Snow in Month - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Snow in Month

Just had my first tupperware party to find a gas leak. Not quick connects but the Union nut gasket at fuel pump. It is fixed and I did my first fuel and air filter while disassembled. Ordered quick connects and awaiting arrival before I put it all back together and hide it for the winter. Any recommendations on what else to do in that area while I am waiting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Re: Snow in Month

Colin,

Welcome aboard.

You might want to update your signature & tell us your year of bike. Also what mileage it has that would indicate what service work it would need.

If your interested you might come to a BlackGoldBeemers meeting in Edmonton, check out the site for info http://www.blackgoldbeemers.ca/. Meeting next Wednesday see site for location.

We can help with servicing help if you need.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 5:23 am

I've gotten in the habit of spraying contact cleaner on anything and everything I see when I'm that deep into a bike. You've got the fuel pump connector, tank level sending unit, all the radio plugs around the sting ray, and the big wiring harness plug on the left side, etc.

Someone once told me that 70% of what puts old bikes on the side of the road are wiring problems, and most of them are old, corroded connections. So I've gotten in the habit of unplugging and spraying every connector I see.

Congrats on your first mining expedition.........not so bad...eh?

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 7:44 am

I was in Gardiner Montana a few weeks ago and had a fuel line leak. I had the smell of fresh gas for a few days but no external signs. In Gardiner it got worse and couldn't be ignored anymore but nothing was dripping, Figured it must only be leaking when running. So I started it while standing on the right side and inside the plastic I could see a flow of gas streaming down the engine but the engine heat was evaporating it before it dripped. Got a hotel and took off the plastic to find a bulge and hole in the fuel line. Wasn't about to remove the gas tank to get to everything to replace it so I cleaned the hose, wrapped it with electrical tape, and put a hose clamp over the hole. Continued my trip, now 4k later it is still holding. When I put it to bed for winter I'll do the same as you, take the tank off, filters, and new lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, updated profile (2009 with 27,000 miles) and will definitely spray the contacts. The "mining expedition" was something I have avoided but wasn't so bad. (haven't put back together yet so maybe I better not get too cocky) I have enjoyed working on my bike since off warranty this summer.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:00 am

Just make sure you get every last one of those tupperware screws in the exact hole they came out of. Or.......... toss 'em all in one pile then separate them into 3 piles by length. Start with the short screws first and use them where you can. If a short one is too short use a longer one. You will end up with long ones and that is just plain OK. There are one or two that you might need to be careful of as they might penetrate the gas tank.

Can someone tell him which screws these might be?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

"Just make sure you get every last one of those tupperware screws in the exact hole they came out of. Or.......... "

Oh yeah, that really happened!!!! I did my best and after putting it all back together and taking it to fill up, realizing for some reason my gas gauge wasn't working, tearing it all apart to find out I had not plugged in the gas gauge to the right plug (did anyone ever realize that the heated seat plug is exactly the same plug?) I know - Rookie

Anyway, I got two tupperware parties for the price of one and some good experience. Everything works now and I survived. I had much better control over screws (and plugs) the second time around.

Can't wait till next time!
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2011, 3:20 pm

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in