Someone please help me understand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Question Someone please help me understand

What is the deal with the censorship on this site regarding a specific well known brand of oil? I wont mention the name of the oil but it is ALWAYS **'d whenever someone types it in the message.
Here is a hint if you don't know what I am talking about. It is produced in Superior WI, has red and blue lettering with the word oil in the latter part of the name and has a dealership structure to it.
Did the moderators have such a bad experience using it that even the mere mention of it causes instant censorship? How can I better understand what other common products and words that any 4 year old could normally mention to their strict grandmothers and not get their mouth washed out for uttering have been censored out of this site? If the above mentioned - not mentioned vile curse word has caused you intestinal distress so much so that you are puking in the toilet or now using up your WW3 supply of toilet paper I would like to humbly apologize for violating your tender sensibilities.

Dear censors,
I am just trying to understand so please dont delete this or move it to the farthest reaches of the old site where no one can read it or answer it. Also please do not ban me from posting to this very informative site. I am relatively new here and did not get the memo regarding this oil.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 11:00 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Someone please help me understand

We had a member some time ago that was a Dealer of said Brand oil & with every post he made he talked about Said oil. Even if you posted about "Why does my radio Not work" his answer was to use said oil & your radio would start to work. He would also bad mouth ANY other brand oil as if (& yes I will say it) ****** was the beat all end all oil to fix ANY problem you have or might have in the future. Bottom line is everyone got tired of the Crap he put out so he was banned & People just stopped saying that oil name.

BTW I still don't see the Boat !?!

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Oct 10th, 2011 at 3:27 pm.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Seriously?... One immature dealer ruined it for everyone? Granted I wasnt there when this mental midget was doing this but come on. How can we do research on this if we cant even find it. Do I just put **** in the search box? This reminds me of the Princess Bride when Billy Crystal hears the word "Humperdink" Perhaps we should refer to this brand as Humperdink oil.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 11:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
What is the deal with the censorship on this site regarding a specific well known brand of oil? I wont mention the name of the oil but it is ALWAYS **'d whenever someone types it in the message.
Here is a hint if you don't know what I am talking about. It is produced in Superior WI, has red and blue lettering with the word oil in the latter part of the name and has a dealership structure to it.
Did the moderators have such a bad experience using it that even the mere mention of it causes instant censorship?
Dear censors,
I am just trying to understand so please dont delete this or move it to the farthest reaches of the old site where no one can read it or answer it. Also please do not ban me from posting to this very informative site. I am relatively new here and did not get the memo regarding this oil.
Hi Kirk,
First let me welcome you to BMWLT.com. If this is not your first venture in the social networking and the world of forums it shouldn't be a surprise to you that, as in any family, there are taboos. In the past, on this and just about any other powersports forum, oil, tires and batteries are hotly debated. When I first came to this forum it was well known that you would have your post shoved down your throat for starting an oil thread; especially if you stated that the oil you were using was better than anyone elses oil. I use A##O#L and I am a dealer. I don't advertise here and I am not a sponsor (yet). I am a member like you and others that use many different products and enjoy our bikes. If that is what you are here to do then you will be fine. If you are selling or promoting a product there is a mechanism for that here on the site and the membership are free to view/buy from that mechanism. I have never been censored for making a comment on this site and would be surprised if it were to happen unless my comments were flatly offensive. I don't know the reason, however, for not censuring Valvoline, Shell, Mobile1 and any other oil outside of the past history of zelots making it sound like there is one oil vastly better than an other oil.

I snipped some of your comments in the quote not to censure you but to only focus on your main question. IHTH.

Sincerely,

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 11:30 am

Yes you can still search for ****** in the search box and get a thousand hits. Yes he polluted other sites as well as ours and brought out the worst in people with his spam. Yes, we have moderators here thank God.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 1:20 pm

This site and the community have evolved from just a few members to hundreds and hundreds of members.

The moderators have done an excellent job making sure that this site friendly.

It has been a "life savor" for many in our community.

I look at the wealth of experience people share here; the overall helpful attitude. Amazing!

Banning that oil word made everyone's life more enjoyable.

After countless oil threads, I no longer care about a particular brand name some company prints on a can of oil, brake fluid, trany or rear end oil.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 2:16 pm

I think most everybody here knows when they see ****** what it is.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 3:26 pm

I don't believe anything has been censored here...

******... There, I said it.. Let's see if it get's censored...

I don't use it.. I'm sure it's as good or bad as any other brand...

That's really not what we're about here.. We're about motorcycling..
And wrenching..
And Food...

There are those dealers who can and do promote their products on this website via the dealer section..
Feel free to pay up and put up any propaganda there you'd like...

We just try to avoid the big friction that can take place when oil, tires, spermacides, etc are debated ...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 3:28 pm

By golly, It did get censored... Huh,, How about that...

Well, you learn something new everyday..

You know, This site does have owners... And they are free to do as they please..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 4:04 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

WOW, I learned something new today. I had no idea this site had a problem like that.
I guess we should go back to talking about politics and religion...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #11 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:06 pm

"Nuff said.........

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 6:38 pm

[QUOTE=JPSpen spermacides,

John[/QUOTE]
Spermacides!!!! Darn, I miss all the good ones!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 2:22 am

Garage

Great, just what we needed ....another oil thread.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #14 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Its not an oil thread... Its a *****'n ***** tread! Thanks to all for clearing up the whole ***** issue!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #15 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Well, that's just a whole load of ******.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in