top case handel starting to crack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Angry top case handel starting to crack

i know about lt trunk latch.com. but at just over 350.00 i am interested in if or how some of you have repaired the problem. pictures would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 8:39 am

Re: top case handel starting to crack

I know it seems like a lot of $$, but you only pay once for a quantum leap in quality over the OEM latch. When I took my old one off it broke in my hands. Had I tried to repair it, it may have done the same thing but later on. I know... its your money. I'm just saying I'm not sorry for spending the bucks for the new trunk latch. Good luck with whatever your solution is.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 9:28 am Thread Starter

i agree it looks like a great & quality kit i have read all the pdf files on the lt site hi quality no dought about it. just looking for suggestions/alternitives. i have a few other things i want to do to the bike and want to try and control bike costs figure it could not hurt to check alternitives out

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:19 pm

I just got on the trunk latch site, too, and noticed they had a kit to upgrade the handle before it breaks. It sounds like this is a likelihood because of the material used in the OEM fabrication. Do you all suggest taking care of it before the inevitability?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:27 pm

I would highly recommend the fix it before it breaks kit. I had one side break and the kit solidify the remaining portion.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

I would highly recommend the fix it before it breaks kit. I had one side break and the kit solidified the remaining portion.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 8:32 am Thread Starter

mine is slightly cracked on one side & lt told me it was too late to use the before it breaks kit.
to anser the other question my bike has 21K on it.i think i either overloaded or got somthing stuck in the hinge and applyed to much pressure to the handel.but i have seen several repaired latches. and those guys repairs was the purpose of this thread.
but in hind sight i knew of the problem and dident do the preventive repair.now to fix it right it will prob cost double
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:21 am

If you guys are seeing noticeable deformation on the outside (fascia) of your latch handle, you're due for a replacement handle, NOT the preventative "Fix It Before It Breaks". What happens is that the hook shaped portion that breaks, first moves a lot. It's nowhere near where it should be. Consequently, the FIBIB kit will require a lot of painstaking 'dremel tool work' to elongate the holes to make it fit.

AND, if your handle IS broken, again, the FIBIB kit won't work satisfactorily. The reason is that the FIBIB provides flexural reinforcement of the hook shaped piece, but still RELIES on that portion to handle shear loads. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling you how it is!

Best,
Evan Guy
LT Trunk Latch.com
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Rudy
I just got on the trunk latch site, too, and noticed they had a kit to upgrade the handle before it breaks. It sounds like this is a likelihood because of the material used in the OEM fabrication. Do you all suggest taking care of it before the inevitability?
The fundamental problem with the OEM design is that the major load goes through a hook-shaped arm, then through the very thin fascia to get to the hinge location. THE REASON for this is that they completely screwed up the die-casting design!! The reason for the hook-shaped attribute is so they could have a retracting portion of the die. In order to fix it, they would have to toss out the VERY dies in which the part is cast and redesign those VERY EXPENSIVE DIES, from the ground, up!! My handle has a solid connection of material between the 2 major load points (which are only about 3/4" apart!! There you have it! And the zinc alloy used is junk, too....but with the correct design, the alloy would have worked fine....

Best,
Evan Guy
LT Trunk Latch.com
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 11:51 am

I bought Evan's "Fix it Before it Breaks" kit... not to bad to install, taking the top case off was the only way for my big fingers and bad eyes to get it installed. I also tethered my mirrors before they fell off and rolled down the highway.
The old adage about an ounce of prevention... learn from others mistakes, jump on the opportunity to keep the mishaps from happening. Some coin now can save some paper dollars later.
My latch is doing fine with the kit... would it have broke? Who knows !!

Randy

47' Schwinn Whizzer H
50' Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer J
67' T-100R Triumph Tiger
83' CT100 Honda Trail
86' TR200 Honda Fat Cat
94' FLHR Harley Roadking
04' Von Dutch Cruel World
04' 1200KLT BMW
05' AN400 Suzuki Burgman
06' 250 Aprilla Scarabeo
07' 125 Yamaha Vino
11' Victory Vision

Not enough room to list the "sold" bikes....

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_ryder1964
I bought Evan's "Fix it Before it Breaks" kit... not to bad to install, taking the top case off was the only way for my big fingers and bad eyes to get it installed. I also tethered my mirrors before they fell off and rolled down the highway.
The old adage about an ounce of prevention... learn from others mistakes, jump on the opportunity to keep the mishaps from happening. Some coin now can save some paper dollars later.
My latch is doing fine with the kit... would it have broke? Who knows !!
Well, this will be a winter project for me! I for one don't want to spend triple for something I can get taken care of before it happens. And, I really don't think there's anything else out there for this repair than Evan's FIBIT latch kit. Thanks LT Trunk Latch!

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 9:38 am

Thumbs up Re: top case handel starting to crack

I think the instructions say it can be done in 1/2 an hour, but plan on it taking an hour after you get the trunk off the bike. There's no need to remove the latch from the bike to install the FIBIB kit, which I understand involves drilling some rivets out... I cringe whenever someone mentions drilling on a motorcycle! I installed mine in my living room, that way I could roll the tour pack around on the carpet without having to worry about scratching anything up.
When you get the FIBIB kit you can see right off it has quality machined components, with tight tolerances... well made... well thought out....
It is hard to swallow $125+ for something that's not broken, but when you read all the post of people singing the blues over a broken latch on an otherwise gorgeous bike, it makes the investment well worth it!!

Randy

47' Schwinn Whizzer H
50' Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer J
67' T-100R Triumph Tiger
83' CT100 Honda Trail
86' TR200 Honda Fat Cat
94' FLHR Harley Roadking
04' Von Dutch Cruel World
04' 1200KLT BMW
05' AN400 Suzuki Burgman
06' 250 Aprilla Scarabeo
07' 125 Yamaha Vino
11' Victory Vision

Not enough room to list the "sold" bikes....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in