'06 K1200LT just completed 600 mile service, uh-oh! What's that sound? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:13 am Thread Starter

'06 K1200LT just completed 600 mile service, uh-oh! What's that sound?

I just had the 600 mile service completed on my KLT on Saturday. The ride home was fabulous, sunny, 75 and just little breezy, a perfect day for riding. I made the 70 mile trip home with no trouble at all. The problem came later when my wife asked me to take her out to dinner. Everything was fine for the ride out to the highway (about 8 miles) and on the highway. However, when we got off the highway and stopped at the first traffic light, the rear brakes gave off a horrible screech. My wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked; "What the hell was THAT!" Ever since that moment, the rear brake has been screeching even one up under light braking. The dealer is closed until Tuesday, the sound seems very abnormal to me, should I avoid riding it or is there something I can look at myself? Also, when up on the center stand, if I turn the rear wheel, I do hear what sounds like some dragging on the brake rotor. I'm quite concerned! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:21 pm

First I'd say look and see if there are signs of a problem like scoring on the rotor or fluid leaks then I'd say given you only have 600 miles, which no doubt, have been gentle miles you most likely have glazed your brake pads ( an extremely common and annoying issue). Find a straight stretch of road and do some hard braking. You don't need to trigger the ABS, just slow down fast a few times. All should be well.
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Does it sound like a garbage truck? Mine does. I have gotten used to not using the rear brake at the end of a stop & at 18,000 miles, I either got used to it or it is not as bad.

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 1:30 pm

You can read for days on squeal-ing rear brakes on the LT. run a quick search on this site and you'll get the skinny.
post #5 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
You can read for days on squeal-ing rear brakes on the LT. run a quick search on this site and you'll get the skinny.
Yep, a big 10-4 on that. My rear brakes squeal so bad I try not to use them in city traffic, although it can be fun to watch the horrified expressions on peoples' faces as you pull up next to them at a light.

My rear brakes can wake the dead, make my ears bleed, cause premature heart defects in nearby pedestrians, and so on.

Lots of reading on this site about this. There are several suggestions; some work for others, some don't.

May The Force be with you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 2:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Didn't you guys read the BMW pamphlet? The squealing brakes are a safety feature. Picture this: you're riding along just enjoying the day when some moron tries to make a left turn in front of you. You tap the rear brakes, a horrible screeching emanates which causes the cager to drop his cell phone and slam on his brakes, and you motor on past as you turn up the stereo. Brilliant, really. All bikes should have this feature.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Ken,

Is that to say:
"Loud Brakes Save Lives"...?

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #8 of 20 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Didn't you guys read the BMW pamphlet? The squealing brakes are a safety feature. Picture this: you're riding along just enjoying the day when some moron tries to make a left turn in front of you. You tap the rear brakes, a horrible screeching emanates which causes the cager to drop his cell phone and slam on his brakes, and you motor on past as you turn up the stereo. Brilliant, really. All bikes should have this feature.
That's good, Ken. LOL!!

It's also a safety feature for the rider: after a long day you may be tired, and tend to doze off (yes, even on a bike). As you start to lose conciousness your right foot instinctively heads for the foot brake, the resulting sound of which wakes you up and you drive up a utility pole.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:22 pm

For some unknown reason, when I use the handlebar brakes it doesn't squeal as bad as when I apply the rear brakes. But, when I need to stop in a hurry I forget the squeal and use both rear and front brakes.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt
For some unknown reason, when I use the handlebar brakes it doesn't squeal as bad as when I apply the rear brakes. But, when I need to stop in a hurry I forget the squeal and use both rear and front brakes.
Leon
05 Blue LT
Exactly. I've read that only the rear brakes squeal so badly (or at all).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
First I'd say look and see if there are signs of a problem like scoring on the rotor or fluid leaks then I'd say given you only have 600 miles, which no doubt, have been gentle miles you most likely have glazed your brake pads ( an extremely common and annoying issue). Find a straight stretch of road and do some hard braking. You don't need to trigger the ABS, just slow down fast a few times. All should be well.

