New member and a question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 8:04 am Thread Starter

New member and a question

Hi everyone

I'm new to the BMW world and back into riding a motorcycles. I've been away from riding for several years. But I'm back on the saddle again, so to speak. I bought a 1999 K1200LT with 30k miles last week. What a great bike! Wanted to ask though how hard would it be to add a iPod hook up to the audio system? I know that there's the adapter that plugs into the tape deck player but nota big fan of those set ups. Thanks Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 8:32 am

Re: New member and a question

Welcome to the forum Pete. There are a few methods available to put your iPod playlists on your '99. Assuming that you don't have a factory comm system.

You are aware of the 1st method. The old cassette thingey that you plug into the cassette player. I have one and it works well. The handlebar volume control works but you can't move around in your playlists.

The second method is to buy an Dice unit that replaces the 6 stacker in the right side case. This is a ice option as your handlebar controls sill work for volume and let you move around in your playlists. Some have had steller performance with these units, others not so much.

The third option is to replace your factory radio with a Jensen marine radio. You lose volume control on the handlebars but the head unit is very convenient to navigate around. The folks who have made this switch seem quite happy with them.

I also use a CardoScala bluetooth intercom system that has an MP3 player input. The rider and passenger can listen to their own tunes and the systems work well.

I plan to trade out my fully functional stock radio for a Jensen.

There is a forum on the site that is called iPod MP3. It is located under Accessories Gadgets and Gear. Here is the link. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52 Good information there so go have a look.

The search function is definitely your friend

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 8:55 am

Paul,

Welcome to BMW's, LT's, and the group here. I too recently bought a used '99 and wanted more audio stuff. Loren well summarized your options. The simplest, least complicated or expensive way to quickly get your iPod hooked up is the cassette converter. I used one for a while. $25 bucks and it works.

In my case I wanted to add stereo intercom capability so I could get music, and communications, in a helmet head set, which I already have on other bikes. There are several ways to go but all involve some expense, and, if you do your own work, a bit of time. In my case I also wanted CB too, so I installed a J&M CB/intercom, and added connections to the AUX input from several sources including an iPod connector, which I put in the "glove" box.

For starters in your case, don't discount the cassette converter, it's cheap and quick, and if the audio stuff in your bike's still working OK....gives you decent music through your speakers.

Enjoy....

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 9:50 am

Paul, there is something called an I-Trip that plugs into the I-Pod and transmits over an pre selected FM frequency. I've had good success with them. The down sides are a) if there is a radio station at that exact requency it will override the I-pod til you're out of range and the I-Trip is powered by the I-Pod battery so you're usage time of the I-Pod on battery will be less.

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info I might try the cessette thing to start. When I bought my bike I found the cassette player and had to chunkle but it is a 99. I'm going to get new tires on tues. I think she still have the original rubbers haha. I'm teaching my wife how to ride on her yamaha 250 and she's doing well but I need to go for a real ride lol
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Don't bother buying the cheap cass adapters. They work, but the volume is low and they will not give you clear enjoyable audio.

Belken is an excellent unit.

I tried a couple of units that make a weak FM signal that you tune in on the bike's FM. It was a pain to have to keep resetting the sender's frequency as I rode around. There always seemed to be some FM station that would drowned out the FM signal.

I priced an in-line unit that sent the signal down the FM antenna cable. $100.

I stuck with the cass adapter.

I recently bought a GPS unit with an MPS player. I plan to still use the cass adapter for the GPS's audio and music.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Oooh.

If you run a search for 1999 or 2000 within the LT forum, you'll finds tons of information specific to those model years. In 2001? the changed the braking system.

Best from gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in