1200lt cranks but wont fire now - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

1200lt cranks but wont fire now

good news and bad news . my 05 lt cranks now but it wont start.i have hooked up all the fuel hoses. they only go one way . dissabled the alarm, hooked everything back up and it will not fire off. i have spark. i know that for a fact.(yes i got bit) .i have fuel in the tank and i hear the pump run. do i need to bleed the fuel system somehow? one more thing on dissabling the alarm. you say to undo the three- two pin connectors, one three pin ,one four pin and the twelve pin. do you leave those unhooked ? also my blue \ black wire in the number 2 was green . all the other colors match.also i only have two two pin connectors . i left all the connectors connected including the 12 pin one. thanks again for all your help. i am missing some great riding days here in iowa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 1200lt cranks but wont fire now

Guess I need to up date the article. Disconnect the power to the alarm (the three pin connector). Also leave the 12 pin connector disconnected. The others you can just leave as they are. Just jumper pin 3 (black/white/yellow) to pin 11 (black/yellow) and just pin 10 (green/violet) to pin 6 (blue/violet). Don't hook up pin 2 to this mix it will just keep your turn signal lamps turned on steady.

If it is cranking and you have spark there is a problem other than the alarm. Make sure you have fuel pressure. Undo a QD and press the white sleeve (have a rag handy) you shoud get a pretty good squirt of fuel

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the info. have narrowed down to either the fuelpump or the quick disconnect. it will run if i spray carb cleaner into the intake. both the fuel pump and the qd were replaced last year. i am thinking it has something to do with the disconnects .

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 8:40 pm

I had a similar problem with my '05. I did most, but not all, of what you've accomplished.
In the end I pulled the fuel injector rail, turned it front-to-back and reconnected it to the high pressure fuel line. This was done to visually check that each injector was firing (squirting fuel/spray pattern). With the FI rail and injectors connected, engage the starter and look for fuel misting/squirting from each injector. My #3 was not working. My LT would crank, spark, but not run or even sputter. Why one of 4 injectors would cause this I do not know.
Anyway, I removed the injector from the rail to OHM test same. I accidently dropped the injector before testing, which tested OK. When I re-installed the injector it had an excellent spray pattern????? Best as I can figure it was clogged and the drop knocked whatever free of the injector.

You've gone this far, maybe pulling the injectors may help.

Good luck.

Bill
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

when i leave the 12 pin connector unplugged the fuel pump will not run. i have jumpered the female side of the plug.do i need to jumper the male side and still leave it unplugged?
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You need to jumper the side that goes to the bike not the alarm. I can't remember which is female and male.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in