Park-n-Move - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Park-n-Move

Is anybody using the Park-n-Move with their LT? (see link below). The video shows the Park-n-Move being used on an LT with electric central stand but I am wondering how difficult it is to put an LT with no electric stand on and off the Park-n-Move.
http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 10:19 am

Re: Park-n-Move

I've used the Park N Move for about a year with my '99 LT. Overall I would say it works pretty well. You can roll the bike around fairly easily and move it right up against a wall for storage. There is a little learning curve on how to use PNM when you first get it. If you have an LT without the hydraulic center stand you have to be confident with your ability to put the bike up on the stand. I found if you roll the rear tire up on to a piece of 1x4 it will raise the bike enough to put it on the PNM.

On caution is under the right conditions if you are moving the bike on the PNM rolling over a small crack or joint on a concrete floor can make the center stand fold back dropping the bike to the floor. What happens next depends on how ready you were when it came off. How do I know this? I'm not sure if this would be the same problem with the hydraulic center stand.

Taking the bike off the PNM takes some effort. I get on the bike and rock it forward and back until it comes off. Again the hydraulic stand would make this process easier.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 10:23 am

I tried using the Park n Move with my LT; I have an 03 without the power center stand. First the LT is to heavy for this device and without the power center stand it's tricky getting it up on the stand. I did find if you back the rear wheel on a board (3/4) it's easier to get it up. Also to me the casters were too soft with all the weight of the LT; it's not as easy to move around the floor as the video shows. If you do use the device make sure the floor is super clean the smallest rock can stop the park n move on the spot. If your moving the bike forward and you hit something with a caster the Park n move stops but the LT keeps going forward off the center stand. This happened to me luckily I was standing along side the bike and keep it from going over. I stopped using it after that happened. I guess this won't be a problem if you have an LT with the power center stand. The Park and Move is great for smaller machines but I won't use for the LT.

Will Hedgspeth
03 LTE

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 1:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just a comment,

The power center stand has power going up...going down it's manual. So I don't think lowering it from the park-n-move would be any different.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Like John said, the EHCS does not make using this kind of dolly any easier / safer.
Well, maybe if the rear will gets lifted up first getting it up is slightly easier. The motor / pump does not have the power to lift the bike if the starting angle of the center stand is too small (meaning there is something "odd" under the feet of the stand)
And, yes I can imagine that the castors have to be really sturdy.
The dolly I built has castors with a capacity of 150 kg / 340 lbs each and the wheel diameter is 80 mm.
https://picasaweb.google.com/ari.ignatius/LTDOLLY#

The castors have to be hard enough otherwise you can't move the bike around and the bigger the wheels the less sensitive it is to the dirt on the floor. But still it is wise to keep the floor clean when pushing the bike...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 4:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a PNM which I use on one of my other bikes. For the LT it would be useful if you want to nudge it up against a wall or into a corner for long term storage. It does require smooth concrete and some patience during the learning curve. If you put some oil and powdered lube on the axles you will be pleased with how easily it rolls.

post #7 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I use the Park n move for storing the bike during the winter of if I'm not going to use for awhile on my 03 LT. My only problem is getting it off the PNM. I have to place a towel in front of the casters to keep the PNM from rolling forward. I like the idea about the board to get it up on the PNM. The video is kinda misleading as they are not using an LT which is harder to roll with the weight forward.
But, it's great for snugging the bike up against the wall

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

1998 Honda Shadow 65K - sold
2003 BMW K1200LT - 10060K
IBI Member (1K Miles in 17 Hrs)
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:07 am

i bought a big bike mover. luckly i've an electric stand ,but it was heavey to move about when i pushed it foward it came off the stand a couple of times, which was not good nearly dropped it. then one day as i was moving the bike the pads came loose resulting in one side of the stand being on the ground and the other still on the mover. when i pushed it off the mover it jammed between the stand and the back wheel. i had to hammer the mover to free it, then when it came free my wife could not hold the bike so it ended on the floor not good. ive ended up with a scratched screen and a damaged centre stand. luckly when i put it into bmw i didnt tell them wot happened and they replaced to motor under warrenty. so in all no i would not get another. the place i bought it off gave me my money back but im left with a scratched screen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in