Striped screw head - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Striped screw head

I went to remove the screw behind the mirror that holds two pieces in place. It is in a recessed area where I cannot get a pair of vice grips on it. It holds the trim panel under the windshield and, I believe, the nose cone in place.

I considered using an easy out but was afraid drilling out the crew for the easy out would create too much heat?

Right now I've got an allen head screw whose tip I put a blob of "JB Weld" on.

If that doesn't do the trick, does anyone have a suggestion to get this screw out?

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Re: Striped screw head

Cut a slot in it with a Dremel tool and get it with a screw driver.

B D R
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've never tried Gunny's technique, but it sounds like a good idea.I've had some luck with a screwdriver and a hammer, if there is a bump on the broken screw. You may be able to tap it out counterclockwise. If you decide to use a bolt extractor, keep in mind, when drilling out screws and bolts, use low rpm and heavy pressure.They're a higher and harder grade of steel than what they're screwed into. I'd say the biggest problem you'll encounter is burning up drill bits. Start with an itsy-bitsy bit, and keep enlarging the hole, with bigger bits. The problem I've had with easy out bolt extractors is breaking them off, especially if the pilot hole is not in the direct center. If you can flatten the broken screw with a grinder or dremel, it's easier to hit dead center when drilling. Keep the blues flowing.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:51 pm

+1 on Gunny's idea.

I try and remember to save the little Dremel cut-off wheels that get almost used up. You will cut less of a slot in the surrounding areas by using a wheel that is smaller in diameter. I also have a 90 degree head for the Dremel that sometimes makes this operation easier.

Try and cut the slot in the middle of the screw so you don't break off one side in the removal operation.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 8th, 2011, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the time everyone took to post suggestions.

The JB weld set up nicely over night. When I started turning the bolt, it unthreaded form the JB weld.

I went to a local ACE hardware store. They had "easy Outs" and another set of extractors which I bought. While there I priced a Dremel tool, $50. But they didn't have a right angle attachment.

When i got back I looked carefully at the extractors and decided to NAPA to see if they had a set of extractors with left handed threads.

After I picked up that set from NAPA I inserted one of the extractors on top of the "ugly!" torx head screw and started slowly turning it in reverse with my electric screw diver.

that was when I discovered that trying the JB Weld meant I had to drill out the JB Weld.

In essence, I wound up drilling a small tunnel into the Ugly! screw head. I carefully tap the extractor in the screw head and turned it with vice-grips (I didn't have a wrench or socket small enough to fit the extractor head).

Once the tunnel was deep enough the extractor burrowed into the steel. Since it was left handed as I turned the bit it lodged into the screw which came out.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extractor 001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	33147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extractor 002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	33148  

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in