Top Case Retractable Strap Repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Top Case Retractable Strap Repair

When I picked up my '02 LT last year, it came with many of the issues that I've read about here, such as a broken trunk latch, loose mirrors, etc. Mine also had a problem with the molded plastic pocket where the top lid strap connects to the trunk bottom. I failed to take a picture of what mine looked like before the repair, but I found a picture on another thread that looked pretty similar:

Picture credits go to gosling1

I like to repair things once, and never have to mess with it again, and as a result I sometimes over-engineer my repairs. Well, this repair has worked out pretty well so I thought I’d share it with the group.

After removing the trunk liner, I took a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and a file and removed the inside (broken) wall of the pocket, creating an opening ¾” wide and ¾” tall. I then took a piece of ¾” square tubing, 1/8” wall thickness, and ¾” long, and drilled and tapped it to receive a 10-24 x ¾” nylon thumb screw (I happened to have one on hand). I also beveled the back of the square tubing so when installed the side where the thumb screw would go was flush with pocket and I beveled the top edge of the tubing to keep it from fraying the strap. Before I glued the aluminum block in place, I put a small piece of tape over the back side of the square tubing to keep the glue from filling the hole I had drilled and tapped. If your square tubing doesn’t fit against the bottom of the pocket very tightly, you may want to put a 5/8” square of tape on the bottom of the square tubing to keep glue from seeping in from the bottom. I then mixed up some JB Weld and glued the square tubing in place. I placed a piece of masking tape across the front to keep any glue from oozing out and as you can see from the photos, I filled the gaps on either side with JB Weld.

Pictures say it all….

Here it is with the tape removed

The next day, I shortened the strap by cutting it off and installing a small buckle I lasered out of ABS plastic (to fix the problem that cause the failure in the first place). To go one step further, I found an aluminum bushing at Home Depot that was ½” long, 3/8” in diameter and had a 3/16” bore. I inserted the bushing in the loop created by the buckle, dropped them into the pocket, and secured with the thumbscrew.

With the liner installed, it’s hard to tell that it’s not factory and hopefully I won’t have to worry about this one again.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Nick

2002 K1200LTC
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert (project bike)

Newton might have figured out gravity a lot sooner if he’d ridden a K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Re: Top Case Retractable Strap Repair

Wow Nick, that looks like a professional job! Congratulations.

As I learnt about this problem already years ago I have been able to prevent this damage simply by using needle and thread and sewing an extra loop on the strap.

This has been among my first mod proposals to newbie LT-riders. Very simple and cheap. The top case lid does not need to open much more than just 92 degrees...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 6:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Nicely done, sir.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 2:40 am

Very good Job Nick, professional.

Manfred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in