LT Dealer Maintenance Costs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 5:30 am Thread Starter

LT Dealer Maintenance Costs

This afternoon I'm purchasing an '06 LT with 28,000 miles. It's a trade and the dealer told me the 30,000 mile service is done. So the next service is 36k.I've proven time and time again that I'm not good with fixing things. I usually break something else and/or I'm usually bleeding. If I have a dealer do it, what can I expect to pay? Also. After reading many posts on weeping and wet clutch syndrome; I noticed on my test ride that when I shifted into first and back to first, it wasn't really solid. What I mean is that it didn't click like a lot of bikes. Not sure if that is natural for this bike or not.I'm a new member and really appreciate reading about all this stuff. Any advice is much appreciated.

'06 1200 LT
'98 R1200C (squished by semi)
'07 Harley (sold)
'05 1200 LT (sold)
'98 Harley (sold)
'93 Harley (sold, would have given away)
'84 Honda (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT Dealer Maintenance Costs

Rick,

First thing to do is ask the dealer what he charges.

Then after you pick yourself off the floor check to see if there is someone local that would be willing to help you go through it.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMann
This afternoon I'm purchasing an '06 LT with 28,000 miles. It's a trade and the dealer told me the 30,000 mile service is done. So the next service is 36k.I've proven time and time again that I'm not good with fixing things. I usually break something else and/or I'm usually bleeding. If I have a dealer do it, what can I expect to pay? Also. After reading many posts on weeping and wet clutch syndrome; I noticed on my test ride that when I shifted into first and back to first, it wasn't really solid. What I mean is that it didn't click like a lot of bikes. Not sure if that is natural for this bike or not.I'm a new member and really appreciate reading about all this stuff. Any advice is much appreciated.
Hi Randy,

First, welcome to the BMWLT Forum, and second congratulations on buying your BMW. The issues you are bringing up are real and can be a source of concern for any rider of any brand, but since BMW's get ridden for many miles (more than some brands) they are prone to need maintenance. Here are a few things I would check into this morning when you pick up the bike:
  1. Find out if you can buy an extended service contract on this bike. Service contracts are tricky on what they cover so be careful to get one that covers all mechanical (sadly clutches are not covered because they are a wear item) and "seals/gaskets". Having a protection plan is well worth the costs and having peace of mind for the next few years.
  2. Find out what parts have been replaced in the last 2 years and get documentation of this through BMW records and/or receipts from the previous owner. BMW warranties their parts for two years (including the BMW gel battery if it has one).
  3. Find out what the shop rate is and figure a 2 to 4% increase each year.
  4. Read the FYI and Technical sections of this Forum front and back and become familiar with your machine through the experiences of others; many of which still own their BMW's and have contributed here for 10 years now.
  5. Don't panic at the first few issues that you come across with your machine. Take a deep breath and search the Forum for answers. If you come up empty handed give a shout-out for help.
  6. Attend a tech session at your first opportunity to observe a service. Many on this list have people over to their garage to see what is under the hood of these magnificent machines. Once you practice getting hour hands dirty you will not only save a few dollars you will feel confident you can diagnose and fix your own machine.
Good luck with your purchase and send us a picture of your new ride.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Congrats on your new ride.

With my 00LT, I gently put pressure on my shirt lever and slowly let out the clutch--it pops right into first.

Much of the "normal" changing of the fluids is pretty simple.

The problem is removing the tupperware to get at a few things. You will need an electric screwdriver with a "clutch" or torque setting so that the screw driver stops screwing in the screw rather than you having to gauge when to stop the screw driver.

You will find an answer here for just about every question you have.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I bought my 2006LT with 16.000 miles ....now 3 years later at 58,000 miles.....gas, brakes, fluid changes and tires were my only operating expenses...other than Dealer Maint charges...Im starting to do most maint's now....this site is invalable for any issue's you might have... ..the 1st one is the the most intiminating..then it gets easier......dealer labor costs are crazy...almost all of the labor is removing and reinstalling the tupperware........My bike had a transferable extended warranty, which paid for itself already repairing a broken headlight adjuster....also the peace of mind is priceless... see if you can get one!!....

Taking a 10 day northern Californis trip leaving on this Thursday......Man , I love this bike!!!

welcome to the family...

Last edited by jpiner2; Oct 4th, 2011 at 3:41 pm. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Corp the comments and advice.I got home a little bit ago and already love this bike. I really look forward to learning from everyone and sharing when I can. Thanks again

'06 1200 LT
'98 R1200C (squished by semi)
'07 Harley (sold)
'05 1200 LT (sold)
'98 Harley (sold)
'93 Harley (sold, would have given away)
'84 Honda (sold)
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 8:18 am

Time to start planning a trip south for the winter. :-)

I'll be headed back home soon; riding from Gorham ME to Tucson AZ

best from Gorham
ME

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMann
I usually break something else and/or I'm usually bleeding. If I have a dealer do it, what can I expect to pay?
Sounds like you're going to be bleeding regardless of the choice. Financially or physically. I would go the physical route

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in