Cee Bailey #2 "Whisper Flow" screen - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Talking Cee Bailey #2 "Whisper Flow" screen

Just installed a Cee Bailey #2 "Whisper Flow" (22") windscreen this weekend on my 2005 LT. So far, at least, I like it.

I'm 6'3" with a 32" inseam, meaning I'm long in the upper body so sit high on the bike. My bike came with the 17" Euro screen, so highway speeds were pretty miserable after the first 50 miles or so.

I mounted the CB screen, then took the LT out for a test ride. The difference was like night and day. Very smooth, with only a very little buffetting when I sat straight up in the seat. I briefly kicked it up to 90MPH once or thrice to check for "flapping" and vibration, but the screen was steady with no visible movement.

The wind was calm and there was very little traffic, so I can't comment on how the Whisper Flow performs with "dirty air" yet. If I get time and we get any dry days this week the wife and I will see how things go two-up.

My only negative comment is that the screen is on the ugly side. It's a bit like "raising the blast shield", but if I'd wanted style over function I would have done something else.

My .02, adjust for your local currency as appropriate.
--jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Re: Cee Bailey #2 "Whisper Flow" screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy
It's a bit like "raising the blast shield"
--jim
Love it! Do you have a picture? I think I saw one at the falling leaf rally this last weekend.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
Love it! Do you have a picture? I think I saw one at the falling leaf rally this last weekend.
We aim to please:

What goes up,
http://www.n7cxi.com/K1200LT/K1200LT_CB_UP_FRONT.JPG
http://www.n7cxi.com/K1200LT/K1200LT_CB_UP_SIDE.JPG

Also goes down.
http://www.n7cxi.com/K1200LT/K1200LT_CB_DOWN_FRONT.JPG
http://www.n7cxi.com/K1200LT/K1200LT_CB_DOWN_SIDE.jpg

--jim

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:40 am

That is a GREAT looking bike!! The shield you have looks good. The one I saw at the rally had a big bulge in the middle and covered the side wings. A galactic blast shield to say the least. I should of grabbed a pic...

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
That is a GREAT looking bike!! The shield you have looks good. The one I saw at the rally had a big bulge in the middle and covered the side wings. A galactic blast shield to say the least. I should of grabbed a pic...
Thanks! Right now she's the darling of the fleet. I can be fickle, though, so we'll have to see what early spring brings.

My shield's not quite up to Buck Rogers' level of of awesomely ugly, then. That one must've been impressive... ;-)

--jim
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Very interesting. That bears a very strong resemblance to the Vstream windshield. Maybe they're on to something?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 2:47 am Thread Starter

Update- The wife and I took the LT out the other night, so we got the opportunity to test the new windscreen. It was in the high 40's F and a few drips of rain caught us here and there.

The new screen performed beautifully. The only downside at all is that with all the buffetting and roaring gone we're free to notice that there is a little wind hitting our legs at speed. Not much and certainly not a deal-breaker, but a little more than our 2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium with a +4" Cee Bailey screen and OEM deflectors. Less than our stock 2012 GL1800, tho.

I'm considering whether so sell the Honda at this point or outfit it with a larger screen and Baker wings.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 10:37 am

Thanks for posting the pix as I'm in the market for one.

I'm a little on the tall side, so with the stock screen, I ride with it all the way up.

Where do you ride with the new screen, most of the time, at long highway speeds? All the way down, up, or in between.

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2011, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Where do you ride with the new screen, most of the time, at long highway speeds? All the way down, up, or in between.
At highway speeds I fight between all the way up and just down enough to see clearly over it. I'm not a big fan of looking through the screen, but I like cold wind and buffeting even less.

With the screen all the way up If I sit ramrod straight I can see over it easily, but start to get a little buffeting. When my normal poor posture takes over and I slouch a bit I get almost no buffeting, but am looking through the top of the screen. By the end of the ride I'm slouching 100% so I lower it just a smidgen.

But next week might be different... All the above probably has more to do with my being a fussbudget than anything. It's a great screen and gets me 95% of the way there. My getting stuck fussing with the last 5% has to do with me.

HTH,
--jim
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 17th, 2011, 7:21 am

I really like mine - just got back from a 2000 mile trip to the Dragon and back and it worked very well. The only downside is that it's got more area than a stock screen, so in high winds (and we hit some awful high winds and rain on Saturday - gusting at 45mph) the larger area catches the wind more than the stock screen, so I got more hammered than my buddies with stock screens. But that doesn't happen often and it's well worth the trade-off for 95% of the rest of the time. On the highway I ride with it lined up an inch or two below my nose and my wife and I are in peaceful bliss. In the twisties I prefer it most of the way down so I can see each corner better. I'm 6'0" with 32" inseam on a stock (plush) seat.

All the best!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in