Thank you for the suggestion, I looked at the rotor and it doesn't look any different from the front. So, I tried some hard breaking on some straight stretches. That may have helped some for light braking, but the noise is still there during more forceful braking. It's not a screech, but more like a loud dull metal to metal grind. And the brakes seem to grab a bit more in slow speed manuevers than they did before the service. That might be because I'm concentrating on the sound more than on what I'm doing, though... The other point that bothers me is that I hear the sound when the bikes on the center stand and I roll the rear wheel. Could a brake pad be dragging??? I think I saw a fix for that in another thread.

Thanks for the new motto; "Loud brakes save lives...." I love it!
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:01 pm

reer breks

hi. you must lift the bike on senter lift end look into the breks of shor you will faind a litel ston incid this is the noice
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:03 pm

Quitcherbitchin

Turn up the music, plug your ears with an MP3
post #14 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2949
Turn up the music, plug your ears with an MP3
This was my wife's exact solution!!! And it really worked. Gotta figure out how to disconnect that passenger volume control.....
post #15 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:22 pm

aint gone to belief this

Jeez..I had the squekinest darn experience the other day. Drivin along in the salt and there's crap all over the place. So I'm thinkin OK what if I had to pull over or somethin. Yeah, well this squirrel come runnin acrost like he's bein chased by Virgil from Deliverance who's lookin for dinner. Quess what..he didnt make it..squirl that is. Fetched up in my rear wheel rite in the goddamn roter wouldt ya know. Squeling like a pig he was. Deader 'n a fart but still squelin. So I pulls over and get a stick to get whats left of him outa my brakes. Guts all over the pads and whatnot but hey it aint never ben cleaned so what the hell..I take the varmint and start to heave him over the bank when this crow lands on my hat and starts beatin the crap outa me. So I drop the goddam squirel and wouldnt ya know the crow picks him up and takes off. Only problem was the crow couldn't fly cuz of the waite of the squirel so I gets on the bike and run over the goddam crow. That'll fix that bastid i says. So now the crows wedged up under my front fender with the beak stickin out to port and claws with squirrel to starbird. Screw this I sez. So I hop on an head down the road with the crow flaylin around upfront and squirrel guts mukin up my rear breaks..all the time everthing squelin to beet the band. So the next time yu think you got break problims dont think nothin uf it. You aint herd squelin til you hear the sound of burnin crow feathers.
post #16 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 4:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Uh oh, looks like Karl has some competition . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 20 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Yep, that's the sound. First time I heard it I pulled over to check the brake pad thickness. It's doubtful you're metal to metal with so few miles unless the pad was defective and the lining came lose. Also, some 'dragging' noise when spinning the wheel by hand is normal. Again, with so few miles sticky calipers isn't likely. If some hard braking doesn't do it for you try the EBC pads, they worked great on mine. If you remain concerned have your dealer check it for you just to be safe.
post #18 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Update - Forceful Braking seems to have worked!!!

After thinking about the first cut at forceful braking, I realized that I probably used more front brake than rear, despite the intergral brakes. Sooooo, I tried the exercise again, only this time, I used the rear brake only. Obviously, the front brakes applied as well, but THIS time, the noise has gone away. For now, anyway. I'm not trying to start another "linked brakes" controversy, just reporting what I did and that now the sound is gone. Thanks for the advice!!!!
post #19 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by boadb2sys
... I tried the exercise again, only this time, I used the rear brake only. Obviously, the front brakes applied as well, but THIS time, the noise has gone away. For now, anyway. I'm not trying to start another "linked brakes" controversy, just reporting what I did and that now the sound is gone. Thanks for the advice!!!!
My experience exactly, FWIW.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 20 Old Mar 15th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Glad you got it worked out,

Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in