Dead Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Dead Radio

Yesterday my radio quit. The weird thing is the intercom works, and now and then there are strange things on the display screen that look like digital flowers. This is a stock BMW radio with CD. CD does not work also. Any idea's ? I have no idea were to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 9:21 am

Re: Dead Radio

Believe it will be suggested to dissconnect the battery in order to do a hard reset.

Also Dan you may want create a sig or fill out the information so people know what year your bike is sometimes it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheradan
Yesterday my radio quit. The weird thing is the intercom works, and now and then there are strange things on the display screen that look like digital flowers. This is a stock BMW radio with CD. CD does not work also. Any idea's ? I have no idea were to start.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Believe it will be suggested to dissconnect the battery in order to do a hard reset.

Also Dan you may want create a sig or fill out the information so people know what year your bike is sometimes it helps.
Will do. Thank you,

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:35 am

Here is a similar thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46604

The advice was to disconnect the bat for 30 minutes--a "hard" reset of the radio.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!! Thank you Thank you! Disconnected battery for a couple hours, reconnected, everything is good.

2003 K1200LTC
with all the Goodies
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 5:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheradan
THAT WAS IT!!!!!!!! Thank you Thank you! Disconnected battery for a couple hours, reconnected, everything is good.
The magic of electronics.... Better yet, the magic of a web site like this where folks are ready, willing and able to help! Anyone that hasn't joined, should. Let's keep the lights on!

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Smile Re: Dead Radio

Yep! That's what this site is all about. We have all benefited in the past and are more than happy to assist others like ourselves. Knowledge is power. and a money saver!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550f
The magic of electronics.... Better yet, the magic of a web site like this where folks are ready, willing and able to help! Anyone that hasn't joined, should. Let's keep the lights on!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 9:19 pm

I need to offer my thanks to this group, as well. I had the exact same thing happen to my radio last weekend. Using the search tool, I found the thread referenced above. Corrected my situation immediately. I could only imagine how much it would have cost me to replace the radio system. I had actually started looking at the Jensen system before finding the above noted thread. Many thanks again.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #9 of 9 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I just joined this forum and had a look around. Lo & behold I came across this thread (and the other linked to this). I was just about to dismantle my bike to see why the radio had stopped working (radio cd etc) and I tried the disconnect battery trick (I had removed the fuse, to no avail) but disconnecting the battery worked a treat!

Thanks to all the people posting this, it certainly saved me a lot of effort for nothing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in