I knew better.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

I knew better....

my 99 LT w/ 40k miles has been parked in my garage since last spring and over our long hot summer in Az. without being on the road and only started and ran on the center stand, the wife would rather do the horsey thing now so today i thought it would be time take it out as the weather is finally starting to break and prep it for sale on craigslist. i siphoned as much old fuel as i could and added new, so off i go.... well it is running like cr*p....
does anyone have any suggestions on were to start the troubleshooting?

thx
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Re: I knew better....

Give it a heavy shot of injector cleaner. I read that lots of guys use this Seafoam stuff with good results. I've never used it so can't say, but my guess is that your injectors are fouled.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

topped of w/premium and added injector cleaner then rode 20 miles.. thought i was going to get rear ended...
wonder if the additive will work while it's not running as i never ever had this happen as
I Knew Better!!!
so back to the troubleshooting ?

thx
dave

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Consider draining all of the old gas out.
You will have to remove the brake side panel to get to the fuel lines.

Its a real PITA to get them apart. The coupling connector, if I remember correctly, is made out of plastic. I had to grab it with pliers and then take a screwdriver to pry the fuel line away from it enough so that I could could get a small screw driver under the fuel line and pry the fuel line up a bit to help get the fuel line to slide off the connector.

Before I did that, I bought fuel line hose clamps in case the BMW ones were not reusable.

To get the fuel line back over the connector, coat both the connector and inside of the fuel line with gas. It will make them side them back together easier.

Best from Gorham Me
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the reply Bob!
i spent a lot of time with small hoses siphoning the old fuel as the guage registered about empty when complete so i would guess under a gallon remained, then i topped off w/new and added injector cleaner then rode 20 miles
was wondering if anybody else had a similar experience and what it took to rectify it?

thx
dave
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Is there any chance that, during the siphoning process, you knocked something loose? Wondering if it might be associated with the fuel pump and/or lines in the tank. Just thinking out loud at this point.
If you did any other work, go back into those areas and see if something might have been disconnected or knocked around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in