When I picked up my '02 LT last year, it came with many of the issues that I've read about here, such as a broken trunk latch, loose mirrors, etc. Mine also had a problem with the molded plastic pocket where the top lid strap connects to the trunk bottom. I failed to take a picture of what mine looked like before the repair, but I found a picture on another thread that looked pretty similar:
Picture credits go to gosling1
I like to repair things once, and never have to mess with it again, and as a result I sometimes over-engineer my repairs. Well, this repair has worked out pretty well so I thought I’d share it with the group.
After removing the trunk liner, I took a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and a file and removed the inside (broken) wall of the pocket, creating an opening ¾” wide and ¾” tall. I then took a piece of ¾” square tubing, 1/8” wall thickness, and ¾” long, and drilled and tapped it to receive a 10-24 x ¾” nylon thumb screw (I happened to have one on hand). I also beveled the back of the square tubing so when installed the side where the thumb screw would go was flush with pocket and I beveled the top edge of the tubing to keep it from fraying the strap. Before I glued the aluminum block in place, I put a small piece of tape over the back side of the square tubing to keep the glue from filling the hole I had drilled and tapped. If your square tubing doesn’t fit against the bottom of the pocket very tightly, you may want to put a 5/8” square of tape on the bottom of the square tubing to keep glue from seeping in from the bottom. I then mixed up some JB Weld and glued the square tubing in place. I placed a piece of masking tape across the front to keep any glue from oozing out and as you can see from the photos, I filled the gaps on either side with JB Weld.
Pictures say it all….
Here it is with the tape removed
The next day, I shortened the strap by cutting it off and installing a small buckle I lasered out of ABS plastic (to fix the problem that cause the failure in the first place). To go one step further, I found an aluminum bushing at Home Depot that was ½” long, 3/8” in diameter and had a 3/16” bore. I inserted the bushing in the loop created by the buckle, dropped them into the pocket, and secured with the thumbscrew.
With the liner installed, it’s hard to tell that it’s not factory and hopefully I won’t have to worry about this one again.
Thanks for looking and have a great day!