Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 6:30 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX, USA
Posts: 223
Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Throttle action is very sticky. Saw elsewhere on the forum advice to first try lubing the cables from the top end. It was described as a simple job.

I took out the Clymer model and followed the simple instruction: remove one screw, remove bottom part of throttle cover on handlebar, exposing cables and lube.

The Clymer portrayed the throttle cover assembly as two pieces: the cover itself, and then a curved plastic piece through which the cables were routed and to which the cable tubes were connected.

But when I started to do this, (l) I couldn't get the cover bottom to separate and (2) it sure looks like the plastic piece through which the cables are routed is part of the cover bottom.
I couldn't see any seam or point of separation (although my old eyes are getting worse and I couldn't get the best angle for the examination).

I didn't want to force anything, so I restored the screw and now ask for advice. Thanks.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX
ljjohns is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 7:42 pm
Senior Member
 
BecketMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,522
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

There are two Phillips screws that hold the bottom cover in place. Both? are silver color. The cover snaps into place.

To remove it I gently pry on the section closest to the throttle.

If you can't down on the ground to look up at the screws you'll need a mirror. (You'll also need that to remove the screws that hold the top part of the handle bar covers in place.)

The 90 degree piece of plastic that the cables go into is made out two sections that also snap together. The inner piece is bolted to the brake reservoir. The piece that snaps onto it will come off if you stick a small screw driver blade in between both pieces at the bottom of the 90 degree plastic piece.

Here is an exploded diagram from MAX BMWs online parts:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...7&rnd=03252011

Here is a link to threads on cable replacement:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1666712

best from gorham
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
BecketMa is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: El Paso, TX, USA
Posts: 223
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Thanks, Bob.

Larry Johnson
ljjohns is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

While you can do this, I would not.

The throttle cables are Teflon-lined.

BMW expressly states they are not to be lubed (swells/destroys the liner).

The correct way to deal with this problem is to replace the cables.

I no longer remember when the updated cable arrangement was introduced, but I believe it was sometime after your 2003. If you don't want to pop the extra bux for the updated arrangement at the throttle grip, buying replacements for the original cables is the way to go.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,136
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Mark,

I discovered that the teflon lining is only the first five or six inches of the cable at the grip end. After that it is conventional cable and sleeve. Maybe we need to re-think lubrication as an option. I cut mine up after the clutch job when I found the TB end frayed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:01 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Mark,

I discovered that the teflon lining is only the first five or six inches of the cable at the grip end. After that it is conventional cable and sleeve. Maybe we need to re-think lubrication as an option. I cut mine up after the clutch job when I found the TB end frayed.
Interesting! How old was the cable? How much of the cable did you disect? (i.e., are you sure you got all of the liner, vs. just an end portion?)

The last recent-vintage airhead cable I had a part was Telfon lined its entire length -- but if the latest LT cables are only lined on the end(s), I would think lubrication would not just be possible, but in order!

Still, I have to say I'm *really* surprised at the idea of only the last 5-6" being lined -- just doesn't seen right BMW would mix a lube-required and a no-lube required design in the same cable (unless, of course, this is yet another "cost saving" (for BMW) change/contract out to a third world supplier item).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 8:17 am
Senior Member
 
BecketMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,522
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Oh.

The throttle is in the steering section.
Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
BecketMa is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 10th, 2011, 7:00 pm
Senior Member
 
PATTERSON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RENTON, WA, USA
Posts: 436
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
Throttle action is very sticky. Saw elsewhere on the forum advice to first try lubing the cables from the top end. It was described as a simple job.

I took out the Clymer model and followed the simple instruction: remove one screw, remove bottom part of throttle cover on handlebar, exposing cables and lube.

The Clymer portrayed the throttle cover assembly as two pieces: the cover itself, and then a curved plastic piece through which the cables were routed and to which the cable tubes were connected.

But when I started to do this, (l) I couldn't get the cover bottom to separate and (2) it sure looks like the plastic piece through which the cables are routed is part of the cover bottom.
I couldn't see any seam or point of separation (although my old eyes are getting worse and I couldn't get the best angle for the examination).

I didn't want to force anything, so I restored the screw and now ask for advice. Thanks.

Larry Johnson
El Paso TX

From the sounds of things....I'd almost bet you have a frayed cable.....probably towards the bottom end.....just above the motor. Mine went bad somewhere around 60K........It's a bit of a PITA to do....but after you've done it you'll pat yourself on the back. Best of Luck

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
PATTERSON is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 6:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,136
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Interesting! How old was the cable? How much of the cable did you disect? (i.e., are you sure you got all of the liner, vs. just an end portion?)

The last recent-vintage airhead cable I had a part was Telfon lined its entire length -- but if the latest LT cables are only lined on the end(s), I would think lubrication would not just be possible, but in order!

Still, I have to say I'm *really* surprised at the idea of only the last 5-6" being lined -- just doesn't seen right BMW would mix a lube-required and a no-lube required design in the same cable (unless, of course, this is yet another "cost saving" (for BMW) change/contract out to a third world supplier item).
These were the factory cables on my 05 (not the new style 05 cables everyone switched to) and when I pulled out the inner cables there was only 5-6 inches of teflon up at the grip end. Now it could be there was a seperation but at the same spot on both cables? No I tossed them some time ago or I would go back and look. Most likey they were fully lined and just came apart.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Senior Member
 
gunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kings Mountain, NC, USA
Posts: 3,089
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

If you got to lube them, use a graphite lubricant such as made for locks.

The carrier fluid evaporates leaving the graphite, well, its supposed to.

Won't do you any good if the cable is frayed.

B D R
gunny is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:57 pm
Member
 
brettb10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: REMINDERVILLE, OHIO, USA
Posts: 85
Re: Accessing throttle cables -- 2003 K12LT

Just lost my throttle cable at motor end...782 miles from home......107k on bike....I did not notice any binding at all
brettb10 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle cable replacement notes johnrehder K1200LT 26 Aug 8th, 2013 7:54 am
New Throttle Cables = Joy! silverlt2002 K1200LT 7 Jul 30th, 2010 2:53 pm
Bad Day at Dealer updating throttle cables!!!! MickS K1200LT 103 Mar 26th, 2007 10:39 am
New Throttle Cables... I guess I need a mod Kit BamaLT K1200LT 6 Mar 11th, 2006 6:27 pm
NOT so full throttle (new cables) k2steve K1200LT 6 Feb 10th, 2006 5:07 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome