Side stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Side stand

Does anyone else think the LT leans a long way over on the side stand? I have an 05 and if I get off and leave my wife on the bike I am afraid it will fall over. I have been using the center stand and not taking the chance.

Thanks Rodgtc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:59 am

I think mine leans about right. Sometimes I pull it over again just to be sure that it is over all the way.
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:28 am

Side stand for fuel that is about all I us it for.
I let the wife set on it once she didn't like the way it leaned and has not stayed on after that and I could not blame her the bike does lean way over with a passenger on while on the side stand

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:07 am

Ditto. For fueling up and use on uneven ground only. I don't trust it at all.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:08 am

I don't have a single issue with the design and functionality of the sidestand on my '02.

TOO LONG! TOO SHORT! TASTE GREAT! LESS FILLING!

Man you guys are tough to please...
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:13 am
kip

sidestand

well....having just returned from bike week in daytona....and having stayed in a campground on typical florida sandy soil.....all i can say is....thank goodness for the handy sidestand plate i had to go under the side stand....there was no way it would have gone up on the centerstand where i was and i was even nervous about the side stand on top of the plastic thing...

I think on pavement the lean is fine.....off pavement its precarious....

99% of the time on pavement i put mine on the centerstand anyway....

I was looking at the new bikes at the bmw exhibit at the daytona speedway and i think the new bike sidestand has a larger foot on it than my 99.....i think i might make one maybe 50% larger and weld it to the existing one....

another 1000 mile round trip though and i am still sure the LT is the best bike on earth for road trips......

Kip
99 LT
Jefferson Ga
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Unless you've bent it or somethings coming lose it should be fine. I've never heard of an LT falling over due to it's factory designed lean angle. Usually it rolls forward enough for the stand to retract or in some cases the the ground was not even or a pot hole swallowed the stand.
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I only use the center stand when I change tires, or do 12Ks.

Bob, 00LT
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I only use the center stand when I change tires, or do 12Ks.

Bob, 00LT
Opposite for most of us. I think the majority only use the sidestand for getting off the bike, and re-fueling. I know that is how I used it.
Occasionally when parking on un-flat surfaces I would use the sidestand it that afforded a better "stance" for the bike, but usually would try to find a place flat enough to use the centerstand.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Unless you've bent it or somethings coming lose it should be fine. I've never heard of an LT falling over due to it's factory designed lean angle.
IIRC, there was a redesign in the LT's sidestand sometime back in '99 or 2000, but the issue was that it was too LONG. Before the redesign, several people complained of the LT falling over. I think Meese was one of them. He'll come along shortly and straighten me out if'n I'm wrong.
post #11 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 2:01 pm

FWIIW, it seems that I remember a post that the side stand on the 99 and 00 placed the bike at a more vertical angle than the current stand. Not only would the bike roll forward off the side stand, but the early bikes could be blown over to the opposite side. This would happen in high winds or if the bike was parked on the shoulder of the road with high speed traffic.

Jim in GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 2:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Actually, it was my '02 that went over, but that was because I parked it badly on the edge of a road. Purely my fault. My '99 did roll forward off the side stand the second day I had it, but now that I always park with it in gear that has never happened again. I will say that is a poor design by BMW, but I've learned to compensate and don't really bitch about it anymore.

But I have also heard of earlier bikes being blown over to the right in a good crosswind. If I think the ground is flat and the conditions good, I'll use the side stand. If I don't like the area, I'll use the center stand, or maybe just move over a few feet. In the garage it's always on the center stand. So I guess it all depends on conditions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Cool

I find a huge difference in my comfort zone depending on the topography where you put the sidestand down. I've found even a small change in the slope reduces my comfort zone. I've learned to find relatively flat surfaces to use and trust my sidestand.
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Smile They DID change the side stand!

Roger-dodger to those who guess the stand was changed. I'm certain of it.

I had a '99, and the side-stand put the bike at a fairly upright angle. I learned like many others to always park it in gear, as the big bugger would role forward off the stand with very little encouragement.

After the '99 was stolen I replaced her with a new '03 model. The sidestand and lower fifth gear ratio were both noticable differences between the two bikes. The lean angle on the '03 is at least 5 degrees lower than on the earlier bike. So much so that I'm really careful now to only use it on level ground. I doubt she'd actually fall over to the left, unless I did something REALLY stupid. But then - it wouldn't be the first time that had happened!

And anyway - humping it up on the centerstand is good for you! Electro-hydraulic centerstands are a step too far, IMHO.

Cheers,

Don

Don Hutchins
Kingston, WA
'03 K12LT "Stealth Starship Helga II"
K 12 Light Trucker since 1999
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Why would your wife stay seated on the bike when it is parked? I'd feel kind of, well, stupid sitting there like that.

You know, it is easier for the passenger to get on & off if the rider is holding a stable and vertical platform. One hand on the top box, one on the shoulder one foot on the peg, step up, step over the saddle, face forward, and sit down. To get off, just reverse it.

I've never had a sidestand drop. I don't understand what the problem is. Haven't any of you guys ever owned an Airhead with the famous self retracting sidestand? (I never dropped one of those either.) Now I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, the greatest rider in the world. I average about 10K/year but in 36 years and 10 motorcycles, I've only dropped three and they were all in motion at the time of the unscheduled get off. This issue perplexes me.

Select your parking spot to plan your graceful departure from the saddle ............ and keep n mind you have to ride out as well.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in