k1200lt faulty fuel/milage gauge - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Question k1200lt faulty fuel/milage gauge

hi all

K1200LT

can any one tell me when the orange light comes on which indicates the mileage left how many miles left before running out.

thanks andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: k1200lt faulty fuel/milage gauge

Normally that is set for 1 gal remaining. It varies as to the miles to go as it uses the average mileage in the BC. The dealer can set the light to come on at any level you choose. You just have to go there with that amount of fuel in the bikes tank and he can set it at that level.

I learned to reset my BC periodically when pulling a trailer as I do get lesser mileage and the BC average was quite a bit higher. Thought I had farther to go and ran right out of gas in the freeway. My light came on but I was only getting 32 mpg with the trailer and it was computing miles to go based on the 46 mpg avaerage in the BC. Now I never pass a gas station after the light comes on!!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

hi

thank you for your advice,this is what i throught i have a 2009 LT with 14000 miles on the clock,since new ive got 50-52 mpg and the light would come on with about 50 miles left ,recently it has been playing up and last week was changed by dealer but still the light hasnt come on with only 24 miles to go.

regards andy

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbeatie1
hi all

K1200LT

can any one tell me when the orange light comes on which indicates the mileage left how many miles left before running out.

thanks andy
My 2007 comes on with about 1.25 gallons remaining and typically 60-70 miles to empty according to the BC. Doesn't your BC have the "miles remaining" function? I am not sure what year LT you have so maybe the BC functions are different, but my 07 shows this parameter directly and it updates in real-time so you can see your miles remaining change as you climb hills, etc.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Normally that is set for 1 gal remaining. It varies as to the miles to go as it uses the average mileage in the BC. The dealer can set the light to come on at any level you choose. You just have to go there with that amount of fuel in the bikes tank and he can set it at that level.

I learned to reset my BC periodically when pulling a trailer as I do get lesser mileage and the BC average was quite a bit higher. Thought I had farther to go and ran right out of gas in the freeway. My light came on but I was only getting 32 mpg with the trailer and it was computing miles to go based on the 46 mpg avaerage in the BC. Now I never pass a gas station after the light comes on!!!
Doesn't your BC have the "distance remaining" function? After my light comes on, I switch the read-out to this function and I can watch my miles remaining spool down and know when it is time to fill-up. I have found this to be fairly accurate. Mine doesn't count down to zero, rather somewhere around the 20 miles left point it just displays dashes. That is when you know it REALLY is time to get gas!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 2:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Doesn't your BC have the "distance remaining" function? After my light comes on, I switch the read-out to this function and I can watch my miles remaining spool down and know when it is time to fill-up. I have found this to be fairly accurate. Mine doesn't count down to zero, rather somewhere around the 20 miles left point it just displays dashes. That is when you know it REALLY is time to get gas!
Mine goes to dashes after 15 miles to E. Trouble was it was giving me MTE based on a (long term) mpg of 46 when I was actually getting (short term pulling a trailer) 32. It was seconds after the dashed lines came on that I ran out. Remember the MPG is a cumulative average if you don't reset the MPG.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 2:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Mine goes to dashes after 15 miles to E. Trouble was it was giving me MTE based on a (long term) mpg of 46 when I was actually getting (short term pulling a trailer) 32. It was seconds after the dashed lines came on that I ran out. Remember the MPG is a cumulative average if you don't reset the MPG.
I reset mine at every fuel stop, but I am reasonably sure that my MTE is based on the real-time MPG and not the average. Near the end of a tank, the average MPG has settled down and changes very little, yet when I select the MTE display the number changes almost constantly and going up and down hills will add and subtract 5 plus "miles to empty" in no time at all. I can't be 100% sure how BMW does this calculation, but it if it was based on average MPG it would not be changed nearly as fast as mine does when climbing a hill or descending on the other side.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #8 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 2:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yeah I have seen it go up and down also (coast down a long hill and actually make gas!!)

I guess I was looking at when the light came on. If I reset when pulling a trailer it comes on when I am near 32 MTE and if I don't have the tailer it comes on around 43-6 MTE. The average still may be used in the formula but only as a part of the calculation. I just never pass a station now when the light does come on.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 11 Old Oct 9th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I have seen it go up and down also (coast down a long hill and actually make gas!!)

I guess I was looking at when the light came on. If I reset when pulling a trailer it comes on when I am near 32 MTE and if I don't have the tailer it comes on around 43-6 MTE. The average still may be used in the formula but only as a part of the calculation. I just never pass a station now when the light does come on.
That is certainly a safe policy. I don't tow and I rarely get less than 46 MPG so I can go a long way after the light comes one.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 2:00 pm

The timing of this post is perfect! Last night around 1 a.m.on my trip home from visiting my folks and some friends who live about 3 1/2 hours away I was trying to make it to my normal gas stop off exit 105, on I-69 Perry,Michigan. At milemarker 92 my fuel light came on and I thought, no big deal, only 13 miles to go. Well about 3 miles later she started slowing down and sputtering. I coast to a stop, bike is still idling, and lean it over to the right and the idle speeds up just a bit. Now I"m cussing myself out for being so dumb as to have passed exit 94, which had a sign for gas but looked dark, so I keep heading towards Perry cossing my fingers. A little bit further, same thing, power loss, sputtering so I pull over and do the tip to the right thing again and it works, a little more gas made it over to the side with the fuel pump.
So, off we go again until coming up to an overpass at about milemarker 100 so I pull over along the cement wall, as the bikes sputtering along again, and using the wall of the overpass to brace my foot against, I leaned the bike over just as far as i thought I'd dare and still be able to pick it back up. Well, I went about 2" past my limit so there I sit stuck in a leaned over position with my bike trying to tip the rest of the way over and me not about to let that happen but without enough strength left to stand it back up!
I tried 2 more times with no luck then I decide to turn around and put my back to the bike and give it 1 last try and it works! So off we go trying to ride a gently as possible on towards Perry, and wouldn't you know it but we made it to the gas station with the bike still running.
So, I guess the purpose of this post is 2 fold, hopefully someone gets a laugh out of my stupidity, and to say that, when that fuel light comes on, get your ass to a gas station a.s.a.p.!!
F.Y.I.- it took 5.843 gallons to fill from that empty
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Fueling up when the light comes in is GOOD advice. These things aint easy to push and they CAN run out of gas! BTDT The gas thing not the push thing!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in