Determine if it's a gravel road? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 3:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Determine if it's a gravel road?

I put this in the LT section because most other BMW bikes don't consider it a problem. I don't really care to ride gravel if I don't have to for the obvious big girl issues. Sometimes you just suck it up and ride it out. I was wondering if any LT riders have found a way to determine if a road you are planning on riding is gravel or not. I like the backroads more than anything and love to plan my routes in great detail.
I understand that having to pass a planned road can lead to a more interesting ride, but that's fine for once I'm there. Planning is a major part of the fun for me and I'd like to get it as nailed down as possible.
How do you find backroads that are paved before you get there (not all roads on Google maps drill down to the street level)?

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Re: Determine if it's a gravel road?

I too like the less traveled roads. The two things I try to use in planning is a good road atlas, preferring the Benchmark brand, and Google Earth.
Most atlas' will show gravel by a broken red line (color isn't important). Problem is that they're not always 100% correct. Made many a U-turn because of it.
Once I figure out where I'm going, like a city or area, I go to Google Earth and start scanning around. You can usually tell what's paved and what's gravel. Found some really fun rides that way.
Your last resort would be to post a request in the region you're looking at, and ask the local guys. I've done that several times for Northern Ca. and go good information.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I too like the less traveled roads. The two things I try to use in planning is a good road atlas, preferring the Benchmark brand, and Google Earth.
Most atlas' will show gravel by a broken red line (color isn't important). Problem is that they're not always 100% correct. Made many a U-turn because of it.
Once I figure out where I'm going, like a city or area, I go to Google Earth and start scanning around. You can usually tell what's paved and what's gravel. Found some really fun rides that way.
Your last resort would be to post a request in the region you're looking at, and ask the local guys. I've done that several times for Northern Ca. and go good information.
Thanks for the quick response.
I write this because I can't see, on GE, the roads well enough to determine if they're paved or not. I'll start looking into getting maps of the areas I tend to ride most. Thanks!
I've had great success when asking about specific roads or where are the great roads in an area. Case being M-58 in Michigan's UP. AWESOME recommendation I received from a forum member.

Thanks again,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 3:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on a good map . I use DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8x5f7e8xf7_e . I go over the map book & find a route that is Primary county roads or State roads . Then I make a few notes of the route # & or names. I use a GPS on the bike & sometimes I put im way points to help keep me on route. But if there isn't more that turns than I can remember , I give the note to my wife & then I can ask her what turn comes next.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #5 of 5 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 5:23 pm

+1 on the GE. I use it all the time to plan rides in the US.
I have found that just click & hold on the 'Street View' man on the top left when your down low enough to see minor roads & that will high-lite the road if it's is sealed. BUT I have found the odd time that this wasn't always true, so do a random check along the road to ensure it is a sealed road.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in