous posters that your age had nothing to do with what happened and I suspect the result would have been the same for any of us.

I love my LT, but have started considering whether a lighter bike would be more fun overall. My SO and I love riding with her on pillion, but we really don't do as many longer trips as we used to do. Haven't made a decision yet, but starting to think an RT might fit my current needs and riding style.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Super Moderator

Takes a smart man to recognize when it is time to move on for whatever the reasons -
glad to see your turning point was uneventful. And it sounds like you have a scaled down risk plan!!

Hope I am as fortunate as you when my time comes . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Wheeew!

Glad to see you both are OK.

Those funny lookin three wheel things look like fun.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Glad you and Gretchen are fine. Have fun, no matter what your safer hobby may be!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Sorry to hear about this, glad you are both OK. Best of luck and enjoy whatever your new passion might be.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Wow Bill, so sorry to hear this. I hope you two recover quickly. I actually just gave up a lighter bike (F800ST) for my LT so my wifey can go along. But, I do wish I would have kept the F8 for shorter one-up riding! Instead of a trike, have you considered a lighter bike? Of course, after the LT, what do you do for comfort!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #13 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Aw crap Bill! As mentioned earlier the same thing would likely have happened to us younger fellers. These big scooters are anything but light but they sure are fun to ride. Bottom line is you have to be comfortable with what your chariot. If the Triumph is the answer then it's a good choice and a lot of fun to boot!

Be safe out there!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 7:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all for the replies and kind wishes. Just a few comments to put things in perspective: I worked my way up to the LT from smaller bikes over the years, the last bike was an RT which I rode for a long time and on average put many many more miles on than I do on the LT. My bride tried riding pillion on the RT and said "No Thanks". Size does matter . I know age isn't a real big factor, but physical condition is and although I am in pretty good shape, I do not have the strength and agility that I used to. Gretchen is not in the best shape and I am just not going to put her at risk.

We sat on a Can AM and didn't really care for it, same for a trike but never rode either so I cannot be very objective. I made the decision some time back to try a sidecar and after a lot of research and help and advice from others, (particularly Loren), I decided not to connect it to the LT, it just didn't look like a good match. So I thought of getting a different tug and spotted the Triumph. I am about 50% complete on the installation and looking forward to trying that. If that doesn't work out, we will try something else, except I WILL NOT, get a horse .

Thanks again all,

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #15 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 11:38 am

I too am glad you are both OK. Maybe a ride like this?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcd/2614749163.html
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Sorry about your acciddent. Thank god you two are ok. Don`t feel bad about the misshapp. Even a younger person would go down on that situation. I must say there is nothing like the way this bikes love curves and feel on the road, think hard before any changes PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 4:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
We sat on a Can AM and didn't really care for it, same for a trike but never rode either so I cannot be very objective. I made the decision some time back to try a sidecar and after a lot of research and help and advice from others, (particularly Loren), I decided not to connect it to the LT, it just didn't look like a good match.
Bill,

A few random comments to various things noted in your post. I've owned one sidecar rig and am putting another together. I participate in an on line sidecar community, the Internet Sidecar Owners Klub, which is a yahoo group administered by Claude Stanley, a true genius in sidecaring. If you've not discovered them yet, check them out at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/, and if you wish, sign up for their on line email discussion group. There are a number old hands at assembling sidecar rigs there who are very generous with advice, as well as numerous owners of about any bike-car combination you can imagine. They're a wealth of knowledge on rigging and operating sidecars.

I'm currently assembling my rig using a GL1500 Wing because a) I got the Wing rather cheap and b) it doesn't require a subframe like the LT does. However, the LT does make an excellent chair hauler and numerous examples of superb rigs are out there. If my budget allowed for my rig to be professionally assembled, I'd build it around the LT. But the fun of any properly rigged sidecar is worth the effort, what ever the bike and car chosen. I hope you get your Triumph based unit together successfully and have a blast with it.

I have one friend, an older female experienced rider, who developed orthopedic issues that made it painful to support a two wheeled bike at stop signs. She bought a nice, used LT, had Hannigan do their trike conversion, and loves the resulting rig. Pricey, but quality workmanship indeed. LT based Hannigan trikes (and sidecars) are really quality setups. But they are not cheap.

I've ridden a standard CAN-AM Spyder. It's a well engineered unit but the riding position isn't comfortable for everyone. The newer touring version has a much more comfortable riding position for the operator and passenger. But the unit is somewhat expensive.

You're certainly not alone in needing to move away from a heavier two wheeled bike. LT's are fantastic motorcycles, but none of us can change the laws of physics, and as we all inevitably grow a bit older, gravity and age do what they do.

Good luck!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #18 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 5:37 am

Bill, I hope you don't leave us. I've enjoyed reading your posts.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #19 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Thanks Denny, I am not planning on leaving and I am not in a big rush to get rid of the LT. Just sticking with my decision to not ride 2 up anymore. I am kinda like John Spen though, the LT is just too much most of the time.

Jeff, thanks for the comments. I have talked to Claude Stanley and he was very helpful. As for Trikes, Can Ams, and Hannigan installations of side cars, that is just not in the budget. I got a great deal on the Triumph and the hack installation is pretty straight forward. I am looking forward to getting it all together.

BTW, Gretchen and I are driving the cage up to your FEST Saturday, see you then.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)

Last edited by Boatzo; Oct 12th, 2011 at 7:53 am.
post #20 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Jeff, thanks for the comments. I have talked to Claude Stanley and he was very helpful. As for Trikes, Can Ams, and Hannigan installations of side cars, that is just not in the budget. I got a great deal on the Triumph and the hack installation is pretty straight forward. I am looking forward to getting it all together.

BTW, Gretchen and I are driving the cage up to your FEST Saturday, see you then.
Bill,

I'm doing the same as you....putting together a rig that I can afford. I got a '92 high mileage GL1500 for really cheap and got a Friendship III with Wing mounts for a fair price. I'm just waiting for the time to assemble the rig. I will splurge the roughly $1k for an EZ Steer triple tree when it's time. If budget weren't an issue I'd have Claude put my FIII car on my LT. Maybe someday.

Sounds like the weather's gonna be fine for Morton's Open House on Saturday...cooler but with the rain gone. I'm usually crazy busy that day....but please say "hi". Melissa Holbrook, author of The Perfect Vehicle...What it is About Motorcycles, and more recently, The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing, which is about the really exceptional LD riders, including John Ryan, will have a seminar. John will be here as well. I've known him for a long time and he's both crazy and a legend in the LD community. Should be a fun day.

Take care....

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #21 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 9:39 am

Hi Bill - Before I bought my sidecar rig I read a lot online about piloting them, there are no sidecar instruction courses available where I live, cornering was quite an eye opener, the rig has different dangers turning left than turning right. My wife is disabled with arthritis and has been the "brains" behind the driver for years so she can still do that altho she cannot sucker punch me in the kidneys anymore instead I have bruises on my right leg. It is nice to have both a solo bike and a bike with sidecar.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #22 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Interesting thing about living in WA is that they require a trike/sidecar endorsement. They have a study book that outlines some of the differences in the handling of a sidecar rig. There is a written test and a skills test including riding through pylons etc. Easy but it does make you think. I would gladly mail a copy out if anyone is interested.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
Hi Bill - Before I bought my sidecar rig I read a lot online about piloting them, there are no sidecar instruction courses available where I live, cornering was quite an eye opener, the rig has different dangers turning left than turning right. My wife is disabled with arthritis and has been the "brains" behind the driver for years so she can still do that altho she cannot sucker punch me in the kidneys anymore instead I have bruises on my right leg. It is nice to have both a solo bike and a bike with sidecar.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #23 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Hey Loren,

I have read several publications on the sidecar.com forum that are available. Some interesting stuff. The experienced riders also advocate lots of cautious practice and ballast in the hack, which I intend to do.

BTW for anyone interested, I have been working with a great guy named Gary Greene [email protected]. He has been very helpful and is extremely reasonable on his prices for connection hardware and fittings. FWIW

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #24 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Left turns are noooooo problem, just gas it and go! Right turns, not so much. I have lifted the SC 2 or 3 times just fooling around and didn't find the feeling too appealing! You pretty much have to try to get it to fly. Or get got by surprise I imagine.

I have never ballasted my Hannigan as it is huge and heavy to boot. The listed weight is 300 lbs but not sure if that includes the disc brake option which is heavy and way out there on the moment arm thing.

I sure do wish the best for both you and Gretchen and I certainly understand the LT thing. They are a heavy and tall ride.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #25 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:23 pm

+1 on a trike. Check out a "Tiltster" at www.mysterydesigns.com. It's mostly Harley but in their gallery they had a Gold Wing so they must do shaft-drive. The tiltster leans into a curve like a bike. I wish I had triked my '05 LT.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #26 of 26 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Good to hear you and your partner are OK. Hard to think about getting launched off that rear perch onto the hard deck. Thank God! there wasn't a car behind you with the driver texting. I've come close to the point of pulling muscles, a lot of weight up top with 2 up and full luggage.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in